Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Super Friends Appreciation Thread 2019:

This is a continuation of the original thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation-thread

Discuss all things Super Friends:

The show

The SF Comics

The Cast:

Alex Toth designs.

And all the specific Hanna Barbera / Alex Toth Created Heroes:
    Wendy, Marvin, Wonder Dog, Apache, Vulcan, Samurai, Dorado, The Wonder Twins & Gleek!

Created from the Cosmic Reaches of the Universe...!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-05-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

Egad!
    Replying to this here, since we have a new thread!

Hanna Barbera was known for their laps in animation quality.
    Missing frames, extra arms, characters appearing who should be somewhere else, and color errors, etc. among others.
    This particular Batman one famously comes from the Scooby-Doo Batman & Robin crossover.
    Who for the whole episode has the neck of his cowl miscolored

This mistake can actually be traced all the way back to the original production Model sheets Style and Color guide.
    Where it was already miscolored. (assuming the image below is legit, (I got it off Heritage auctions site)
    The neck is correctly marked, but not so clearly as "XBL-A" the same color as the rest of the cowl, cape, gloves, boots etc.
    Yet is wrongly colored "FL-1" the same as the face.
    The cell color guide is marked for Super Friends, yet was likely lent to the Scooby color team.
    While the regular Super Friends colorists would have known to ignore that, and go by the letters XBL-A
    The Scooby colorists just went with what was on the original guide.

The later Toth design, streamlines, and removed some of the line detail under the neck, so it's one solid piece.

Just a guess!?
    And of course this will be of little interest to almost no one. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-05-2019 at 06:39 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Good to see the thread back!

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    https://is5-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Video/7d/51/79/mzl.sdauhsom.jpg/320x320sr.jpg
    Super Friends DVDs ^ had some fun packaging art, although they came out in some crazy inconsistent confusing order...

Great and hysterically dead-pan Super Friends DVD Survival Guide!
    (although he is ( understandably so) not kind to the 4 HB additions, who were may favorites!

Last edited by Güicho; 02-07-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Also blogger Saturday Morning Hangover puts everything in chronological sequential order, to have some consistency and have them on your shelf in a streamlined order.
    They even redesigned the covers, particularly the spines with numbering.
    And made them all available for print.
    Check it out here:
    http://billwalko.tumblr.com/post/140...t-every-volume

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Morning Hangover
    Here’s how it breaks down:

SUPERFRIENDS 1
    4 discs This is the Wendy/Marvin season
    DVD Super Friends (1973) Vol. 1
    DVD Super Friends (1973) Vol. 2
    4 discs total (you see all disc counts on the spines to help)

SUPERFRIENDS 2
    4 discs This includes both DVD releases of the All-New SF Hour (aka season 2)
    DVD Super Friends (1977) The All New Super Friends Hour Vol. 1
    DVD Super Friends (1977) The All New Super Friends Hour Vol. 2

SUPERFRIENDS 3
    2 discs This is the Challenge of the Superfriends release, all 16 episodes; It should be noted that this dvd set was mislabeled as “The First Season″ by the studio
    DVD Super Friends (1978) Challenge of the Super Friends Vol 1

SUPERFRIENDS 4
    2 discs
    Here’s where it gets confusing– the 1978 season, aka the third season, was also an hour; one half was CHALLENGE and the other half was a half hour SF episode with no Legion of Doom; so this is the second half of season 3; It should be noted that this dvd set was mislabeled as “Volume 2, Season One″ by the studio
    DVD Super Friends (1978) Super Friends season 1 Vol 2

SUPERFRIENDS 5
    3 discs These are seasons 4, 5 and 6 - season 4 (World’s Greatest SF) has gotten the most replay through the years.These were the cheapie recent releases with the Garcia-Lopez Style Guide art because everyone stopped caring
    Season 4
    Super Friends (1979) World’s Greatest Super Friends
    Season 5
    Super Friends (1980-81) A Dangerous Fate
    Season 6
    Super Friends (1981-82) Legacy of Super Powers

SUPERFRIENDS 6
    2 discs This was the set known as the “lost episodes”, which were part of the 1983 syndication package
    Super Friends (1983) The Lost Episodes

SUPERFRIENDS 7
    2 discs Firestorm, yo
    Super Friends (1984) The Legendary Super Powers Show

SUPERFRIENDS 8
    2 discs Cyborg, yo. And the last season
    Super Friends (1985) The Super Powers Team, Galactic Guardians

Feel free to share, print and enjoy!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-07-2019 at 09:14 AM.

I've seen this online, I like this packaging better than the real packaging.

You should go to the Wonder Twins thread. I posted new pics of the artwork, and one page has a panel with El Dorado in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Also blogger Saturday Morning Hangover puts everything in chronological sequential order, to have some consistency and have them on your shelf in a streamlined order.
    They even redesigned the covers, particularly the spines with numbering.
    And made them all available for print.
    Check it out here:
    http://billwalko.tumblr.com/post/140...t-every-volume

Actually, this is confusing in its own way because he puts 9 seasons into 8 volumes. Here's how it really went:

Season 1 1973-1974: Super Friends - 16 1-hr eps w/Wendy, Marvin, & Wonder Dog.

1974-1975, 1975-1976, 1976-1977 TV seasons:
    reruns or nothing

Season 2 1977-1978: The All New Super Friends Hour - 15 1-hr eps intro Wonder Twins & Gleek. Each ep had 4 segments & educational interstitials. Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, and Samurai are introduced in this season. Features the rainbow swirl "SF" logo scene change.

Season 3 1978-1979: Challenge of the Superfriends - 16 1-hr eps intro Legion of Doom. Each ep had 2 segments: 1st half hour was Superfriends w/Wonder Twins, 2nd half hour was Justice League vs. Legion of Doom. This version proved so popular that it was expanded to 90 minutes during the season to include a half hour of reruns from The All New Super Friends Hour. The triple-starburst scene change is introduced.

Season 4 1979-1980: The World's Greatest Superfriends - 8 1-hr eps (30 minutes new combined with 30 minutes of reruns). Again, it was just the 5 Superfriends w/Wonder Twins in stories often adapted from literature (e.g. The Hobbit, Camelot). Also contains the "Universe of Evil" Earth-3esque episode. Wonder Twins role is downplayed in this season.

Season 5 1980-1981: The Superfriends - 8 1-hr eps (30 minutes new combined with 30 minutes of reruns). Each new half hour was made up of 3 cartoon shorts.

Season 6 1981-1982: The Superfriends - 6 30 min eps. Each new half hour was made up of 3 cartoon shorts. El Dorado is introduced in this season.

Season 7 1982-1983: The Superfriends - 8 30 min eps. Each new half hour was made up of 3 cartoon shorts. This is the "lost season" that did air overseas in Australia for example, but did not air in the United States until the 1990s as part of the syndicated The Superman/Batman Adventures show that aired on USA Cartoon Express among other places.

1982-1983, 1983-1984 TV seasons: reruns or nothing in USA

Season 8 1984-1985: Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show - 8 30 min eps. Each episode is made up of 2 cartoon shorts. This series introduces Firestorm and the Fourth World characters into the mix. Adam West replaces Olan Soule as the voice of Batman. Aquaman does not really appear in this season or the next.

Season 9 1985-1986: The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episodes -
    8 30 min eps. The Superfriends name is abandoned, the Hall of Justice is redesigned, and the Wonder Twins are gone without explanation. Narrator William Woodson is also mostly gone as is the triple-starburst scene change. Cyborg of the Teen Titans is made part of the team. Batman's origin is told for the first time outside of comics.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 02-07-2019 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Actually, this is confusing in its own way because he puts 9 seasons into 8 volumes. Here's
    Well to be fair, he clearly states:
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Morning Hangover
    I’ve bought every volume of the SUPERFRIENDS dvd sets. But the packaging and numbering was inconsistent and confusing. So I called upon my photoshop powers to create a redesign worthy of the series, with everything in chronological sequential order!

(You’ll also save some shelf space by combining some of the dvd releases;
    So he told you what he was doing.
    just sharing it and the above video as testament to the confusion, and curiosity.
    If you have, or are thinking of getting the DVDs by all means be aware, work it out, make your own covers, and compile it how you must -.

Just remember kids, the most important thing is do it safely!

Actually, this is confusing in its own way because he puts 9 seasons into 8 volumes. Here's how it really went:

Season 1 1973-1974: Super Friends - 16 1-hr eps w/Wendy, Marvin, & Wonder Dog.

1974-1975, 1975-1976, 1976-1977 TV seasons:
    reruns or nothing

Season 2 1977-1978: The All New Super Friends Hour - 15 1-hr eps intro Wonder Twins & Gleek. Each ep had 4 segments & educational interstitials. Black Vulcan, Apache Chief, and Samurai are introduced in this season. Features the rainbow swirl "SF" logo scene change.

Season 3 1978-1979: Challenge of the Superfriends - 16 1-hr eps intro Legion of Doom. Each ep had 2 segments: 1st half hour was Superfriends w/Wonder Twins, 2nd half hour was Justice League vs. Legion of Doom. This version proved so popular that it was expanded to 90 minutes during the season to include a half hour of reruns from The All New Super Friends Hour. The triple-starburst scene change is introduced.

Season 4 1979-1980: The World's Greatest Superfriends - 8 1-hr eps (30 minutes new combined with 30 minutes of reruns). Again, it was just the 5 Superfriends w/Wonder Twins in stories often adapted from literature (e.g. The Hobbit, Camelot). Also contains the "Universe of Evil" Earth-3esque episode. Wonder Twins role is downplayed in this season.

Season 5 1980-1981: The Superfriends - 8 1-hr eps (30 minutes new combined with 30 minutes of reruns). Each new half hour was made up of 3 cartoon shorts.

Season 6 1981-1982: The Superfriends - 6 30 min eps. Each new half hour was made up of 3 cartoon shorts. El Dorado is introduced in this season.

Season 7 1982-1983: The Superfriends - 8 30 min eps. Each new half hour was made up of 3 cartoon shorts. This is the "lost season" that did air overseas in Australia for example, but did not air in the United States until the 1990s as part of the syndicated The Superman/Batman Adventures show that aired on USA Cartoon Express among other places.

1982-1983, 1983-1984 TV seasons: reruns or nothing in USA

Season 8 1984-1985: Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show - 8 30 min eps. Each episode is made up of 2 cartoon shorts. This series introduces Firestorm and the Fourth World characters into the mix. Adam West replaces Olan Soule as the voice of Batman. Aquaman does not really appear in this season or the next.

Season 9 1985-1986: The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episodes -
    8 30 min eps. The Superfriends name is abandoned, the Hall of Justice is redesigned, and the Wonder Twins are gone without explanation. Narrator William Woodson is also mostly gone as is the triple-starburst scene change. Cyborg of the Teen Titans is made part of the team. Batman's origin is told for the first time outside of comics.
    Thanks Comic-Reader Lad for the excellent break down.
    Those are some great recaps, and informative firsts and nuances for each seasons. Very useful.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-08-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Although the first three were introduced earlier, in the "Challenge" era, I think this^ season intro left the biggest impact on me as a kid. As it so matter-of-factly conveyed the four new characters (who I still didn't know were non-DC heroes), as members of the World's Greatest Heroes and shouted them out, in the intro narration roll-call.
    This became so ingrained in my mind, they forever remained part of the JL, even though I couldn't find them anywhere in the comics LOL!

Edit: Continued....
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2019 at 04:13 PM.

...and it looks like that might be changing.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    You should go to the Wonder Twins thread. I posted new pics of the artwork, and one page has a panel with El Dorado in it.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I know I need to be getting this book, I didn't ask for it ahead of time, and my local store didn't order any. So was just going to wait for the trade. (and sadly I end up avoiding the inciting thread for spoilers)
    I might go ahead and track down the single issues. Yes it looks like fun!
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-08-2019 at 12:26 PM.

How about a post about what the All New Super Friends Hour could've been?

I found a website called Noblemania, and they have a number of posts about The Super Friends. They have pics, and interviews with the writers, production team, and voice actors.

According to what they've found, the original plans for the Wonder Twins were pretty different.

The kids would still be from Exxor, but their look and powers would be very different. Dick (Zan) would have powers similar to Plastic Man. Jayne (Jayna) would still be a shape shifter, but would be able to shift into anything. Animals, trees, boulders, whatever she decides.

https://www.noblemania.com/2011/07/s...80s-super.html

After the site opens, click on the link titled "Darrell McNeil, animator" and you'll get a lot of info, and images that go with this image below, describing what the plans were for the show and these characters.

Last edited by CellarDweller; 04-06-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I love how Hal has that tan - were they just like, "Well, he's from California..."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I love how Hal has that tan - were they just like, "Well, he's from California..."
    I know. As a kid I even thought that Hal went surfing.