Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Why was Wally doing...

when Barry came back? I'm talking about the 2009-2011 period including Flashpoint. What stories was he involved in? And what was his role in Flashpoint?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wally helped capture Eobard Thawne in Flash Rebirth and fought the Black Lanterns alongside the other heroes in Blackest Night.

In Flashpoint, he's Iris' assistant and was killed while investigating Citizen Cold.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The short answer to your question is 'Bugger all'.

After the Rebirth mini series Wally was shunted off into the background and did pretty much nothing during Geoff Johns' Flash relaunch issues.
    Then again, the rest of the Flash Family were ignored as well, so he wasn't alone.
    He made a cameo in Blackest Night working with Barry, but again - it all amounted to very little.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    when Barry came back? I'm talking about the 2009-2011 period including Flashpoint. What stories was he involved in? And what was his role in Flashpoint?
    Wally was excised from all the comics he featured in when Barry came back, even the ones that had nothing to do with Barry.

The reason is because DC wanted as little Wally around as possible so that people would only have Barry to read. This goal extended into Flashpoint and the New 52. Wally only had one appearance after Flash Rebirth, and that was Barry's "intervention" issue where he is only there to speak about how great Barry is.
    Last edited by Dred; 10-02-2019 at 10:28 PM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Wally was excised from all the comics he featured in when Barry came back, even the ones that had nothing to do with Barry.
    When i said there was an edict to keep Wally off books back then, people called me crazy. Heh.

The reason is because DC wanted as little Wally around as possible so that people would only have Barry to read. This goal extended into Flashpoint and the New 52. Wally only had one appearance after Flash Rebirth, and that was Barry's "intervention" issue where he is only there to speak about how great Barry is.
    That's not exactly true. Wally had 2 small cameos (one with no lines) During the whole Cry for Justice/Rise of Arsenal debacle, one at that same period in Titans (written by Berganza, and a disgusting story), one holiday special (which was probably non-canon, but followed the then current continuity) and featured in a whole issue of Magog, written and drawn by Scott Kollins, I believe.

Outside of the Magog issue, all those appearances were limited to a page or two.

Relevant fact: the rise of Arsenal and Holiday issues are the only two instances where we can see DickBats and Wally as Flash together, and they're both inconsequential and small. Because DC is stupid.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    The short answer to your question is 'Bugger all'.

After the Rebirth mini series Wally was shunted off into the background and did pretty much nothing during Geoff Johns' Flash relaunch issues.
    Then again, the rest of the Flash Family were ignored as well, so he wasn't alone.
    He made a cameo in Blackest Night working with Barry, but again - it all amounted to very little.
    This!!!!!!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Wally and the rest of the Flash family were supposed to be featured in a second ongoing series called "Speed Force." Johns even announced it at a panel back in 2010. But then it just got dropped once Flashpoint and New 52 happened.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Wally and the rest of the Flash family were supposed to be featured in a second ongoing series called "Speed Force." Johns even announced it at a panel back in 2010. But then it just got dropped once Flashpoint and New 52 happened.
    It dropped once Flash Rebirth vastly undersold their prediction. They figured a Flash Family book would take straining sales away from Barry and make Barry's comic look worse. It was dropped well before the New 52 or Flashpoint. A full year before Flashpoint, actually. It was supposed to launch right after Rebirth (which had massive delays and pushed it and Flash vol 3 back nearly a year).
    Last edited by Dred; 10-03-2019 at 05:32 AM.

It dropped once Flash Rebirth vastly undersold their prediction. They figured a Flash Family book would take straining sales away from Barry and make Barry's comic look worse. It was dropped well before the New 52 or Flashpoint. A full year before Flashpoint, actually. It was supposed to launch right after Rebirth (which had massive delays and pushed it and Flash vol 3 back nearly a year).
    Are there any quotes from creators or anything stating this or just speculation? The panel it was announced at was in June of 2010, and Johns stated it was going to come out in 2011. New 52 started in August of 2011. It's safe to assume by the time the wheels started rolling on the Speed Force series they knew New 52 was coming up and the series would have just been dropped anyway.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Are there any quotes from creators or anything stating this or just speculation? The panel it was announced at was in June of 2010, and Johns stated it was going to come out in 2011. New 52 started in August of 2011. It's safe to assume by the time the wheels started rolling on the Speed Force series they knew New 52 was coming up and the series would have just been dropped anyway.
    It was said long after the fact but Manapul has explicitly said DC did not allow Wally to appear in comics for fear of it taking the spotlight off of Barry. He specifically wanted to use Wally more and was denied. He was talking about the New 52 but the behavior started after Flash Rebirth.

Didio said there would be no Flash Family book very soon after Flash volume 3 launched, telling people at panels that if they wanted to read The Flash they should read Barry instead and that Wally was on the "backburner."

This is stuff picked up from the now basically dead Comicbloc forum posts and Newsrama. I'm not sure if any of the links are still alive from the time though. It might be up somewhere on speedforce.org still but it'd take hours to sift through the thousands of posts they have to find anything.

We were also told that the first two issues of the Speed Force comic were fully drawn (Via Scott Kolins), ready to be inked and lettered before Flash Rebirth even finished (which is probably why Johns assumed it would still be coming out). They're still sitting on a shelf somewhere.

They were also planning a separate Kid Flash series if I remember correctly.

edit: here we go, announced in December of 09, effective for 2010, only Barry: https://speedforce.org/2009/12/all-barry/ Sadly the link to the video and the video itself are long dead but the post has no reason to be fake.

I suppose they used more vague language like "on hold" but it's a joke to consider anything that they were doing less than dangling a carrot and giving a stick, as Kelson put it. Johns holding out hope while everyone knows everything Flash got cancelled for Barry was common knowledge at the time.
    Last edited by Dred; 10-03-2019 at 09:07 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Speed Force was supposed to be released in 2010. The only two instances where that was mentioned was tyhe panel you say and an interview with Johns on Newsarama a few months later.

There are tons of creator quotes on this whole thing if you know where to look, and Manapul and Buccelato were particularly open about it once the New52 rolled out.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

The hilarious thing about it was that they spent over a year promising up and down things like how they love Wally so much and they'd never dream of getting rid of Wally all through the announcement until Flash Rebirth's conclusion. You'd get Johns promising fans that he loves Wally so much and how he'd never let him get cast aside. Quotes like Wally's not only going to be fine, he's going to kick ass. Didio constantly mentioned Kyle Rayner, which was actually the red flag most fans caught on to because Green Lantern Rebirth was bad for Kyle at the benefit of Hal.

For a year and a half fans were constantly grilling Didio and Johns about Wally, and they promised (and lied through their teeth) up and down that they weren't screwing Wally. And they immediately got rid of him. And it wasn't a matter of cost, either, because they'd literally already paid the writers and artists for the speed force comics (as I mentioned earlier, Kolins had already drawn a good chunk of it, and the artist doesn't start drawing until they're paid). It was nothing but making sure Barry was the only Flash on the shelves for people to read.

I must have been completely out to lunch during that whole proposed Speed Force book thing, or I've completely blocked it from memory as I have absolutely no recollection of it. And now I'm sitting here devastated it never happened.

Astonishing Member

They made a lot of fucking promises right after Barry coming back was announced. Fat lot of bullshit it was. I remember it all quite vividly and the two faced lying is one of the many reasons I dislike Didio. I used to harbor a lot more resentment for Johns but time has proven that, given the chance, he wouldn't have let it happen. But he didn't have a chance. Didio has only further cemented himself.
    Last edited by Dred; 10-03-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

edit: here we go, announced in December of 09, effective for 2010, only Barry: https://speedforce.org/2009/12/all-barry/ Sadly the link to the video and the video itself are long dead but the post has no reason to be fake.
    Oh dear. Oh yeah. This is the first time I read the blog and the comments. There's no way that's a fake. I recognize that frustration and anger. Especially with the Barry vs Wally fans in the comments.