1 2.04%
  • Li'l Gotham

9 18.37%
  • Batman '66

3 6.12%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Detective is solid with the new creative team. I'm hoping for a reboot on Catwoman and Birds of Prey! I think we may see an ongoing with Red Robin as he seems to be getting a lot of play in Futures End.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason the slasher guy View Post
    Is Scott Snyder's Batman the only monthly Batbook worth a damn right now? I think it is ,and it's the only one I'm currently reading.
    I think that this thread could have been a fairly interesting thread about the significance that editorial seemingly places on Snyder's work at the (possible) expense of other Batman titles or even a discussion about the quality of Snyder's work but the OP's post is extremely inflammatory which is not making a valid point beyond personal taste. I am sorry if this post is equally inflammatory but I was really excited to read a thread that would lead to an interesting discourse on one of the guiding writers of the current generation of Batbooks.

So to answer the question: Snyder's Batman is "worth a damn" if it is to your taste as are all the other books being published in the line. Tastes are highly subjective and Snyder is writing for a very broad audience that is not highly reflective of the various niches that make Batman a character that can also appeal to marginalized cult tastes. Batman has always been a populace character but sometimes reflects a charm that is not always as mainstream as other a-list heroes.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 06-14-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Snyder and Capullo's Batman is the best book DC is publishing, but no, there are other really good Batbooks out there, too. Detective Comics has been great lately and with time could be just as awesome as the main Batbook. Batman Eternal has been strong, too. Also, Batman & ...., while hit or miss sometimes, is more hit, than miss.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

And let's not forget the glory that is Batman '66.

I actually think the Bat-books are quite strong - between Snyder/Capullo's Batman, Batman '66, the new 'Tec stuff, and Tomassi's 'Brave and the Bold' style book, there's plenty of good stuff going on.

I prefer 'Tec to Batman at the moment.
    If you are not reading Lazarus, you should be.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

This is one of the best times to be a Batman fan.

Batman: A.M.A.Z.I.G.

Detective Comics: Beautiful!

Batman and...: Outrageous!

Eternal: Fast and Furious!

Batman Superman: Good!

Batman '66: Classic!

Future's End: Hobo-rific!

Batman Beyond: Exciting!

Side note: Batman and... Get's a lot of hate here on the CBR forums but it is in fact a very exciting and fun comic. By far some of the best Batman work being done right now.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 06-14-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Snyder and Capullo's Batman is the best book DC is publishing, but no, there are other really good Batbooks out there, too. Detective Comics has been great lately and with time could be just as awesome as the main Batbook. Batman Eternal has been strong, too. Also, Batman & ...., while hit or miss sometimes, is more hit, than miss.
    Big surprise coming... I disagree.

Snyder's stories always start with these epic ideas but I'm invariably disappointed in his conclusions. I have other problems too, but I've gone into that several times on other threads. I do agree that Capullo's art is always top notch, and some of the best anywhere.

I also agree that 'Tec has been great. We are only three issues in, but it is the DC title I am most excited about every month.
    Eternal has been enjoyable but the fact that by issue 10 it's still set-up stories makes it feel like it's going to be eternal (yeah, yeah, bad joke).
    As for Batman&___ I would say it's been mostly miss since Damian's death, but the fan opinions here have been mixed. I personally thought the Aquaman and WW issues were worthless, but the Frankenstein issue was outstanding.
    Nightwing was really starting to hit a groove even without a consistent artist, but TPB wanted to do something epic in FE so they decided to kill Nightwing. Then they brought in some outside talent to put him down. Nightwing deserved a better send off than that.
    Batman '66 has been pretty epic in it's own way. Fact is for a lot of people Adam West will always be Batman.

I'm just getting back into comics, so the only titles I'm reading from DC right now are Batman, Batman: Eternal and Future's End. So for me, the answer is a defaulted yes. I would love to add Batgirl and maybe Detective Comics into the mix, but the budget just isn't there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetectiveStrange View Post
    And let's not forget the glory that is Batman '66.
    Forget it? It's the BEST Batbook coming out right now!

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post

Detective Comics: Beautiful!

Batman and...: Outrageous!

Eternal: Fast and Furious!
    Ha, well said.

I agree, I think three years in the New 52 is hitting it's peak, in the Batman line at least. The core books have all been some very sorry periods lately but at the moment they're each pretty damn great in their own unique ways. There's ALOT going on, it's all well coordinated and the role of each book is clearly defined. Add Grayson to core books above and whatever Bat Family books float your boat and you're laughing.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Don't consider Inc. part of the New 52, just one last old DCU story where everyone's wearing the wrong costumes. So for me, pretty much just Snyder's stuff and "Born to Kill". Eternal's good so far too.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by GLFan5994 View Post

What the heck does "A.M.A.Z.I.G." stand for?

Zero Year
    Court of the Owls (#1-#12)
    Batwoman: World's Finest
    Batwoman: Hydrology
    The Killer Croc spotlight issue on Batwoman, I forget what issue it was
    Batman / Superman, the first arc was quite good.

DoTF was a let down on Snyder's run.

As a side note, Tec has been a wild ride for me - I really feel like I wasted money on Layman's run, I dropped it after Emperor Penguin. I mean I endured four issues of Daniel's launch but Im ok with it for collecting purposes, not so with what came after. However, the amount of praise that Tec keeps getting with the new creative team is tempting me to check it out again though.

Havent read any of the other Bat related books

Default Is there anyone here that manages to just read one Batbook?

I've settled on Scott Snyder's Batman

Plus it's easier on my wallet that way.

Scott Snyder is over-rated these days.

I'm down to Detective Comics and Batman Eternal. (Also started picking up Batman & ___________ again, but just for The Hunt for Robin.)