Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thrash By Night Dwayne Taylor Appreciation 2019

during my formative years, he was probably the comic book character who has the most influence over me. i'm not sure why he faded out of continuity for so long. because, on paper, he's about as positive a portrayal of a minority character that Marvel could muster. he didn't have his own country like T'challa. but he was independently wealthy and actually devoted his money/resources to improving the world around him. he did rely on skill and training over superpowers. he could get others to follow his lead. he's had several distinctive looks. I miss Dwayne a lot. I hope a writer comes along who similarly appreciates the character.

I can't recall which metal band Dwayne's favorite was (or is now)? probably not Anthrax or Slayer. that'd be a bit on the nose. Sepultura? how did he even get into that music? did Chord introduce him? I sat with a lot of metalheads at lunch (high school). otherwise, it was all R&B and Depeche Mode.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-06-2019 at 06:53 AM.

BANNED

This Character is the reason why I became a hardcore Comicbook fan..

Quote Originally Posted by Montez View Post
    This Character is the reason why I became a hardcore Comicbook fan..
    cool. did you read any of his solo series? I'm only missing a few issues (some adventure in Wakanda).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post

during my formative years, he was probably the comic book character who has the most influence over me. i'm not sure why he faded out of continuity for so long. because, on paper, he's about as positive a portrayal of a minority character that Marvel could muster. he didn't have his own country like T'challa. but he was independently wealthy and actually devoted his money/resources to improving the world around him. he did rely on skill and training over superpowers. he could get others to follow his lead. he's had several distinctive looks. I miss Dwayne a lot. I hope a writer comes along who similarly appreciates the character.
    You answered your own question lol

Quote Originally Posted by Amenra11 View Post
    You answered your own question lol
    it just seems like something they'd want; at least for bragging rights. isn't that why Ms.Marvel got such a big push?

I miss him a lot. I was introduced to him during volume 1 of new warriors. I also followed his solo series.

Having him killed during civil war was a travesty. There's no way Thrash would sanction at reality TV show.

Ultimate Member

I always thought Thrash was an interesting part of the Warriors, and always thought it was a damn shame that they pigeon holed his half brother Bandit into his costume during the post Civil Wars era of the New Warriors.

From the start, he had great guerilla tactics when it came to fighting crime (the Hot Dog guy outside of Avengers mansion, and hacking the defunct Shield database), and I think was built up into a convincing bad ass (giving as good as he got against Punisher). Really wish more writers would use him.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I miss him a lot. I was introduced to him during volume 1 of new warriors. I also followed his solo series.

Having him killed during civil war was a travesty. There's no way Thrash would sanction at reality TV show.
    Thankfully, for everyone here who loves Night Thrasher, Al Ewing undid his death in Contest of Champions. Long story made short, Night Thrasher was one of the champions summoned for the contest, taken from right before the point of his death, and after the series was canceled, he had a short vignette in Civil War II: Choosing Sides. Shame nothing's been done with him since then. I'd love to see him bring the New Warriors back together and maybe set up a more effective mentorship program for young superheroes. (Avengers Academy isn't around anymore as far as I can tell, so . . .)
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Said it before, I'll say it again, I've always had a soft spot for Dwayne. Remember him back during the "Round Robin" storyline back in Amazing Spider-Man:

I was a total sucker for anyone doing martial arts anything back in the day and Night Thrasher looked so cool doing it.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post

Agreed, Thrash has had several distinctive looks throughout the years. My favorite is from Four Control. Too bad this look was so transitory.
    thrash2.jpg
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-06-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I always thought Thrash was an interesting part of the Warriors, and always thought it was a damn shame that they pigeon holed his half brother Bandit into his costume during the post Civil Wars era of the New Warriors.

From the start, he had great guerilla tactics when it came to fighting crime (the Hot Dog guy outside of Avengers mansion, and hacking the defunct Shield database), and I think was built up into a convincing bad ass (giving as good as he got against Punisher). Really wish more writers would use him.
    Agreed. Also, don't forget Thrash's berserker rages and his need for Firestar to talk him down. Always found their unexplained, singular bond rather intriguing.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-06-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Incredible Member

I would love to see Dwayne featured in a solo series focusing on him working out Baltimore and trying to pick up the pieces of his shattered life. His team, company, and resources gone. Would be cool to see how he would adapt to his new environment without the backing of the friends and money he originally had during his run with the New Warriors. Might be interesting to see him become more of a hacktivist considering his skill set, with the series expanding on him making use of his talents as a weapon designer and computer literacy. Transition him away from some of the more 90's tropes Marvel has bogged him down in and shift him towards more of a Watch_Dog's 2 vibe.

If Marvel isn't going to use Night Thrasher in an urban, cyberpunk setting though then why not just go on and make him the cosmic equivalent of Iron Man? Might be cool to see him placed in a (credible) situation that takes him off planet and see him adapt to being behind the technological curve even more-so than he would be on earth with characters like Tony and Peter. Marvel already has a habit of taking planetside characters like Venom (Flash), Kitty Pryde, Jack Flagg, Tony Stark, Scott Lang, Angela, etc. and transferring them into the cosmic scene with no real rhyme or reason, at least this way it could make for an interesting attempt to actually salvage a character for a change oppose to just needlessly shoehorning someone onto a team just to bolster ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thankfully, for everyone here who loves Night Thrasher, Al Ewing undid his death in Contest of Champions. Long story made short, Night Thrasher was one of the champions summoned for the contest, taken from right before the point of his death, and after the series was canceled, he had a short vignette in Civil War II: Choosing Sides. Shame nothing's been done with him since then. I'd love to see him bring the New Warriors back together and maybe set up a more effective mentorship program for young superheroes. (Avengers Academy isn't around anymore as far as I can tell, so . . .)
    I actually liked Contest of Champions. and that kind of set-up is not my thing. it was cool to see him play off of another group (that wasn't the new warriors). kind of wish that he was still part of that non-team of Falcon, Misty Knight, etc. he might make a decent Defender (if we're talking about the street level version).

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. Also, don't forget Thrash's berserker rages and his need for Firestar to talk him down. Always found their unexplained, singular bond rather intriguing.
    weird. I don't even remember that aspect of it. is there an issue in particular where this is highlighted? Dwayne could be, generally, abrasive (he blackmailed Firestar into joining). but I guess that I always associated the beserker rages with Rage. i think my favorite stuff (because it was where i was first exposed to the characters) was the Child's Play crossover with X-Force. it was a lot of fun to see them go head-to-head with Cable's soldiers. and Dwayne hanging out at the Hellfire Club was pretty cool, as well.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-07-2019 at 08:19 AM.