Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What is the comic industry like in the 616 universe?

This was one of those "bigger thinking" kind of questions I had today. What do you guys think? Are there any scans of comic talk in Marvel comics?

The new Beetle from the Superior Foes of Spider-Man robbed a comic store once.

It was a very disappointing heist.

Invincible Member

In the 616 Universe there is a comic book company called Marvel Comics. They publish the official Fantastic Four comic book. There's been a few stories where heroes actually go to the Marvel offices. The ones that come immediately to mind are when the FF were chasing the Impossible man throughout the company, there was a similar X-Men annual in the 80's. I'm too lazy to go find it but there was a Peter David issue of Capt Marvel where the bad guy needed a virgin for sacrifice and he thought he'd find one at a comic book store.

I wanna say late 90's Marvel published one shots of the fictional comics from the 616 universe.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

She-Hulk's series had some of that. They recorded stories in comic books and used them for trials, or something. It was too meta for me, but a more cheerful person might enjoy that.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

In 616, Marvel Comics only started publishing in the year 2001 when the Fantastic Four went into space and the Marvel Universe was born.

I'm not sure how they cope with publishing comics in real time since they don't (I imagine?) have a sliding time scale.

Deadpool references his own comics. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    She-Hulk's series had some of that. They recorded stories in comic books and used them for trials, or something. It was too meta for me, but a more cheerful person might enjoy that.
    yeah they would go to the long boxes for comics that gave info for super hero trials.

Well, back in a 2011 issue of wolverine and the x-men there was this brochure of the school:

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, back in a 2011 issue of wolverine and the x-men there was this brochure of the school:

That's pretty cool. Kirby and Morrison are in the 616! I wonder if comics focus around the marvel heroes in the marvel universe or if they branch out into other fictional brands and series. I would think Deadpool would get a kick out of reading a comic about himself, while he is in a comic, and in turn, fully understanding that he is in a fictional universe. Comic-comiception?

There's been writers in the Marvel U. since Stan and Jack were turned away from Reed and Sue's wedding by Nick Fury.

There was a miniseries a few years back that showed what the in universe comics are like. It was called Marvel Comics Group.

BANNED

In Peter David's Captain Marvel series, Rick Jones and his wife, Marlo , were supporting characters. Marlo was either the owner or manager of a comic shop, and some
    issues had extended scenes in it. The deal with She Hulk was the law firm had a huge inventory of back issues and a continuity geek in charge of it so they could
    reference legal precedents in Marvel history.

Wasn't Steve Rogers in the 616 at one time some kind of commercial artist, perhaps even a comics artist?

I thought the Sentry's stories were after he made himself forgotten actually turned into comics in the 616 universe.

I think so, yeah. I think it came up during Avenging Spider-Man during a Spidey-Cap team-up, too. The latter is also true- in fact, an in-universe Paul Jenkins was shown in the first Sentry arc in New Avengers.

Incredible Member

Several years back, Marvel published a few single issue comics of Marvel comics as they would appear in the Marvel Universe. Among the titles they released:

X-Men:A Suicide Squad-like take on Marvel's merry mutants that was written by (IIRC) Mark Millar. It wasn't terribly good.
    Daredevil: In the MU version, Daredevil is a Ghost Rider like character, actually possessed by a demon who comes out and wreaks vengeance.
    Thor: This was a really interesting one. "Thor" is actually just a superheroic identity of a man who possesses a powerful technological hammer. His father was the original Thor, but passed the mantle on to his son. His other son, jealous that he didn't inherit the title, plots against his brother (a la Loki). The issue was written as if it was the latest chapter in an ongoing title, not so much a stand-alone like the others.
    Captain America: Like Thor, this was also written as the latest serial installment. It was "written" by Rick Jones, with "art" by Steve Rogers (who used to draw for Marvel Comics in the 616-verse, during Mark Gruenwald's Cap run). PAD is the actual writer. It was kind of fun. Rick was time traveling and ended up teaming up with Bucky. Probably the best of these titles.
    Spider-Man: Spider-Man of the Marvel Universe's Marvel Comics is a Venom-like monster, and (as J Jonah Jameson always claims) something of a menace.

I want to say there was a Fantastic Four one, too, but I'm not 100% certain if there was or if I'm confusing that with the various "Before the Four" series that came out around the same time.

I still own all of these (or at least most; I may have gotten rid of the X-Men one). They were a lot of fun, but I'd have to reread them to recall more specifics.

EDIT: Added links to the individual issues. There actually was an FF one, too, but as I recall it was a little bit different than the others. I seem to recall thinking that it was treated just like any other issue of FF or something. Which- considering that the FF don't have secret identities in the MU might account for it, but for some reason my recollection is that perhaps the writer just didn't get the memo that these were supposed to be their adventures as written by people living in the MU, and not the FF themselves. Or maybe it was something weird like them reading a comic about their adventures. I can't recall. But it didn't seem to gel with the theme of the other issues.

In any case, it was pretty clever, and a couple of those I think would have been cool to see as more than just single issue stories. This was back when Marvel was still doing some innovative and risky things with their publishing line, as opposed to just throwing more and more of the same-y stuff on the page and forcing crossovers through all their lines to make people buy five titles just to have a complete story.
    Last edited by Cthulhudrew; 06-21-2014 at 10:38 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhudrew View Post

EDIT: Added links to the individual issues. There actually was an FF one, too, but as I recall it was a little bit different than the others. I seem to recall thinking that it was treated just like any other issue of FF or something. Which- considering that the FF don't have secret identities in the MU might account for it, but for some reason my recollection is that perhaps the writer just didn't get the memo that these were supposed to be their adventures as written by people living in the MU, and not the FF themselves. Or maybe it was something weird like them reading a comic about their adventures. I can't recall. But it didn't seem to gel with the theme of the other issues.

It had been previously established that the FF comic in the 616 universe is a comic that's authorized by the Fantastic Four and that the stories within were based on their actual adventures. So it stands to reason that the "fake" comic would read like a normal issue.

In the Impossible Man story from the 70's, there's a scene were Stan Lee is talking to the Marvel staffers at the time. They all worried because the FF hadn't come back from space yet to tell them their story. Stan is like, "Maybe we can just make up some stories?" And the other guys are like, "Instead of what really happened? We can't do that!"