Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    He was certainly an unexpected treat in that issue. Wait a second . . . if Midnight's Fire is in there, how long until Night Thrasher comes around recruiting for a "new" New Warriors?
    Iron Heart's in Champions, riffing in the Warriors' 'change the world' motto. He might show up, but not to recruit Riri.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Iron Heart's in Champions, riffing in the Warriors' 'change the world' motto. He might show up, but not to recruit Riri.
    I'd love a team-up between a resurgent New Warriors and the Champions. It would be very interesting to compare and contrast what "superhumans changing the world" meant in the 90s versus what that could (or would) mean in today's context.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Ultimate Member

I'd love a team-up between a resurgent New Warriors and the Champions. It would be very interesting to compare and contrast what "superhumans changing the world" meant in the 90s versus what that could (or would) mean in today's context.
    In today's context, it means playing it safe and not taking a position that could be deemed offensive

Which, to be clear, I don't mind for some characters. But if your premise is 'change the world', then you gotta offend a little, ya know?

The Champions tagline is actually "Because the World Still Needs Heroes". Due to the fact they were formed as a result of heroes fighting each other. It is true that the Champions and New Warriors pretty much have the same remit though.

Thrash was clearly the armored warrior Riri reminded Midnight's Fire of, but isn't another New Warrior just as likely to show up? Silhouette, MF's sister.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-14-2019 at 01:25 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Thankful for Night Thrasher that his name can been seen "Thrasher" as in beat the crap out of something and skateboarding does not have to play a part. Night thrasher costume has really cool elements
    Honestly, I was never into the whole Skateboarding scene in the 90's... so 'beating the crap out of people... at night' was always the definition I assumed. It wasn't even till recently I connected the 'thrasher' part with the skateboard fad.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Champions tagline is actually "Because the World Still Needs Heroes"..
    Which is still a reused catchphrase...

But it's an awesome catchphrase so I let it pass ;P I still get chills when I see that on Thunderstrike's Mace. Man I miss Eric...
    Last edited by phantom1592; 02-14-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In today's context, it means playing it safe and not taking a position that could be deemed offensive

Which, to be clear, I don't mind for some characters. But if your premise is 'change the world', then you gotta offend a little, ya know?
    Dwayne never seemed to be all that concerned about offending people. but their team was, arguably, progressive (well Nita mostly). Thrash went through a period of purposely throwing money at problems.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Dwayne never seemed to be all that concerned about offending people. but their team was, arguably, progressive (well Nita mostly). Thrash went through a period of purposely throwing money at problems.
    Fabian, IMO, was always held back by the constraints of the genre back then. I remember him wanting to do an AIDS plotline with Nomad, but was rejected.

His Warriors was good despite that, IMO. Recognizing the moral complexity of the Middle East, for instance.

I think Thrash could easily be the leader to lead a team team into the mire, so to speak.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

The Champions tagline is actually "Because the World Still Needs Heroes". Due to the fact they were formed as a result of heroes fighting each other. It is true that the Champions and New Warriors pretty much have the same remit though.

Thrash was clearly the armored warrior Riri reminded Midnight's Fire of, but isn't another New Warrior just as likely to show up? Silhouette, MF's sister.
    Silhouette would be great to see in Ironheart as well, come to think of it, and given her and Dwayne's history . . . if Dwayne ever did try to restart the New Warriors, I figure she'd be one of the first people he contacted. Maybe even just to let her know he's alive (again).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly, I was never into the whole Skateboarding scene in the 90's... so 'beating the crap out of people... at night' was always the definition I assumed. It wasn't even till recently I connected the 'thrasher' part with the skateboard fad.

Which is still a reused catchphrase...

But it's an awesome catchphrase so I let it pass ;P I still get chills when I see that on Thunderstrike's Mace. Man I miss Eric...
    His son Kevin has that weapon now, right? Asgardians of the Galaxy features him.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Silhouette would be great to see in Ironheart as well, come to think of it, and given her and Dwayne's history . . . if Dwayne ever did try to restart the New Warriors, I figure she'd be one of the first people he contacted. Maybe even just to let her know he's alive (again).
    Maybe. Keep in mind that he didn't show up when Rage was on trial, imprisoned, and hospitalized.

Yeah, I think Thrash is Faking The Dead.

Yeah, I think Thrash is Faking The Dead.
    Carol, Tony, and the Mighty Avengers know he's back, at least.

His son Kevin has that weapon now, right? Asgardians of the Galaxy features him.
    I think that's true, but haven't read anything with Kevin having the mace. HATE his costume and Eric was such a great character... I don't think Kevin has really caught on yet, outside of MC2 that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Carol, Tony, and the Mighty Avengers know he's back, at least.
    Mighty Avengers? There's been no book called that since Secret Wars, and he returned in Contest of Champions, which is after that. You must be mistaken.

Mighty Avengers? There's been no book called that since Secret Wars, and he returned in Contest of Champions, which is after that. You must be mistaken.
    i was searching for the name and settled on Mighty Avengers because of Monica Rambeau. i'm talking about the Ultimates. it's whoever rescued Dwayne from the contest of champions.