Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm actually a bit mad that they did that stuff with Bandit. he didn't show any of that aptitude when he was focused entirely on making Dwayne's life miserable. the latter would have benefited from that development.
    It always felt like Grevioux wanted to write Dwayne but wasn't able to since Dwayne was dead--so he revamped and retconned Bandit into being Dwayne-2.0. None of what he wrote with Bandit rang true to what had previously been established about the character. There were references to a shared history that never actually happened, a brotherly love and affection that never actually existed, etc.

The most offensive part was having Bandit berate Silhouette for having "betrayed" Dwayne...never mind the fact that Dwayne and Sil were already broken up before Sil even met Bandit, so she certainly was not cheating on him, and Bandit was the one who pursued her specifically to hurt Dwayne. So, really, which one of them is the "betrayer" there?

If Grevioux had actually been able to use Dwayne, that series may have worked a lot better than it did. But his attempts to force Bandit into becoming Dwayne-lite just made a mess of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    It always felt like Grevioux wanted to write Dwayne but wasn't able to since Dwayne was dead--so he revamped and retconned Bandit into being Dwayne-2.0. None of what he wrote with Bandit rang true to what had previously been established about the character. There were references to a shared history that never actually happened, a brotherly love and affection that never actually existed, etc.

The most offensive part was having Bandit berate Silhouette for having "betrayed" Dwayne...never mind the fact that Dwayne and Sil were already broken up before Sil even met Bandit, so she certainly was not cheating on him, and Bandit was the one who pursued her specifically to hurt Dwayne. So, really, which one of them is the "betrayer" there?

If Grevioux had actually been able to use Dwayne, that series may have worked a lot better than it did. But his attempts to force Bandit into becoming Dwayne-lite just made a mess of it.
    that would be my feelings on it. but what's done is done. i don't think Donyell needed to exist, personally. if it's just to make Dwayne's father look bad there were plenty of other ways to do it. and Dwayne already had a surrogate little brother in Elvin. his creation certainly didn't help Silhouette. oh well. it's the 90s. it's not like any of Dwayne's rogues gallery were any better (Tantrum? Aardwolf? some-Silhouette-lookalike? yeesh).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post

Kevin G never had the right tools to do a good New Warriors series and Bandit was a part of that problem, IMO

Grevioux was a decent writer. just a few tweaks (well, a little bigger than tweaks) and i would have been onboard. i could have been down for a series involving Dwayne taking a bunch of depowered mutants and teaching them to survive and not always rely on their powers; while striking out at the registration movement that scapegoated his old team. the perfect setup could have been Bandit being the 'Night Thrasher' who was mortally injured in Nitro's blast. maybe Dwayne, in an effort to make up for the past, had let Donyell play the part in the reality tv series. the guilt of not being there to reign Speedball in would lead to Dwayne taking responsibility for those depowered mutants (and, besides Jubilee, i'd probably go with brand new characters). it'd be a dick move on Thrash's part to go underground while Robbie takes the brunt of the anti-New Warriors hate. but that's kind of Thrash's personality. he'd probably be a bit angry that Speedball got his brother killed (even though he didn't).

Extraordinary Member

Has that New Warriors TV show aired?

I hope not. I think Dwayne is movie material.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Has that New Warriors TV show aired?

I hope not. I think Dwayne is movie material.
    In November 2017, the series was no longer set to air on Freeform. The pilot for the series was said to have "tested through the roof", with high-level executives at Disney taking interest in the project. Marvel wanted the series to air in 2018, but Freeform found that it did not have room in its schedule for the series, and agreed to give the project back to Marvel; the studio would shop the series to new partners who could release the series in 2018, potentially only looking at companies that are Disney-owned, and hoping to secure a two-season pick-up from the new network.[6] In June 2018, Loeb said Marvel was still looking for a network to air the series.

Ultimate Member

Grevioux was a decent writer. just a few tweaks (well, a little bigger than tweaks) and i would have been onboard. i could have been down for a series involving Dwayne taking a bunch of depowered mutants and teaching them to survive and not always rely on their powers; while striking out at the registration movement that scapegoated his old team. the perfect setup could have been Bandit being the 'Night Thrasher' who was mortally injured in Nitro's blast. maybe Dwayne, in an effort to make up for the past, had let Donyell play the part in the reality tv series. the guilt of not being there to reign Speedball in would lead to Dwayne taking responsibility for those depowered mutants (and, besides Jubilee, i'd probably go with brand new characters). it'd be a dick move on Thrash's part to go underground while Robbie takes the brunt of the anti-New Warriors hate. but that's kind of Thrash's personality. he'd probably be a bit angry that Speedball got his brother killed (even though he didn't).
    I disagree. I think Kevin G was an excellent writer, he just had poor tools for the job.

I'll never understand why they insisted that Dwayne be dead, when they could have replaced him with Bandit to explain the (one of many) plotholes.

Extraordinary Member

In November 2017, the series was no longer set to air on Freeform. The pilot for the series was said to have "tested through the roof", with high-level executives at Disney taking interest in the project. Marvel wanted the series to air in 2018, but Freeform found that it did not have room in its schedule for the series, and agreed to give the project back to Marvel; the studio would shop the series to new partners who could release the series in 2018, potentially only looking at companies that are Disney-owned, and hoping to secure a two-season pick-up from the new network.[6] In June 2018, Loeb said Marvel was still looking for a network to air the series.
    Thanks for the update.

I assume that's from Wikipedia, as [6] seems to be a citation link.

Anyway, at this point looks like if it's not re-announced for Disney+, it's dead in the water.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thrash appeared in Marvel Comics #1000. He's working with Jimmy Woo and Blue Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thrash appeared in Marvel Comics #1000. He's working with Jimmy Woo and Blue Marvel.
    thank you. i'll keep an eye out.

Ultimate Member

I assume that's from Wikipedia, as [6] seems to be a citation link.

Anyway, at this point looks like if it's not re-announced for Disney+, it's dead in the water.
    Lets hope. I whenever I watch Supermansion, I see Black Saturn and cringe, thinking 'That's what they want to do to Thrasher'

Lol, ugh! The fact that he was paired up with another good black hero that is criminally underutilized may in itself not be the best possible situation for Dwayne or Blue Marvel.

makes sense to me. one is black 'superman.' the other is black 'batman' (at least origin-wise).

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Regardless, the overarching narrative with those two (and Jimmy Woo) is a good one; they're trying to solve a mystery and unravel a conspiracy that goes all the way back to the creation of the original Human Torch, which is the most I can say without spoiling the whole thing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.