Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Marvelous X-Men #1 (spoilers/discussion)

Just like in Age of X-Man Alpha, Thompson and Nadler are doing a hell of a balancing act here. They pulled off a really good mix of selfless, almost Golden Age superheroing combined with the small world-building touches that just give a sense of wrongness to the whole set-up. Plus the reveal of Nate's explicit selfishness in deciding on the framework of this "utopia" is really rather upsetting, especially given what he does to Laura, a character who's already been used so callously by others.

And then there's Apocalypse and his crew. They're an unseen faction in this issue, and it's interesting, seeing how creepy and intrusive they appear to the X-Men vs what bits and pieces we know as readers.

Again, strong issue, but the real fun is in waiting to see how things are going to unravel.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-06-2019 at 07:28 AM.

BANNED

Been following Failla since X-Men: Black and his art really delivers it here. Extra props for actually drawing an age-appropriate Jean instead of the younger way she looked under Rosanas' pencils.

This was a good issue. The whole saving the hatcheries thing felt like your average way to introduce a team, but I like how it gave context to Laura. Nate's really an insidious ******* in this, isn't he? And Apocalypse really feels just the same. In a fight between these two, I'm rooting for the fight itself.

I hope Thompson and Nadler can keep the quality level in the next issues.

This was pretty good. Really felt for X23.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    The whole saving the hatcheries thing felt like your average way to introduce a team, but I like how it gave context to Laura.
    That whole sequence at the creche was very well done, agreed. I adore the layers this writing team are putting into the narrative, and it just makes me want to yell in frustration when they start breaking out the mind wipes. In a good way, mind you! XD

Nate's really an insidious ******* in this, isn't he? And Apocalypse really feels just the same. In a fight between these two, I'm rooting for the fight itself.
    Hear hear, amen, verily, +1 and "like".

Also, I think I might be starting to get just why Nature Girl was chosen for this book (aside from being our youthful exposition-prompt character, I mean), and if this pans out the way I think it will, it's going to be a really clever use of the character.

More excited about this than Uncanny tbh. Can’t wait for this afternoon.

I found this pleasantly good. I'm still waiting for it to fall apart but the start is shaping up to be decent quality. The art was great, the whole stepford wives esque atmosphere is great. I'm not the biggest X-23 fan but I'm not sure she was written in character as such.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    This was a good issue. The whole saving the hatcheries thing felt like your average way to introduce a team, but I like how it gave context to Laura. Nate's really an insidious ******* in this, isn't he? And Apocalypse really feels just the same. In a fight between these two, I'm rooting for the fight itself.
    I like the thought of Apocalypse knowing whats going on and he's literally only doing this to piss X-Man off.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

It was a really good issue. The characters were written really well. Can't we get the writers to take charge of Uncanny X-men instead of Rosenberg?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    It was a really good issue. The characters were written really well. Can't we get the writers to take charge of Uncanny X-men instead of Rosenberg?
    I suspect the writers here have a lot more freedom wrt what they can put on the page than they would if they were on a flagship book.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I suspect the writers here have a lot more freedom wrt what they can put on the page than they would if they were on a flagship book.
    More that like characters, some writers are just pets who can do whatever. Look at the crap we got from Gold and Weapon X. Meanwhile Bunn on Blue was bogged down by editorial.

I suspect Rosenbenturd for another Guggenheim or Pak.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 02-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Also, I think I might be starting to get just why Nature Girl was chosen for this book (aside from being our youthful exposition-prompt character, I mean), and if this pans out the way I think it will, it's going to be a really clever use of the character.
    Exactly. I agree.

I'm enjoying this a lot, so far. I also really like Laura's new look.

Also, I may just wanna see Nate get mauled by a bear. Sorry, not sorry... <.<
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-06-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

The death of wolverine, cyclops, hope, and cable
    51460959_10156947885049451_2871172335862284288_n.jpg
    Via bleeding cool. The white bag varents have the past of age of xmen

Also, I may just wanna see Nate get mauled by a bear. Sorry, not sorry... <.<
    Well, Nature Girl brought the bear xd. I have to say that I really liked her portray here, the writers clearly like the character and had done a good work with her.

Hope they have a future x-men book after age of x-man because this issue is way more superior than this week's Uncanny X-men.

Astonishing Member darewithpeace's Avatar

i loved nature girl in this issue! she deserves a apreciation thread
    we can be heroes, just for one day

Despite hating alt realties, this was better than Uncanny but still meh.