Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tHexTheX View Post
    Bunn is good. He was just very, very restricted.
    Oh, agreed. That's why I mentioned that working on an AU is a different creature than getting the flagship book. We've heard from so many creators over the years about how the stories they wanted to tell had to take a backseat to the imposed plotlines, casts, etc. that at this point I'm almost wary of getting a crew I like on a main title. Give 'em a nice satellite book where they can just do their thing with minimal interruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I thought this was rather boing, and it left me not particularly invested in any of these warped versions of these characters. Apocalypse preaching love was the biggest hook here imo.
    Agreed. The only interesting thing aside from Apocalype was Laura's memories partially cracking the lie and even that was short-lived.

BANNED

BleedingCool.com, Why Did Nathan Grey Create His Age Of X-Man Like This Then? Marvelous X-Men #1 (Spoilers)
    ... the hatcheries

... Why would Nat Grey create a world without romance, without sexuality, without… oh…

... Write what you know, I guess.

Extraordinary Member

It's rather sad that Nate is trying to make himself less "weird" by making the rest of the world sort of like him.

I mean, even Laura wasn't actually born from a test tube. The only character I can think of who was was Evan and that wasn't actually something he or anyone else brought up that much.

We're there any other X-Men born from a test-tube?

Didn't enjoy it as much as Alpha but I like what its setting up.

BANNED

PopCultHQ.com, [Comic Book Review] Marvel Comics’ AGE OF X-MAN: THE MARVELOUS X-MEN #1
    ... PopCultHQ’s overall assessment

A consistent second entry into this multi-part event that doesn’t sacrifice story for spectacle and still delivers both. With each read of Age of X-Man, I’m eager for the new entry and to explore other corners of this universe.

This book rewards your knowledge of the X-men and invites those unfamiliar to enjoy just as much. Everything here from the art, to the story, to the theme, sharpens as things progress. There are genuine “look out” moments as the creative team makes the most of an idea that was solid at first and is fast becoming inspired.

PopCultHQ’s Rating:
    4 out of 5 Stars
    RoguesPortal.com, Age of X-Man: Marvelous X-Men #1 Review
    ... Verdict: Buy!

Thompson and Nadler create a story in AoX: Marvelous X-Men #1 that is compelling and unnerving at the same point. The personal sacrifice that some of the characters are not even aware they have made begins to become obvious. One of the strengths that has always made the X-Men different is that they are literally and figuratively family. Here we get the chance to see what the team would be like if not only were they not like a family, but it is strictly forbidden. It is a question that seems like is may shape the series. The art is beautiful and draws the reader in by helping to keep the mood of the story moving forward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    It's rather sad that Nate is trying to make himself less "weird" by making the rest of the world sort of like him.

I mean, even Laura wasn't actually born from a test tube. The only character I can think of who was was Evan and that wasn't actually something he or anyone else brought up that much.

We're there any other X-Men born from a test-tube?
    Not that I can recall readily, if so. However, self-imposed isolation seems to be the running theme, and the point of the parable being told. Believe PRISONER X writer Vita Ayala pretty much confirmed this, in her recent interview with Newsarama.com... Exposes the Dark Side of AGE OF X-MAN's Mutant Utopia:
    ... Nrama: How does the idea of a mutant prison square with the idea of a mutant utopia?

Ayala: Zac and Lonnie wanted to explore the idea of just how flawed our traditional Western notion of a “perfect world” would be in this event. One of the things that appealed to me about the project as a whole is that they very much seemed to want to hack away at the way that we (as Westerners and as North Americans especially) think of utopias, by showing across the board that they are incredibly exclusive, restrictive, and incomparable with the real happiness of people.

There is no place for most people in a utopia
    , so, what happens when everyone is forced into that world?...

I thought this was a fun book. A very nicely-done follow-up to Age of X-Man Alpha. It built on what the world that X-Man created. It had some nice moments that showed how this world works and how the X-Men function within it. Plus, I thought that exchange between X-23 and Nate was very nicely done. Having both been products of genetic tampering, they have more in common than they know. I hope that connection grows in future issues. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Apocalypse affects things.

Overall, I like how this dystopian utopia is unfolding. I think it has the potential to become something special.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm guessing En Sabah Nur and Kitty being the Xtracts has something to do with Nate wanting them to be his counsel back on 616.

I hope that's the pairing that comes back to 616.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Just a few notes after a reread this morning:

• The art style was vibrant, consistent and dynamic, and I love the way in which the individuality and personalities of the characters becomes clear through their activities and their homes.
    • I'm assuming Monet is indeed locked up in the Danger Room alongside Beast and the other cast members of Prisoner X because, as Tycon pointed out, her position in the X-Teams portrait has been replaced by X-Man, just as Beasts statue and portrait was replaced.
    • The Pod Hatchery has to be influenced by X-Man's origin, and I do wonder how much of himself he inserted into this new reality when he employed the Life Seed to craft the Age of X-Man.
    • Laura's memories of Gabby coming back to her got me in the feels. Has X-Man been mind-wiping others that begin to remember? Are some more prone to remember than others?
    • The loudspeakers in the building were very eerie, and somewhat subtle reminders that this isn't the Utopia that the residents believe it is. "being alone is harmony" "you are gifted" "you are in control"
    • If Fungus the Bear doesn't survive the Age of X-Man I'm rioting. At this point I'm more invested in Fungus than I am Unveil and Moneta and that likely won't change.
    • Lin asking Jean about procreation and romance is priceless. I must admit, Nature Girl is growing on me like a weed; I'm rather fond of her and I hope this characterization remains.
    • Jean receiving the psychic signal is interesting, and I wonder how/why she's able to learn the names En Sabah Nur (cleverly not dubbed Apocalypse in this reality), Genesis and Kitty Pryde but not Dazzler, Eye-Boy and Unveil.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the issue, and everything indicates I'm going to be more excited in this line of X-Titles more than Uncanny until things get back to normal. I'm really looking forward to seeing what NextGen, Prisoner X and X-Tremists add to this cleverly crafted world. At this point I'm actually hoping that these writers stick around post-AoXM because this is some great stuff!

This issue was a breath of fresh air! I am so enthusiastically excited to spend more time in this world and I might be sad when it inevitably falls apart. I love seeing X-men lounging but this is so weird because this is lounging without the family and friendship bonds that lounging makes. It's giving me what I want, but distorted in a really smart way. I can't say enough great things about Alpha + Marvelous #1.

Wait a tic...those loud speakers...DAVID!?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by King_Thor13 View Post
    Just a few notes after a reread this morning:

• The art style was vibrant, consistent and dynamic, and I love the way in which the individuality and personalities of the characters becomes clear through their activities and their homes.
    • I'm assuming Monet is indeed locked up in the Danger Room alongside Beast and the other cast members of Prisoner X because, as Tycon pointed out, her position in the X-Teams portrait has been replaced by X-Man, just as Beasts statue and portrait was replaced.
    • The Pod Hatchery has to be influenced by X-Man's origin, and I do wonder how much of himself he inserted into this new reality when he employed the Life Seed to craft the Age of X-Man.
    • Laura's memories of Gabby coming back to her got me in the feels. Has X-Man been mind-wiping others that begin to remember? Are some more prone to remember than others?
    • The loudspeakers in the building were very eerie, and somewhat subtle reminders that this isn't the Utopia that the residents believe it is. "being alone is harmony" "you are gifted" "you are in control"
    • If Fungus the Bear doesn't survive the Age of X-Man I'm rioting. At this point I'm more invested in Fungus than I am Unveil and Moneta and that likely won't change.
    • Lin asking Jean about procreation and romance is priceless. I must admit, Nature Girl is growing on me like a weed; I'm rather fond of her and I hope this characterization remains.
    • Jean receiving the psychic signal is interesting, and I wonder how/why she's able to learn the names En Sabah Nur (cleverly not dubbed Apocalypse in this reality), Genesis and Kitty Pryde but not Dazzler, Eye-Boy and Unveil.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the issue, and everything indicates I'm going to be more excited in this line of X-Titles more than Uncanny until things get back to normal. I'm really looking forward to seeing what NextGen, Prisoner X and X-Tremists add to this cleverly crafted world. At this point I'm actually hoping that these writers stick around post-AoXM because this is some great stuff!
    Laura is probably remembering things because she has a healing factor and it's her brain sort of repairing itself. Plus Laura being around all those pod babies was triggering. She sort of is Gabby's mom...sort of...I mean, you know how big sisters are.

Good catch about Monet and Beast! Makes you wonder how many X-Men Nate has already cycled through?

Fungus the bear is beautiful and must be protected at all cost.

You know, when you think about Apocalypse's real name, En Sabah Nur basically just means "good morning." For such a scary guy, it's a very pretty name. I mean, Nur is even a girl's name. So him using his real name is sort of funny since it already sounds like something a hippie would call themselves.

My guess is that Kitty, Apocalypse and Evan are the faces of the organization while Eye Boy, Unveil, and Dazzler are behind the scenes. It's not a bad way to do things when you consider that Kitty's powers let her escape from pretty much anything and Apocalypse and Evan probably have some level of immunity against Nate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Laura is probably remembering things because she has a healing factor and it's her brain sort of repairing itself. Plus Laura being around all those pod babies was triggering. She sort of is Gabby's mom...sort of...I mean, you know how big sisters are.
    There's nothing to repair as her mind isnt damaged. By this logic, Wolverine would have never had the amnesia he had for decades of healing factor could fix memory loss

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There's nothing to repair as her mind isnt damaged. By this logic, Wolverine would have never had the amnesia he had for decades of healing factor could fix memory loss
    Remembers House of M...
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.