Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I feel like I should point out that even aside from bullet timing, I wasn't super impressed with Taskmaster's feats the last time I did a deep dive on them. Like, he's fought various A listers or stolen their moves but I don't recall him ever actually beating one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Otherwise the guy that faces down the Avengers as his big introduction getting scared by a street leveller is just ridiculous
    Moon Knight is an Avenger. Or was. Just like a street-leveler known as Batman is in the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Moon Knight is an Avenger. Or was. Just like a street-leveler known as Batman is in the Justice League.
    The point being Tony wasn't scared of the whole Avengers line up, street levellers included why should he be scared to defeat by Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I feel like I should point out that even aside from bullet timing, I wasn't super impressed with Taskmaster's feats the last time I did a deep dive on them. Like, he's fought various A listers or stolen their moves but I don't recall him ever actually beating one of them.
    He's beaten Elektra, and stalemate Daredevil to the point he needed to use the environment+ radar sense to "beat" him. Multiple times against Cap he held the advantage and lost due to PIS

It feels more like him being a villain is why he ends up losing as the plot demands so rather than him not being that good

A good example being the ongoing Captain America 4-5 where he does a Gladiator while Cap Gokus up to defeat him because of "what's at stake" after pretty much being beaten

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

He's beaten Elektra, and stalemate Daredevil to the point he needed to use the environment+ radar sense to "beat" him. Multiple times against Cap he held the advantage and lost due to PIS

It feels more like him being a villain is why he ends up losing as the plot demands so rather than him not being that good

A good example being the ongoing Captain America 4-5 where he does a Gladiator while Cap Gokus up to defeat him because of "what's at stake" after pretty much being beaten
    That Elektra win had a pretty bug asterisk. As I recall she was going through some trauma at the time and was off her game. She rematched him later and whooped that ass.

Fair point on the villain stuff though.

Gladiator cannot be blamed for that as a fellow that was in the mood, he didn't just stand there, he got to it, he struck a pose, there's nothing to it, vogue.

Obviously he started such an exciting fashion/culture trend that Taskmaster then did an homage.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    That Elektra win had a pretty bug asterisk. As I recall she was going through some trauma at the time and was off her game. She rematched him later and whooped that ass.

Fair point on the villain stuff though.
    Fair enough, I hadn't researched that just saw it online but the Daredevil and Cap stuff is legit, even without going to performances against Spiderman. It mostly comes off as him being at least peak human and losing mainly cuz he's a bad guy

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Gladiator cannot be blamed for that as a fellow that was in the mood, he didn't just stand there, he got to it, he struck a pose, there's nothing to it, vogue.

Obviously he started such an exciting fashion/culture trend that Taskmaster then did an homage.

* "Real American" starts playing from next page

Look. Vogue is clearly a timeless song and Taskmaster wanted to try his "splay my arms and make my eyes flashy and otherwise do nothing" move ;p

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Nice scans, Dork. Of course, by 'nice', I mean 'good catch'. That's some manga-level BS, right there. O_o

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Homage is kind of his thing, after all.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

The point being Tony wasn't scared of the whole Avengers line up, street levellers included why should he be scared to defeat by Moon Knight
    Why should some people be scared of harmless house spiders? Why should some people be scared of buttons?

Fear isn't always rational.

Nothing to do with "the plot demands." Cap won because his will and spirit were stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    Why should some people be scared of harmless house spiders? Why should some people be scared of buttons?

Fear isn't always rational.
    I'm sorry, but this explanation doesn't work for me.

Such irrational fears don't occupy the same space as 'I've actually faced far more terrifying threats than you, but you scare me.' Moonknight isn't something outside of Tasky's normal worldview, he's not even something especially terrifying IN that worldview, but he's certainly not 'something really alien that seems to give most people the creeps' (I'm not talking buttons, here).

Also, I strongly doubt that Tasky has developed a phobia of Moonknight, himself.

Further, one might say that if it's a completely irrational fear of Moonknight, then great, it's an irrational fear without any basis in fact. Much like a fear of buttons, to take your example (which would be a disturbingly real fear to someone with koumpounophobia, but they would be the first to admit said fear is not founded in any actual hint of danger or threat from the buttons). So said fear would have nothing to do with Moonknight just keeping coming at him (seeing as other, far more powerful people might do the same, and it hasn't yet driven Taskmaster into a nervous breakdown).

So, either it's a rational fear -- Moonknight actually scares him because of what Moonknight is doing, which doesn't make sense given the kinds of vastly superior, much more dangerous people Tasky has faced without getting all panicky -- or it's an irrational one -- Moonknight scares him...because of who-the-heck-knows, but nothing really rational to do with what Moonknight is accomplishing.

Either way, it doesn't really track too well.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-11-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Much like a fear of buttons, to take your example (which would be a disturbingly real fear to someone with koumpounophobia, but they would be the first to admit said fear is not founded in any actual hint of danger or threat from the buttons).
    I feel compelled to mention the completely irrelevant fact that Taskmaster has worked as a button man for the mob.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    I feel compelled to mention the completely irrelevant fact that Taskmaster has worked as a button man for the mob.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Good one.

As long as we don't put pictures of buttons up, I figure it's fine. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I'm sorry, but this explanation doesn't work for me.

Such irrational fears don't occupy the same space as 'I've actually faced far more terrifying threats than you, but you scare me.' Moonknight isn't something outside of Tasky's normal worldview, he's not even something especially terrifying IN that worldview, but he's certainly not 'something really alien that seems to give most people the creeps' (I'm not talking buttons, here).

Also, I strongly doubt that Tasky has developed a phobia of Moonknight, himself.

Further, one might say that if it's a completely irrational fear of Moonknight, then great, it's an irrational fear without any basis in fact. Much like a fear of buttons, to take your example (which would be a disturbingly real fear to someone with koumpounophobia, but they would be the first to admit said fear is not founded in any actual hint of danger or threat from the buttons). So said fear would have nothing to do with Moonknight just keeping coming at him (seeing as other, far more powerful people might do the same, and it hasn't yet driven Taskmaster into a nervous breakdown).

So, either it's a rational fear -- Moonknight actually scares him because of what Moonknight is doing, which doesn't make sense given the kinds of vastly superior, much more dangerous people Tasky has faced without getting all panicky -- or it's an irrational one -- Moonknight scares him...because of who-the-heck-knows, but nothing really rational to do with what Moonknight is accomplishing.

Either way, it doesn't really track too well.
    John Ostrander played with irrational fear to comedic effect in his Heroes for Hire run. Shortly after Luke Cage adopted the hero name of Power Man, an Avengers villain who was already using that name showed up to contest the name. That Power Man was a cheap knock-off version of Wonder Man at the time, probably closer to Spider-man in strength level, so it was a stretch that Luke beat him til he was out cold. Many years later, that villain reformed and became a hero known as Atlas. Now he was more like a giant version of Wonder Man and significantly more powerful than Luke. But he was very nervous and deferential to Luke because he irrationally clung to the memory of that past beating.