Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Seriously, if he ACTUALLY said that... What the actual **** is the MATTER with him?
    I linked what he actually said a couple posts above. It's not that word for word, but it's pretty much what it seemed to me.

BANNED

I dont want to read this book until they make Cyclops confront Jean and her reacting to all the crap he did trying to be a wannabe Magneto. Wolverine and Cyclops are the last type of characters I needed putting another team together.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    You can read his bullshit thread here: https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/stat...75944016248832

I find it hilarious that, when the biggest criticism people had against him were "Your story is boring", "It didn't make sense", "The X-Men are being jobbed" and **** like that, he was always being brave and replying to everything. Now that people have real deep reasons to be mad, disturbed and offended, he goes all "Twitter hiatus", "i WoN't Be EnGaGiNg".
    His hiatus has been going on for at least a few weeks now.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post

The story however is terrible. As Cyclops said "Every X-Men story is the same" and sadly that's been true since at least Decimation.

I enjoyed the previous issue where Cyclops had his realization that maybe he was too polarizing and maybbe he was too quick to resort to violence to solve the mutant problem and he was going to try to do better. Then by the end of this issue him and Wolverine are standing in a literal pile of corpses.

The writers of the X-Men have had the same problem over and over again for nearly two decades now. They want to write mutants as an endangered species, which means they need to swiftly inflate mutant numbers just so they can drastically reduce them in a violent fashion. Then the X-Men are 'forced' to respond to the near extinction of their kind by doing 'whatever it takes' to keep them safe aka "standing their ground".

But they seem to be missing the point of the X-Men. They are a superhero team, they're supposed to be better than the people they fight against. Using the new comic as an example Cyclops and Wolverine did NOT need to kill all of those people. They are perfectly capable of incapacitating them. By not doing so not only is it going against Cyclops' revelation in tthe last comic, thus making that comic a waste of time, it is continuing the reduction of the X-Men from a superhero team to a team that's as bad as the people they fight. As a comic book the natural narrative SHOULD be that after Cyclops and Wolverine trounce them there should be some kind of inward reflection by those hate groups where they realize that the X-Men showing them mercy makes them question all of the hate docrine they've been given and maybe being a bigot is wrong. What we have instead is stories where the Purifiers, Reapers and other bigots have a moral ground to stand on when they can go find a pile of corpses left behind by Cyclops and say 'see this is why all mutants need to be destroyed look at what these guys did.' And the cycle of hate continues.

If they want to write comics like this then they should think about writing a Punisher, Suicide Squad or an X-Force book where force meeting force is the theme of those comics. An X-Men team of morally compromised people is not a superhero team book and it's not the kind of book that made the X-Men popular to begin with.
    I completely understand your point but with these circumstances, I have to disagree. Over the years, Cyclops had to deal with one extinction crisis after the other and regardless of the choice he was going to make, there were going to be consequences. He had to change the classic playbook to beat this. Scott adapted

I'm alright with Cyclops being more the 'grey' hero. The X-Men have plenty of leaders that lean towards the more righteous path. Storm, Kitty, Jean, etc.

I prefer Cyclops the most in this age because he's the guy will step up to make those hard choices. Each leader has their strengths. For the situations where the odds are completely against you and you need that "General' type. You pick Cyclops.

For me, he and Wolverine make a very effective duo with these circumstances. They'll get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Logan will probably rekill the already dead Daken in Return of Wolverine. I can't really blame Scott or Logan for being suicidal at this point, especially since even if they succeed here, it'll just be the same **** forever and ever.

And I don't hate what Aaron is doing in Avengers. It's refreshing. The guy just revels in the superhero genre and loves being attached to it.

It's interesting to have this book right beside the Age of X-Man because, well, most of the X-Men revel in it too. They love being auperheros, they just don't always get the chance to. That's what makes all of it a lie over there so heartbreaking.

I think Blindfold's powers normally show her a way out of danger. Here, they're showing her that the only way she doesn't get killed is if she kills herself first. While I think that's actually sort of interesting, it seems like a somewhat dangerous sentiment to compare to real life suicides.

And who knows what Emma is doing. She lives in a different world than everyone else. She doesn't have to worry about a vaccine. Besides, most mutants are not going to go to her for help.
    That could be cathartic for him, also Logan seems to not have all his memories back, so i wonder if my theory is right.

I don't hate what Aaron or Rosenberg are doing either (thought i had my problems with it), i was just kind of mocking then to make an example.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The peak of the Blindfold story is the audacity to call it the last Blindfold story.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by The Jeeper 2.0 View Post
    His hiatus has been going on for at least a few weeks now.
    This is the first issue he wrote that has been released since the hiatus started. I don't think that's a coincidence.

This is the first issue he wrote that has been released since the hiatus started. I don't think that's a coincidence.
    Yeah, if I wrote something that grossly insensitive, I would hide from social media too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I gather you don't understand what the words "to me" mean.
    I do. But do you know what "presumptuous" means?

For me, the problem with X-Men stories is that they have no hope. It's meant to be a metaphor for oppressed minorities and all the stories they have are about how hopeless all of this is and apocalyptic futures where things get worse. It's too depressing and a disservice to what the franchise should be representing.
    When you say that stories of oppression and apocalypse are not "what the franchise should be representing," you're making a statement that assumes that what you're looking for is preferable to what others are currently enjoying. If the X-Men were to change to suit you, wouldn't that be doing a disservice to readers who happen to like a darker story?

And the X-Men have become a bad metaphor imo. Last time I checked, the Civil Rights movement didn't face extinction every other week or time traveled dystopian future where things kept getting worse.
    Well, this is comics, right? So things have to be a bit more dramatic. So we have things in comics that aren't in our world - like time travel, for instance.

But if someone is, say, a black man in America today, they might well feel like the future is a very bleak place for them and that the society at large is constantly pitted against them - no matter how much progress is made.

Just this week, there was controversy over actor Liam Nesson's comments about fantasizing about violently attacking any random black man. Pretty chilling stuff to hear if you're a minority and it speaks to just how easy it is to be targeted for nothing more than your skin color.

If anyone is telling stories that can be read as metaphors for prejudice, there's naturally going to be an element of pessimism to them.

In America, we went from eight years of Obama to a President that is reluctant to call out hate groups and, in fact, seems to appeal to their sensibilities. Seems like avoiding a grim future is a fight that never really changes.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 02-06-2019 at 03:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

I know we're all focusing on the lame deaths and repetitive story, but another terrible thing that jumps out at me is the mindbogglingly terrible use of Jaime and Layla.

They've never met. He is not that child's father.
    And yet they're acting like a married couple. They're acting like the original Jaime (Layla's husband and father of her child) being dead is just a fun anecdote.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I do. But do you know what "presumptuous" means?

When you say that stories of oppression and apocalypse are not "what the franchise should be representing," you're making a statement that assumes that what you're looking for is preferable to what others are currently enjoying. If the X-Men were to change to suit you, wouldn't that be doing a disservice to readers who happen to like a darker story?

Well, this is comics, right? So things have to be a bit more dramatic. So we have things in comics that aren't in our world - like time travel, for instance.

But if someone is, say, a black man in America today, they might well feel like the future is a very bleak place for them and that the society at large is constantly pitted against them - no matter how much progress is made.

Just this week, there was controversy over actor Liam Nesson's comments about fantasizing about violently attacking any random black man. Pretty chilling stuff to hear if you're a minority and it speaks to just how easy it is to be targeted for nothing more than your skin color.

If anyone is telling stories that can be read as metaphors for prejudice, there's naturally going to be an element of pessimism to them.

In America, we went from eight years of Obama to a President that is reluctant to call out hate groups and, in fact, seems to appeal to their sensibilities. Seems like avoiding a grim future is a fight that never really changes.
    And it's my opinion. Every single fans opinion will not be same as another fan elsewhere, you are just as presumptuous as I or any other fan. So I don't know why you're coming to me talking about being presumptuous when I began with stating that it was my opinion.

Anyway. I bolded the most important part of your post. America progressed to the point where there was a black president. When have the X-Men progressed to even close to that point? The reason things like the Liam Neeson comment or Jussie Smollet attack are so shocking is that society progressed to the point where most believe that it shouldn't happen. In Western society today if you say something overtly racist most people would (at least outwardly) call you out. This is a far cry from the Marvel universe where there are mobs with pitchforks for every mutant child born. When things are so constantly bleak you become numb to things meant to shock you, there is no hope in the X-Men franchise at all. The books are losing me as a reader and their minority metaphor seems shallow and repetitive.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

You can read his bullshit thread here: https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/stat...75944016248832

I find it hilarious that, when the biggest criticism people had against him were "Your story is boring", "It didn't make sense", "The X-Men are being jobbed" and **** like that, he was always being brave and replying to everything. Now that people have real deep reasons to be mad, disturbed and offended, he goes all "Twitter hiatus", "i WoN't Be EnGaGiNg".
    Goodness, precogs/prophets/whatever offing themselves is a totally legit cliche in my book, but they actually meant for this to be a PSA? What the f...

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The peak of the Blindfold story is the audacity to call it the last Blindfold story.
    LMAO. Ooouuuch.

X-Office: "This is "your" last story, kid. Oh, and you get to hang out with MULTIPLE MAN of all people."

Ultimate Member

Not defending it but the Neeson comments were about something that happened 40 years ago and he didn't just wake up one day and decide to fight a random black guy, it was after his female friend was brutally raped...

As for the X-Men, expecting the team to be on their last legs when the AoX group come back and have no idea what's going on...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Blindfold gets Fridged, and Loa didn't even get THAT much. Thanks, Marvel!
    what.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Shoutouts to Blindfold for crossing Playboy shoot off her bucket list before the end. Get it girl.
    ...what?!

-Pav, who is gonna go cry into his Spurrier comics...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    what.

...what?!

-Pav, who is gonna go cry into his Spurrier comics...
    I feel your pain, good fellow poster.
    The spider is always on the hunt.