Default What's Up With Booster Gold? Batman #45

I was reading Batman #45 to 47 and Booster Gold is acting like he had some sort of mental condition. He is acting like he is 8 years old but in the worst way. Is the same way he's acting in (ugh!) Heroes in Crisis. So, does anyone have an explanation or hypothesis as to why Booster is acting almost like Deapool?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Star View Post
    I was reading Batman #45 to 47 and Booster Gold is acting like he had some sort of mental condition. He is acting like he is 8 years old but in the worst way. Is the same way he's acting in (ugh!) Heroes in Crisis. So, does anyone have an explanation or hypothesis as to why Booster is acting almost like Deapool?
    Tom King?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Tom King wanted to undue all the character growth Booster has had over the years so he could be a screwed up loser in the Heroes in Crisis event mini series. That is really all it boils down to. Tom King ignores everything about the character and his history so he fits in "his" narrative as a big time messed up loser.

What's even worse, is that Booster was just in a Superman Arc right before it, to try and keep Clark from breaking the timeline. He was more than competent, and even did a little time reversal to save Lois and Sam.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Words cannot express how disappointed I was when I read this arc.
    After his appearance in Superman, I was REALLY looking forward to it, but what I was given was a steaming pile of ****.
    This story is best forgotten. Pretend it never happened and move on.
    Whoever that character was, it wasn't Booster.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Oh yeah we still never got any context for that arc, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Oh yeah we still never got any context for that arc, huh?
    Nope.
    Completely out of left field.
    It was just an AWFUL story.

Astonishing Member

Whatever the point of the story wiil be, it would still have worked without regressing Booster's character.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Whatever the point of the story will be, it would still have worked without regressing Booster's character.
    I think so too. There was no reason for him to behave that way. Even more so considering the serious tone of the story. It was almost like watching Deapool in Booster's uniform but without the fourth wall breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Tom King wanted to undue all the character growth Booster has had over the years so he could be a screwed up loser in the Heroes in Crisis event mini series. That is really all it boils down to. Tom King ignores everything about the character and his history so he fits in "his" narrative as a big time messed up loser.
    It looks that way. Like he wanted to force Booster into that box just so his story could "develop". And considering DC has been trying to hammer down the idea that Heroes in Crisis is a great story maybe we will be seeing more of Booster 'Deadpool' Gold.

Incredible Member

Since Booster is a time traveler and can pop in and out of time at will the one in Action was a more mature, experienced Booster while the Booster in Batman/Heroes In Crisis was just starting out in his career.

Kind of like Smith-Dr. Who, Tennet-Dr. Who and Hurt-Dr. Who are all the same person but at different stages of his life.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Star View Post
    I think so too. There was no reason for him to behave that way. Even more so considering the serious tone of the story. It was almost like watching Deapool in Booster's uniform but without the fourth wall breaking.

It looks that way. Like he wanted to force Booster into that box just so his story could "develop". And considering DC has been trying to hammer down the idea that Heroes in Crisis is a great story maybe we will be seeing more of Booster 'Deadpool' Gold.
    I hope that's not the case.

Funny how even in HiC, Harley is propped up while the rest gets dumbed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Since Booster is a time traveler and can pop in and out of time at will the one in Action was a more mature, experienced Booster while the Booster in Batman/Heroes In Crisis was just starting out in his career.

Kind of like Smith-Dr. Who, Tennet-Dr. Who and Hurt-Dr. Who are all the same person but at different stages of his life.
    It could be but the level of idiocy he is showing doesn't go with starting-career-maturity but with brain damage.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Funny thing, it isnt remotely needed.

The whole point of Booster's growth was that he was 'the greatest hero you've never heard of' - everyone was meant to think he the screw up and idiot King wrote him like, but he was actually just letting them think that, while he had actually grown.

So King could have let it be, but he didn't.

I really like King, from Vision to Miracle, as well as his Batman run - but his decision to do this was wrong.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I really like King, from Vision to Miracle, as well as his Batman run - but his decision to do this was wrong.
    Not only wrong. It came across as him taking a steaming piss on the work everyone else had done with the character before he got his hands on him.
    On the upside, the variant covers for those issues were GREAT.