Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do the X-Men mean to you?

How do you see them? What role do you want them in the Marvel Universe? What does their treatment or mistreatment mean for you? How does the minority or outsider metaphor fit in for you?

They mean everything to me, they are my LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    How do you see them? What role do you want them in the Marvel Universe? What does their treatment or mistreatment mean for you? How does the minority or outsider metaphor fit in for you?
    Hmmm, I'll try to get back to you on that, so many thoughts, my brain 'ploded! I'm spent

I think there are two parts for me, the outcasts trying to gain acceptance and fighting against all the hate of the world that is stacked against them. I like the feeling of family in the X-Men, even when they disagree or hurt each other there is a sense that even the worst of them can eventually be welcomed back to the family (Erik and Emma).

One of the things I would love to see is for Marvel to truly explore an X-Comic that is specifically focussed on a family in the X-Men. I want to see a comic where Jean and Scott go on a journey/mission with Cable and Rachel. I want to see the Summers/Grey family do something together, and I think they could very well be the X-book alternative to the Fantastic Four in their own dysfunctional way.

Spectacular Member

These days the "mutant metaphor" is misguided at best and offensive at worst.

Real-life marginalized people are hated for irrational reasons, but mutants can and do accidentally/intentionally kill people constantly.
    There is a big dumb crossover happening right now about one rewriting all of reality. AGAIN

As for what they mean to me?
    Wasted potential

Edit: Ah, that's unkind. They spent over a decade being the best thing in cape comics, and there's been plenty of good runs in spinoffs since then.
    It's complicated I guess. My best and worst memories of comics are tied to the X-Men, and the "worst" part has been going on long enough to cloud the memory of the "best."
    Last edited by majormcmeat; 02-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

They're generally fun, action-oriented superhero comics. A great purchase at bookstores as a kid. They're still a decent way to kill an afternoon when I don't have anything better to do.

EDIT: I also feel that in today's world of what is currently being published, the X-Men are largely irrelevant. There aren't a lot of itches that can be scratched by the X-Men that cannot be addressed elsewhere. I love them to death, and will probably always peak in every now or so but they've been coasting on recognition for a long time.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 02-06-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Thicc white women.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fantastic Member

About 50 bucks a month.

Everything tries to ruin Scott Summer's day.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Diamond rings, shinin' thangs ooowww.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Kinda really bad analogy for real-life minorities. Heroes fighting a losing battle.

Neutral on the former, totally digging the later.

A group of non-conformers that the world doesn't really understand forming a chosen family. They often explore visions for a world different than the one they're stuck with.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

A really bad soap opera that for some reason i can't quit

White ppl crossdressing as real life social minorities.

Jk. Currently it's a franchise I acknowledge as flawed but that I will always hold dear to me.

Mostly hope.

The struggle of minorities for a place in the world and equality.

Even after years after the cartoons of the 90s when started the theme is still relevant and current with immigrants and fugitives from wars being treated as outcasts and unwanted, groups being hunted for their religion or sexual choice or dictators who put their wellbeing above the people.