Default Themyscira As A Democracy

I'm a fan of Phil Jiminez's run and I liked the status quo he set up of having the Amazons abolish the monarchy in favor of a democratic government. I hope somewhere down the line this returns.

Thoughts?

I think Diana being a princess and Themyscira being a matriarchy run by a Queen is too engrained to the mythos to ever do away with permanently, even if any kind of royalty to that degree is kind of outdated in the modern era, although Paradise Island is meant to be a female utopia so I think it can get a pass .

I'd go with a Victorian England kind of model: a constitutional monarchy where the Queen is technically a figurehead, but commands so much respect and influence she may as well be a proper monarch.

I love Phil's writing, but this was something I didn't agree with. There's no reason why this should change after thousands of years of successfully acheiving a peaceful culture under a monarch. Until recently (New52 +), the Amazons were shown to have great respect and love for their queen and, generally, for their Princess.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I'd go with a Victorian England kind of model: a constitutional monarchy where the Queen is technically a figurehead, but commands so much respect and influence she may as well be a proper monarch.
    actually the queen of England has much more power. She has the power to close and open parliament. The power to sign laws into law. The power declare war. Unlike most monarchies with a democray, UK’s actually is still with a lot of it’s power

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....land-actually/
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-15-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    actually the queen of England has much more power. She has the power to close and open parliament. The power to sign laws into law. The power declare war. Unlike most monarchies with a democray, UK’s actually is still with a lot of it’s power
    Fair enough. That probably fits better anyways.

So if we are going to have more of a Democracy what parties will there be? This means maybe on paradise island there should be in a sense more than just one tribe or one ideology to make this work

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I love Phil's writing, but this was something I didn't agree with. There's no reason why this should change after thousands of years of successfully acheiving a peaceful culture under a monarch. Until recently (New52 +), the Amazons were shown to have great respect and love for their queen and, generally, for their Princess.
    They'd had two civil wars during that time so they felt a change in government was needed. It also gave the Bana some needed influence in how they were governed.

I think the issue here is rather that too many writers have had too little imagination and schooling in government systems, or for that matter history. There are lots of graduations and variations of monarchies, and the role of "queen" can vary quite a bit. The idea of the sovereign monarch is rather modern in any case, and didn't take hold until the 17th century or so.

For myself, I view Themyscira as a constitutional monarchy, where Hippolyta carries lots of authority due to history, her own abilities, and the respect she has earned. She is probably for practial purposes an elected queen, not a hereditary one.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think the issue here is rather that too many writers have had too little imagination and schooling in government systems, or for that matter history. There are lots of graduations and variations of monarchies, and the role of "queen" can vary quite a bit. The idea of the sovereign monarch is rather modern in any case, and didn't take hold until the 17th century or so.

For myself, I view Themyscira as a constitutional monarchy, where Hippolyta carries lots of authority due to history, her own abilities, and the respect she has earned. She is probably for practial purposes an elected queen, not a hereditary one.
    Her advisors definitely seemed to have an integral role in the running of Themyscira in Rucka's Rebirth run, even if Hippolyta obviously had the final say in anything.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    As I recall the reason it changed was because of the introduction of the Bana into the islands society.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    As I recall the reason it changed was because of the introduction of the Bana into the islands society.
    That seems... odd to me. If anything, the Bana were even more about rulers with absolute authority than the Amazons ever were.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Themyscira should be ruled by the most powerful Amazon. Any woman can challenge the queen to fight and defeat them become next queen.

Themyscira being a democracy while a good thing cannot be good from comic standpoint while the monarchy allows for cool fights and more emotional movements since the loser may die or be killed.

Why not a mix. Her advisors are part elected by the Amazons and part picked by Hippoltya? These advisor had some type of roles in the Amazons society. It seems I read somewhere that Hippoltya is elected Queen in the movie.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-15-2019 at 10:54 PM.