Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Exactly.

There is a disconnect between Batman the Dark Knight and Batman the JLA Member. The reason is that if Bruce wheeled out his JLA arsenal in Gotham there would be no drama to speak of. No point planning a six issue story arc featuring the Mad Hatter if he captures Tetch in three minutes.
    And the other side of the coin is the writers have to bend logic over backwards to justify why, among these god-like beings, the entitled rich man dressed as a bat is not only relevant, but the most dangerous and terrifying of them all...and often at the expense of the rest of the cast.

There is a disconnect between the Batman the Dark Knight and Batman the JLA member. One is a compelling and engaging character. The other is an insufferable tool.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    And the other side of the coin is the writers have to bend logic over backwards to justify why, among these god-like beings, the entitled rich man dressed as a bat is not only relevant, but the most dangerous and terrifying of them all...and often at the expense of the rest of the cast.

There is a disconnect between the Batman the Dark Knight and Batman the JLA member. One is a compelling and engaging character. The other is an insufferable tool.
    Which is why I started another thread here asking whether or not WW (not to mention a lot of the other DC characters) would be better off inhabiting their own individual universes.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

Bringing it back to towards the OP, is the thing people dislike that Batman has plans, or that they always work?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Bringing it back to towards the OP, is the thing people dislike that Batman has plans, or that they always work?
    For me, it's a bit of both, but more the latter. It's also the incredibly secretive nature of it that makes no sense. It's like when he showed Superman that he had plans for everyone, but that Superman was his plan for Wonder Woman.

Why not do that for every hero, at least to some extent. Does he really think that (a) there's enough chance that every hero is going to go nuts at once and that (b) he and he alone can do it by himself?

And then...he does. It's the 'unfailing' Batman that bugs me. Every other hero is shown to have flaws and make mistakes and fail, but Batman is just too perfect. I preferred the imperfect man whose plans don't always work but who figures it out when they fail. It's always someone else who goes bad (usually Clark/Diana), he's always the hero who can take them down, and he's almost aways right.

I admit, I would love to see it work in reverse, where an evil Batman unleashes all of his anti-JLA plans and loses, preferably to Diana