Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default The Magicians = the best show on tv not enough people watch

Season 4 is even better than the last so far. I did not think that was possible. I feel like I'm in peak tv mode right now, it's just so good. I pity everyone saddled with a taste profile that prevents their brains from enjoying something as high quality as this.

It's like disliking the taste of prime cheesecake. Such afflictions are to be pitied.

Oh man, after this last episode, I came here hoping for some discussion! How is this show SO underrated!?!

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

imo it'd be better on a network with a higher budget. the scope feels really small
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Not to judge a book by its cover (pun intended? YOU DECIDE!), but the title is incredibly generic for a TV show, too, which also helps make it feel small scale. It works for a novel if it's meant to be both quirky and ominous, but not for a TV show in a sea of other shows.

Yes, yes, that's as far from the actual quality of the show as you can get, but a good title does wonders for getting an audience in the first place.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

When I first saw the promos for this, my first thought was, "great, it's Hogwarts 90210."

But then I found out it's based on a pretty well regarded fantasy book series, so maybe I should give it a look?

I watched the first season (or most of it?) and I thought it was okay, but not enough to keep at it considering how many other things there are to watch out there. If this show has gotten better, I might jump back in when there's nothing else around to binge.

I keep seeing it on Netflix but other things present themselves so i get sidetracked.

one day bro, one day.

Fantastic Member

I read this trilogy and liked it well enough. It was a mishmash of Harry Potter, Narnia, with a touch of Bret Easton Ellis. I watched the first season and a half or so of the series and stopped. The lead actor annoyed the hell out of me and I couldn't connect. It also deviated from the books and began looking like they were just going to drag it out and do their own thing. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I was hoping for a more faithful adaption.

I haven't watched it because I hated the first book so much. Of the thousands of books I've read or listened to in my life this is top 2 in terms of worst book that I've actually finished (the other being Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman). And I only finished it because I was doing it via audiobook and was in an area of Nevada where I couldn't get any non country music radio stations so I trudged on through the book even though it sucked so bad. I never read the sequels and never will. I've certainly started worse books but I've quit them whereas I actually did finish the Magicians. Maybe the TV show is better but with so many shows on TV that I want to watch and limited time its just never felt worth event trying given my feelings about the book.

All-New Member

I just could not like any of the characters.

Enough people are watching it. On HBO or as pure Netflix offering it might have blow up into a cultural phenom show like Game of Thrones,Westworld or Walking Dead but then you have deal when the show drops off a bit, A gazillion of bandwagons fans are now going "isn't the show over" "this show has been dead since season 2"" this show suck now I use to like but it is lame when is it going to end". The show has good ratings and that is all we should care about.

Does anybody know how much subject matter from the book they have covered and about how much longer is this show going to go on strictly from a book perspective. I know they deviated from the books but I guess they were using books as rough outline so I am curious on that part of equation.

I continue to watch it because the girls are so damn hot, but it doesn't hold my interest as much as I would like it to and I find myself getting lost a lot in the story.

Incredible Member

I enjoy and look forward to every episode. The music episodes are fun listening to the cast sing Bowie/Queen's Under Pressure or White Snake.

Part of the problem of it not getting more popular is the short season and how it disappears once the season is over with no mention until the start of next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Does anybody know how much subject matter from the book they have covered and about how much longer is this show going to go on strictly from a book perspective. I know they deviated from the books but I guess they were using books as rough outline so I am curious on that part of equation.
    I feel like most of the plot of the trilogy was covered in the first two seasons. Everything involving Fillory and Ember and Umber that the books did ended in season 2. However, we get something like Julia's transformation, which becomes an ongoing plot that the show is still working its way through. Margot's recent plot with the desert and the ice axes happened to her (aka Janet) in the third book, but what they're doing with Elliot is a completely new plot. Penny's story in the book pretty much ends when he starts working for the library, but the show has brought in a Penny from another timeline to do new stories with.

So it's mostly new stuff now, although I feel like there are bits and pieces left from the book (like what ultimately happens to Quentin) that they are saving to end the show with.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Enough people are watching it. On HBO or as pure Netflix offering it might have blow up into a cultural phenom show like Game of Thrones,Westworld or Walking Dead but then you have deal when the show drops off a bit, A gazillion of bandwagons fans are now going "isn't the show over" "this show has been dead since season 2"" this show suck now I use to like but it is lame when is it going to end". The show has good ratings and that is all we should care about.

They changed a lot, most of all the characters arcs. Characters that are assholes in the book are less so, or the other way. Every once in a while they use some scene from the books, but most of the time it doesn't carry any of the original weight because the character arcs are so different. Also, they decided that turning Alice, the only decent person on the books into the ******* of the tv show was a good idea.

It may seem like i hate the show, but I actually like it, just not close to how much I like the books.