Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,411

    Default Wonder Woman and Sci-Fi

    Ignoring any "amazon technology" debates, what's your opinion on Diana taking on science fiction plots and stories? Either as a regular thing or just once in a while?

  2. #2
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    3,878

    Default

    Well, Diana has had these types of stories in the Golden Age, going to other planets, etc. I don't see anything wrong with it and I think they can give some variety to current storylines.

    More recently, there was a combined story with Wonder Woman meets the Bionic Woman which was really cool to see Diana and Jaime side-by-side. That was a great read and combined so many great details from both series.

    Our Amazing Amazon can be a perfect complement and perfect foil to technology at the same time. I say, Yes, give us some new stories full of "Sci-Fi" and something different to look forward to reading!

  3. #3
    Mighty Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    It depends on the type of story.

    The space opera style of story doesn't really fit Diana, I think, that's much more for the Green Lanterns or Superman. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but one is working uphill, thematically speaking. One has to start with asking why, and how she is out there. (Yes, I know Marston sent her out in space. But a lot of the Golden and Silver Age styles of storytelling was throwing stuff at the wall and looking at what would stick.)

    But it's not the only type of science fiction story that can be told, and with the Themyscirans and the Bana-Mighdall the field is wide open for the anthropoligical tradition of science fiction, in the manner of Ursula K Le Guin, Lois Bujold, or NK Jemisin. Or if we look at comics, Christin and Mézières (Valerian and Laureline). Wonder Woman is much more about society than she is about gadgets.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It depends on the type of story.

    The space opera style of story doesn't really fit Diana, I think, that's much more for the Green Lanterns or Superman. That doesn't mean it can't be done, but one is working uphill, thematically speaking. One has to start with asking why, and how she is out there. (Yes, I know Marston sent her out in space. But a lot of the Golden and Silver Age styles of storytelling was throwing stuff at the wall and looking at what would stick.)

    But it's not the only type of science fiction story that can be told, and with the Themyscirans and the Bana-Mighdall the field is wide open for the anthropoligical tradition of science fiction, in the manner of Ursula K Le Guin, Lois Bujold, or NK Jemisin. Or if we look at comics, Christin and Mézières (Valerian and Laureline). Wonder Woman is much more about society than she is about gadgets.
    The purple healing ray, mental radio and magic sphere were part of that society, Wonder Woman has her own claim to sci-fi tradition that goes too often unacknowledged.

    WW MAGIC SPHERE.jpg

    WW MENTAL RADIO 3.jpg

    WW PURPLE RAY 12.jpg

  5. #5
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    There are also super villains like Dr. Cyber.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,773

    Default

    Evilness is also a alien. We also have the fact she was part of intergalactic gang.
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

    https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

  7. #7
    Mighty Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Evilness is also a alien. We also have the fact she was part of intergalactic gang.
    When was the last time she even showed up though?

  8. #8
    Mighty Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The purple healing ray, mental radio and magic sphere were part of that society, Wonder Woman has her own claim to sci-fi tradition that goes too often unacknowledged.
    That Wonder Woman is "much more about society than she is about gadgets" doesn't imply that Wonder Woman is exclusively about society.

  9. #9
    Spectacular Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That Wonder Woman is "much more about society than she is about gadgets" doesn't imply that Wonder Woman is exclusively about society.
    Technology and culture are an important aspect of society. Now the entire Amazons are just brain dead civilisation living on the mercy of Gods
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 02-08-2019 at 05:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member mathew101281's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    The kind of sci-fi I prefer in Wonderwoman is the super spy type. Steve Trevor is a government agent and even Diana herself isn’t above dealing in that space. Mythology is a natural fit for WW because she is a child of myth and her three most prominent antagonists are also myth based. (Ares, Circe and even Cheetah). That being said Diana also has a foot in the “government conspiracy” and spy genres to. She is an anti war character, and being anti war often puts you at odds with clandestine organizations and the tech they use.

    Space opera style sci-fi in WW tends to need more setup. I like when she crosses over with the new gods for example. It fits because they have common themes, themes that wouldn’t be their if Diana was interacting with some other random alien group.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 02-08-2019 at 08:47 AM.

  11. #11
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    505

    Default

    There were a few stories in the Bronze Age, iirc - it's been a long time since I read them - that kind of blended sci-fi & myth. One was #261, in which she had to procure an artifact from a meeting place of the heads of pantheons deep in space. I remember as a kid just loving the idea of her flying the jet deep into space.

    686233.jpg


    Another was the Empress of the Silver Snake storyline. It was just so weird and cool to see the Amazons in their standard fantasy metal bikinis carrying rayguns on the moon. That issue may also be the first time I had seen Wonder Woman wielding a sword, and considering how much I liked Conan back then, it was cool to see those worlds a little closer together.

    dc-comics-wonder-woman-vol-1-issue-253.jpg

    I don't think Diana should be pigeon-holed into any one realm; her adventures should take her everywhere, from kicking back with besties at the club to mythic nightmare realms to the corners of the galaxy. She *should* be interested in history, science, culture, mysteries, and other worlds, and she should bring all that knowledge and those skills to what she encounters. I'm not saying she should be expert in all those things, just that her interests and adventures should reflect them all.

  12. #12
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    When was the last time she even showed up though?
    That Steve Trevor one-shot from a few years back, I believe.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member AmiMizuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,773

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    When was the last time she even showed up though?
    Steven’s onehsot. I would love to see more of her.
    Please sign this so we can at least show DC we want Legend of Wonder Woman part 2.

    https://www.change.org/p/comic-fans-...part-2-back-on

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •