Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default "I LOVE DC, but have never been able to get into....."

You love DC comics, you've read them for years, you may even prefer DC over others. BUT, there's one aspect of DC that you've never quite been able to get into. Its never grabbed your interest, you've given it a fair shot and still didn't grab you.

What is it?

Is it a Iconic DC character or Team? DC series? DC aspect/element/theme?

We are all DC fans, but certainly we cannot be 100% fans of everything right?

Boisterously Confused

Aquaman. To me, he's always been a disappointing Sub-Mariner knock-off, even though publishing longevity and multi-media proliferation would suggest the opposite.

Superman and Wonder Woman.

Barring the New 52 years, I either don't care or absolutely loath most of their stories.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Red Hood. I love the Under the Red Hood animated movie but to read stories with the character ehh no thanks.

Waller, Deathstroke, Suicide Squad.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Harley Quinn. Though that's probably not too controversial. Aquaman & Green Lantern as well kinda. I keep trying to get into them but even the good runs I lose interest in pretty quick.

Grant Morrison. Outside of like All Star Superman and the first 8 or so issues of N52 Action his stuff is just too muddled and kinda pretentious for me. I get what he's trying to do and can appreciate some of the craft to it, but it's just not for me.

4th World for me. I like Darkseid as a super powerful baddie, but the other characters and weirdness of that world never appealed.

Legacy. The whole generations, passing on the torch, taking up the mantle crap. We've had what, five Robins? I love Batman, but all the kids are kind of, meh. I'm not even really a fan of Dick, which is like the DC Messiah to so many fans. Meh. I mean, I don't dislike Grayson, but meh.

I don't care for Green Lantern. His power comes off as really silly to me. But I'm open to change my mind if a movie makes me care for him.

I was never a big Aquaman fan but after his movie I think he and his mythos are really cool and epic.

Also, while I don't hate Batman, I feel his movies are really overrated. He's alright, but I don't really relate to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Legacy. The whole generations, passing on the torch, taking up the mantle crap. We've had what, five Robins? I love Batman, but all the kids are kind of, meh. I'm not even really a fan of Dick, which is like the DC Messiah to so many fans. Meh. I mean, I don't dislike Grayson, but meh.
    Oh hell yeah, can't believe I neglected to mention this. I like some sparse legacy from different gens, but even then, in the "spin-off" frame of mind, not replacement/heir.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

I like Wally and Dick Every other 'legacy' character I could do without.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Aquaman. I spent many years as a very serious Namor fan, so I decided to keep trying Arthur since his company treats him much better. But there's no hook if you'll pardon the pun. He just seems like a basic character with a bunch of investment into his toy chest. I would much prefer Mera to be the focus and him as the secondary character.

Nightwing. Can't help but see a half step when we have two active Robins, Red Hood, Batwoman, and Batman himself. I actually really like Dick as Robin so maybe that's why growing up doesn't work for me. Mark Waid essentially did Daredevil as Nightwing... but everything that made the writing so good was specific to Matt Murdock. Otherwise he's like Gambit without the cool powers or ambiguity. Grayson manipulated his story just so, and it really disappointed me that it reset

(I know this is "I love DC" and I keep mentioning Marvel, but if there was already a DC character that offered the same, then I wouldn't bother)

Oh yeah, and Batgirl. This is petty, but I blame Alicia Silverstone. You can't just "be a hero, too." I always liked Batman endlessly training and planning, and I don't like the idea of doing what he does based on less effort.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Kyle Rayner
    The entire Young Justice generation, though I think Kon can be ok (not overly passionate about him either, though)

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Oh hell yeah, can't believe I neglected to mention this. I like some sparse legacy from different gens, but even then, in the "spin-off" frame of mind, not replacement/heir.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxStirner_91 View Post
    I like Wally and Dick Every other 'legacy' character I could do without.
    Same. It can work wonderfully in some instances. Wally taking over as the Flash is the most mainstream example and it was great. I think it helps boost the JSA as a franchise to have all the generations (though they should be on Earth-2). And I have a soft spot for the Dick/Damian dynamic, but I wish the latter was the only other Robin besides Dick.

Beyond that though, it can be too much of a good thing. The idea of all the mantles being passed down JSA style even with the main heroes does not appeal to me at all. We like these characters for more than just the clothes they wear, it's not as if across the board anyone can take on the name and costume and have it be worth it. The identities and the characters, a lot of the time, are intrinsically tied together. Even if we had a universe that progressed with time and characters aged out to be replaced by a younger generation, I don't think I'd want a whole new Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc. Bruce Wayne should retire and nobody else should be Batman. Let them carry on his legacy with their own identities.

Suicide Squad. Have never been a fan of villains as the main character(s). I need a main character or two I can root for.

Azrael. Always found him to be more an enigma than a character I can sink my teeth into.

The New Gods. A little bit goes a long way for me. Writers seem to love these characters and seem to constantly work them into big story arcs...but I can't relate to them. Actually a turn off for me. Mr Miracle and Barda are the only two I really care for.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Same. It can work wonderfully in some instances. Wally taking over as the Flash is the most mainstream example and it was great. I think it helps boost the JSA as a franchise to have all the generations (though they should be on Earth-2). And I have a soft spot for the Dick/Damian dynamic, but I wish the latter was the only other Robin besides Dick.

Beyond that though, it can be too much of a good thing. The idea of all the mantles being passed down JSA style even with the main heroes does not appeal to me at all. We like these characters for more than just the clothes they wear, it's not as if across the board anyone can take on the name and costume and have it be worth it. The identities and the characters, a lot of the time, are intrinsically tied together. Even if we had a universe that progressed with time and characters aged out to be replaced by a younger generation, I don't think I'd want a whole new Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc. Bruce Wayne should retire and nobody else should be Batman. Let them carry on his legacy with their own identities.
    I agree, these characters are timeless. The symbol in their chests does not make who they are. Their actions do. These are our modern myths.

Also, I'm not a big fan of legacy characters like Supergirl. Especially when writers seems to want to make her bigger and better than the original. When they are written to be their own hero without disrespecting what came before, I'm more open to listen.