Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Batman #64 discussion

I enjoyed this issue, a nice change of pace from Kings stuff. March's pencils were inconsistent but till good. It takes place before Knightmares. Kind of hate they are breaking up the story and putting this right in the middle. They could have put this before Knightmares and it still would have lined up enough with Heroes in Crisis.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

I... I don't really dig the utterly insane Gotham Girl, to be frank.

This characters feels like such a waste, and now I'm feel that King couldn't even be bothered to off her. I can't see her surviving this crossover. She'll probably die from her powers, or sacrificing her life to bring back her zombie brother or something.

A shame, she could have been great.

I guess that what King wrote about her future was just her losing it entirely.

It was a very welcome change of pace... A fresh breath of air really. Makes me lament that we will have to go back to King's stuff and for 41 issues no less... So done with faux-Knightfall that is taking ages to write... Wish writers would realize they don't do themselves any favors when they take their sweet time in their "break a character down completely" stories.

I found it very touching that Bruce couldn't bring himself to do the autopsy and hesitated...

Dick and Wally flashback is of course a special highlight for me, and given Wally is dead and Dick is "kind of" dead was very touching too... Good old happy times, indeed...

I think Gotham Girl being insane explains why she is in with Bane, so wasn't surprised about that.

Williamson doesn't do it for me, so I picked this up against my better judgement. Yikes. It's really jarring going from poignant introspection to generic super heroics. Guess I'm out 'til #66.

Also, taking the extra step to put medical gloves on Batman, but keeping him in his suit during an autopsy is ridiculously dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I... I don't really dig the utterly insane Gotham Girl, to be frank.

This characters feels like such a waste, and now I'm feel that King couldn't even be bothered to off her. I can't see her surviving this crossover. She'll probably die from her powers, or sacrificing her life to bring back her zombie brother or something.

A shame, she could have been great.

I guess that what King wrote about her future was just her losing it entirely.
    I think its more likely that if Hank returns he will be a monster and not quite right and Gotham Girl will redeem herself and finally put him to rest. We know she survives because she is meant to marry Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I think its more likely that if Hank returns he will be a monster and not quite right and Gotham Girl will redeem herself and finally put him to rest. We know she survives because she is meant to marry Duke.
    At that point, I hope that this monologue was just her completely insane. Iz made a far better pairing for Duke in the three issues of Batman and the Signal that Claire has done in all of Batman : Rebirth

Incredible Member

It was still bad. Not as bad as King but still pretty bad. Williamson was stuck working with King's toys and trying to pick up threads that he's just never gotten around to and it just isn't good. He's stuck doing something with Gotham Girl because King just dropped her and seems to have forgotten she exists and then he has to tie it in with (HiC) which I doubt other writer wants to go near because it sucks so bad, and he's trying to make a somewhat coherent story but it's difficult to make anything that King has been involved in coherent. So, while better than what we've been getting, it's still no good.

kripalski

I liked it just fine, I may be in the minority on this but I LOVE King's run, and this was an alright interlude. Williamson's writing reminds me of Geoff Johns a little bit, but some of his dialogue is a little too stilted for my tastes. I really hope SOMETHING is done with Gotham Girl, she was an interesting character, and it's a shame to see her go to such a waste.