Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Confusion about Shayera Thal and Kendra Saunders

Ok let's start with Kendra showing up in Justice League (2018). What explanation did they give for where she was before then? She just showed up?

Then we see Shayera in the current issues of Justice League ruling Thanagar. How can she exist along with Kendra?? Isn't Shayera one of Kendra's reincarnations? How can they both be here at the same time?

Or does all this fall under "its because of the Source Wall" category?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I haven't super been following this but I've seen enough that it's the "it's because of the Source Wall" thing, yeah.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Incredible Member

Don't think they ever explained the first part (I think the soft reboot DC had erased the bad Savage Hawkman series) but for the second I guess keep reading the current Justice League for the explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Ok let's start with Kendra showing up in Justice League (2018). What explanation did they give for where she was before then? She just showed up?

Then we see Shayera in the current issues of Justice League ruling Thanagar. How can she exist along with Kendra?? Isn't Shayera one of Kendra's reincarnations? How can they both be here at the same time?

Or does all this fall under "its because of the Source Wall" category?
    Was the Hawkworld-1980s reboot of Shayera maybe involved here?
    After all, even though Hawkman seems to have this multiple worlds/multiple jumps in time reboot thing going on, does Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman have the same deal?
    (And I thought Kendra had been a reincarnation of Golden Age Shiera Sanders, but not necessarily of Silver Age Shayera Hol.)

BANNED

I believe it was stated that Perpetua(mother of the Multiverse)split Shiera Sanders soul to two after her death because she was afraid of what the next Hawk girl incarnation will do to her so she split her to two people Shayera Thal and Kendra Saunders and recently the shayera's soul part of the reincarnation was returned to kendera so she's out of that cycle

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    I believe it was stated that Perpetua(mother of the Multiverse)split Shiera Sanders soul to two after her death because she was afraid of what the next Hawk girl incarnation will do to her so she split her to two people Shayera Thal and Kendra Saunders and recently the shayera's soul part of the reincarnation was returned to kendera so she's out of that cycle
    Shayera was also given her own soul and identity so now they're two completely separate characters.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Is this the Earth 2 Kendra? if so, probably the same way Michael Holt got back to whatever DC's calling the main earth this week.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Is this the Earth 2 Kendra? if so, probably the same way Michael Holt got back to whatever DC's calling the main earth this week.
    No it is not.

Spectacular Member

Basically the Hawks reincarnate across time and space non-linearly now, this was explained in Hawkman. Though in this particular case there was outside interference in why two incarnations were around at once given the new reincarnation logic I don't see why it wouldn't be possible normally regardless (hell we don't know if Katar was the same outside interference deal, he was Hawkman while Carter was still alive too, though trapped in the Dark Multiverse)

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Don't think they ever explained the first part (I think the soft reboot DC had erased the bad Savage Hawkman series) but for the second I guess keep reading the current Justice League for the explanation.
    The Savage Hawkman iteration showed up in last month's JL, Shayera and he were married I believe.

I'm not 100% sure why Kendra and Carter aren't together/in communication with each other...and I read both HAWKMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE...

Carter doesn't really seem to be aware of her existence, but Kendra in JL talks about him as if things didn't work out between them?

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Kendra Saunders first "Rebirth" era appearance was in Dark Knights - Metal, correct? She was running around as Lady Blackhawk for some reason or another...?

I've already blocked most of the Metal mess from memory.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

In nu52, Shayera Hol only appeared once in the Savage Hawkman series, but also died.
    Savage-Hawkman-Carter died in the death of Hawkman mini.

Whether that is still all cannon has not been made clear, but I guess anything is fair game after Rebirth.
    Still, the rest of nu52 Hawkman's continuity appears to still be valid (including his death).

Shayera Hol showing up in JLA threw me because she looked like herself from Savage Hawkman, but was somehow alive again.
    I do remember her dying in Savage Hawkman because I was dumbstruck by the stupidity of killing her so soon after she showed up.

Splitting her soul in two is good because it allows for both Kendra and Shay to be running around (if you ignore her earlier death, since it's comics...)
    Last edited by astro@work; 02-08-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    But Michael Holt was never from Earth 2; he was only there temporarily.
    Was Earth 2 Kendra ever from an Earth other than Earth 2?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The long and the short of it seems to be that Hawkman and Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman were split into two parts and had their histories muddied with repeatedly in order to prevent them from opposing Perpetua, the Big Bad of Snyder's impending summer event.

Given what Snyder & Capullo's Metal revealed about Hawkman's primordial incarnation and his relationship with the Monitors and the Multiverse, plus Venditti & Hitch's Deathbringers origin, it seems pretty likely that both Hawks are going to be pretty central to Snyder's event, along with Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    In nu52, Shayera Hol only appeared once in the Savage Hawkman series once, but also died.
    Savage-Hawkman-Carter died in the death of Hawkman mini.

Whether that is still all cannon has not been made clear, but I guess anything is fair game after Rebirth.
    Still, the rest of nu52 Hawkman's continuity appears to still be valid (including his death).

Shayera Hol showing up in JLA threw me because she looked like herself from Savage Hawkman, but was somehow alive again.
    I do remember her dying in Savage Hawkman because I was dumbstruck by the stupidity of killing her so soon after she showed up.

Splitting her soul in two is good because it allows for both Kendra and Shay to be running around (if you ignore her earlier death, since it's comics...)
    It also means they could potentially have both Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman at the same time. Which was previously impossible, right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman