Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    It sounds like it was mostly editorial redirection than sales (though they were pretty bad). Hopefully it's not Ric Grayson like.

Isn't Ollie's character arc constantly getting his life together only to burn it all down again?
    Hence why I said that happening to him again is just tedious. Just like him and Dinah be happy. They both ought to know better than this by now.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For me Percy was great. I left when he did and from the sounds of it, GA has just treaded water since. I’m guess it will get relaunched with the upcoming DC Summer event.

I agree with this. With the exception of the Supermax inspired arc, it was pretty meh.

As for Lemire, he had once written, I don't remember where, that if he had continued Green Arrow Emiko would have taken over the role. Classic definitely isn't where his head is, and I personally am glad he left the book when he did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I really really hope that Tom Taylor is doing a Green Arrow book.
    i keep on mixing tom taylor from tom king.

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I really really hope that Tom Taylor is doing a Green Arrow book.
    Coincidentally, Tom Taylor has been posting some stuff on his Twitter today, likely hinting at his new project. The most recent one is making some people think it's related to Green Arrow and Black Canary, particularly the aftermath of Green Arrow #50. Nothing confirmed, though. Here's the tweets in order of being posted:

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...04101530669057
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Taylor
    “…it was a sound no one had ever heard before. It was the sound of a Superman breaking the jaw of a God.” #DCEASED
    https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...64577572622336
    “It was, perhaps, the League’s finest hour. It was their last together.” #DCEASED
    https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...68898188505088
    "Pretty Bird. What did you do? What did you--?" #DCeased.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I would LOVE to see Scott McCullar FINALLY get his shot and write Green Arrow on a monthly basis.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Always Rakzo

I guess Taylor would write fun stories with adequate characterization (certainly better than Percy all-around) but I must say that I wasn't a fan of his take on Ollie during Injustice, mostly because he portrayed Ollie more as a classic everyman instead of the overly-flawed character from Green Arrow Vol. 3, not to mention that he puts a huge emphasis on the relationship between Ollie and Dinah and quite frankly, I wish writers were over that already, is never going to work.

That being said, yeah, it would still be good as a whole and, based on his work with Gabby in All-New Wolverine, I believe he would have written a great kid Emiko (if it wasn't because frikking Percy decided to turn her into a more conventional teenager. God, I hate this run so much).

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    As for Lemire, he had once written, I don't remember where, that if he had continued Green Arrow Emiko would have taken over the role.
    Aw man, that would have been SO GOOD. Better than her simply getting Roy's leftovers.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I dropped the book when the whole fire army bank arc was going on and picked it back up again recently with Roy's death and Vertigo's rampage.

Oliver had more personality in the recent comics than he had in a while and I liked that they were introducing more radical left wing characters that made Green Arrow take a more traditional center left position by comparison.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I guess Taylor would write fun stories with adequate characterization (certainly better than Percy all-around) but I must say that I wasn't a fan of his take on Ollie during Injustice, mostly because he portrayed Ollie more as a classic everyman instead of the overly-flawed character from Green Arrow Vol. 3, not to mention that he puts a huge emphasis on the relationship between Ollie and Dinah and quite frankly, I wish writers were over that already, is never going to work.

That being said, yeah, it would still be good as a whole and, based on his work with Gabby in All-New Wolverine, I believe he would have written a great kid Emiko (if it wasn't because frikking Percy decided to turn her into a more conventional teenager. God, I hate this run so much).

Aw man, that would have been SO GOOD. Better than her simply getting Roy's leftovers.
    You and I have very different ideas about Green Arrow. I prefer him a little closer to an everyman and feel he works best when paired with Black Canary. Volume 3 took a nose dive in quality when Winnick took over, so that's the angle I want to run from as fast as possible.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You and I have very different ideas about Green Arrow. I prefer him a little closer to an everyman and feel he works best when paired with Black Canary. Volume 3 took a nose dive in quality when Winnick took over, so that's the angle I want to run from as fast as possible.
    Yes, definitely.

Winick was the one who defined what Team Arrow should be and in some ways, his run was better than what came before. Ollie simply works much better when he's portrayed as a complex and flawed character which means that at one point he must cheat on Dinah and thus, their relationship can't be sustainable.

Mighty Member

Yes, definitely.

Winick was the one who defined what Team Arrow should be and in some ways, his run was better than what came before. Ollie simply works much better when he's portrayed as a complex and flawed character which means that at one point he must cheat on Dinah and thus, their relationship can't be sustainable.
    This just doesn't work for me. What's the point of Ollie growing and developing if he keeps cheating on Dinah? Winick having him cheat on her was a really lame and lazy way to go, which completely contradicted what Kevin Smith and Brad Meltzer did with him, a flawed man having a second chance to better himself. Winnick added a few cool rogues and did some cool stuff with Connor, but, in my mind, he completely undercut the momentum Green Arrow Vol. 3 had going for it by having Ollie cheat on Dinah...again.
    Last edited by Sam; 02-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    This just doesn't work for me. What's the point of Ollie growing and developing if he keeps cheating on Dinah? Winnick having him cheat on her was a really lame and lazy way to go, which completely contradicted what Kevin Smith and Brad Meltzer did with him, a flawed man having a second chance to better himself. Winnick added a few cool rogues and did some cool stuff with Connor, but, in my mind, he completely undercut the momentum Green Arrow Vol. 3 had going for it by having Ollie cheat on Dinah...again.
    The thing is that Ollie had SEVERAL chances even before those runs happened and he kept making the same mistakes over and over. That's just who he is and to be honest, he works for the better that way since there are very few heroes who have such unheroic traits in their normal lives. I mean Ollie could work around those flaws (which is something I believe Roy does) but never completely avoid them because then you might as well write about another character.

And Winick was just following the groundwork that Grell created.

Mighty Member

The thing is that Ollie had SEVERAL chances even before those runs happened and he kept making the same mistakes over and over. That's just who he is and to be honest, he works for the better that way since there are very few heroes who have such unheroic traits in their normal lives. I mean Ollie could work around those flaws (which is something I believe Roy does) but never completely avoid them because then you might as well write about another character.

And Winick was just following the groundwork that Grell created.
    Repeating the same beats that Grell already covered pretty excellently is not interesting though. That's not following groundwork, that's just repeating the same thing cause you got nothing more interesting to say. Smith and Meltzer moved the character in a new and interesting direction. Regressing him the way Winick did is just boring and tired. It's stagnation.
    Currently Reading:

Always Rakzo

Repeating the same beats that Grell already covered pretty excellently is not interesting though. That's not following groundwork, that's just repeating the same thing cause you got nothing more interesting to say. Smith and Meltzer moved the character in a new and interesting direction. Regressing him the way Winick did is just boring and tired. It's stagnation.
    To be honest, neither Smith nor Meltzer made the character get over those flaws, they just acknowledged them in ways that were not present before. It wasn't regression what Winick did, it was simply addressing what was still there

Mighty Member

To be honest, neither Smith nor Meltzer made the character get over those flaws, they just acknowledged them in ways that were not present before. It wasn't regression what Winick did, it was simply addressing what was still there
    No, the message that came from those two runs was that Ollie was trying to move forward. What Winick did was unquestionably regression.
    Currently Reading:

Always Rakzo

No, the message that came from those two runs was that Ollie was trying to move forward. What Winick did was unquestionably regression.
    Eh, not really.

Also, that's the point of Ollie, he always "tries" to move forward but at the end he never does, that's his own nature. Winick was just following that.