Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I'm one of the people that likes Ollie and Dinah together. They are as iconic to me as Lois and Clark, Arthur and Mera, etc. I agree that like any comic book relationship, when written well it works extremely well and when written poorly it is bad.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I enjoy Ollie and Dinah together well.

I like Superhero couples

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I'm one of the people that likes Ollie and Dinah together. They are as iconic to me as Lois and Clark, Arthur and Mera, etc. I agree that like any comic book relationship, when written well it works extremely well and when written poorly it is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    I enjoy Ollie and Dinah together well.

I like Superhero couples
    (Thumbs Up) .

Ben Percy's GA run was GREAT and is one of my favorite GA runs ever. He successfully mixed all of the expected classic Ollie/GA elements with the proper present day elements and sensibilities. I was sad to see Percy go.

Then the Benson sisters came on for a quick ark, which---while it wasn't as great as Percy's---was still very good and fun. So I thought GA was in good stable, hands. But then just as soon as they came, they were off the book.

So then Lanzing and Kelly took over...and it was BAD. I'm talking, some of the worst comic book writing I have ever read in 30 years of collecting bad. I don't know how much of that had to do with them suddenly realizing that they were getting pulled off the book and having all their long term plans for it derailed just 1 issue in, but I still strongly dislike their writing on the 2 issues that have come out.

So as a GA fan, I'm sorry to see what has overall been a great volume of GA get cancelled at #50, but I will also say that the shorter Lanzing and Kelly's time on Green Arrow, the better.

I hope the next volume of Green Arrow comes sooner than later, and that it's just as good and enjoyable as Percy's run was to me when this volume was clicking on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Also, calling him classic Green Arrow, when really Green Arrow was around for decades before any of these characteristics you idolizing came into play, isn't entirely accurate.
    That's not really fair to say. Superman was around for decades before the 1978 Chris Reeve movie came out, but to the general public, the elements of 1978 Superman are CLASSIC Superman. So much so, that most of what made Superman the Movie so popular with the general public still sticks with the character to this day.

For Green Arrow, his "classic" period and interpretation would be Hard Travelling Heroes Green Arrow, and/or to a lesser extent, Mike Grell Green Arrow (which is where most of the elements from the Arrow TV were borrowed from).

Sure, there are some people who really enjoy Golden Age Green Arrow, but for the most part, Golden Age Green Arrow stuff is extremely forgettable (as are most heroes' Golden Age stories, to be fair).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Oliver's infidelity ultimately became an albatross around the character's neck. It was pretty much the only thing he was known for prior to the reboot. It's time to move on. Character's can be more than one thing.
    hopefully there's a relaunch, and hopefully the next writer gets to flesh out ollie's other redeeming qualities.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd love to see Kevin Smith take another swing, but there's a REAL chance if he did, we wouldn't see his story end until 2034!
    I'll say it again, Scott McCullar would be a great option. He has a DEEP love of the characters and he can write!
    I would also be happy if Andy Diggle was given the monthly title to do as he pleased. I think it'd be an interesting read.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.