Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dr Doom vs Ironman

Dr Doom vs Ironman

No prep but both have 5 minutes to grab whatever they can out of their labs to add to their armour. Using tech and science only. Dr Doom can't use time travel or magic.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Tony's just plain better with his armor - it does more and does it better in general. Especially with maneuverability, auto-targeting and stealth. Doom is great at this, but Tony's better, when you take away Doom's big edges, which you have done here.

The classic way to look at this: Doom versus Tony in Mighty Avengers. Tony is winning the armor v. armor fight. Doom whips out the Crimson Bands - effectively an auto-targeting cheat code against anything purely technical, Tony loses. Here, Doom can't do that. He'll lose.

I'd posit also, that while Doom's science and therefore prep level are higher than Stark's, Tony has much better feats for doing things like that one the fly: offering 300 seconds to kit-bash some junk together into a useful tool seems more likely to aid Stark than Vic.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Tony's just plain better with his armor - it does more and does it better in general. Especially with maneuverability, auto-targeting and stealth. Doom is great at this, but Tony's better, when you take away Doom's big edges, which you have done here.

The classic way to look at this: Doom versus Tony in Mighty Avengers. Tony is winning the armor v. armor fight. Doom whips out the Crimson Bands - effectively an auto-targeting cheat code against anything purely technical, Tony loses. Here, Doom can't do that. He'll lose.

I'd posit also, that while Doom's science and therefore prep level are higher than Stark's, Tony has much better feats for doing things like that one the fly: offering 300 seconds to kit-bash some junk together into a useful tool seems more likely to aid Stark than Vic.
    Makes sense. Doom has his own country, with a castle for his headquarters, so he is often free to act at a great distance from the actual fighting. He usually picks his fights and knows who he is going up against. So he tends to rely on a lot of prep, though his armor is certainly combat-ready. By contrast, Iron Man is often reacting to things as they happen, with limited or non-existent intel. So he has a lot more experience with personal combat and also adapting to unexpected circumstances. So less prep time favors Iron Man, while more prep time favors Doom.

There was also that time the two were time traveled to Dark Ages and for one reason or another Tony made ordinance despite time era and whooped Dooms ass.

Yeah over all Doom is superior in the Batman way ( Neaning he is good at a ton of shit.)

But if you cut off his skill tree to just power armor, like here?

Tony every time. The man weaponizes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    There was also that time the two were time traveled to Dark Ages and for one reason or another Tony made ordinance despite time era and whooped Dooms ass.

Yeah over all Doom is superior in the Batman way ( Neaning he is good at a ton of shit.)

But if you cut off his skill tree to just power armor, like here?

Tony every time. The man weaponizes everything.
    I think it's always been recognized that Stark was superior in some ways. Designing armor that he can get into almost instantly is one of them. Flight speed and maneuverability is another and weapons systems. Not sure whether he or Doom has the greater force field.

But Doom has magic, time travel, time-stop, and usually massive one-sided prep along with either the home field advantage, huge situational plot contrivance advantages or that he's the attacker and his opponent didn't know this was coming (which is, again, one-sided prep). Here, all of those advantages are taken away from him. Iron-Man kicks his butt.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Not disagreeing with you but I've always had a problem with that Mighty Avengers fight. I believe it showed how much power was left in each armour and Doom's power reserves depleted three times faster for some reason. You know, the guy almost as smart as Reed Richards, can't design a battery to last as long as Ironman's. It seemed like a contrived way for Doom to whip out magic.

The thread gives Dr. Doom access to his lab for five minutes. I'm pretty sure Doom has stuff just lying around that could whip Ironman. If they were building stuff from scratch, then Tony might have the egde, but Doom starts with much better toys.

Doom's closet of cast off garbage once let the Red Skull do that whole nonsense plot of throwing Captain America through time, it should be said.

That's something of an exaggeration, admittedly? But not quite..

Tony is certainly better at armor making, but as far as a "grab crap from your lab", Doom just has a lot of better things.

Also if he can remake his time dilation machine in five minutes, weeeelll..

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Doom's closet of cast off garbage once let the Red Skull do that whole nonsense plot of throwing Captain America through time, it should be said.

That's something of an exaggeration, admittedly? But not quite..

Tony is certainly better at armor making, but as far as a "grab crap from your lab", Doom just has a lot of better things.

Also if he can remake his time dilation machine in five minutes, weeeelll..
    OP says no wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Edit: My bad - it just says no time travel. Carry on. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Technically the thing from Doom's island of misfit to- uhh inventions is meant to freeze the person it is used on in a moment of space and time anyway ;p

Since only Doom can't use time travel, Stark uses the time-machine he invented in Iron Man volume 3, issue 59, to go back and give Doom's parents a condom.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    OP says no wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Edit: My bad - it just says no time travel. Carry on. Move along. Nothing to see here.
    I wondered about that myself but more or less guessed that the OP saying no time travel probably meant no timestop.
    Power with Girl is better.

With that specific stuff aside, it's mostly otherwise a note of that Doom just generally has better junk around in his labs and what have you.

Including, but not limited to, kidnapped Asgardians and cheap knock off Destroyer Armor tech.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Another thing to consider Doom's Ovoid Mind Transfer technique, which isn't magic and thus available.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member