Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default I miss the love triangle

IMO there's something vital missing from Superman stories when you take it out for too long. Stories where Lois figures out the ruse should be limited to outside of canon.

It was part of the original formula and it was a mistake to leave it behind.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lasil View Post
    IMO there's something vital missing from Superman stories when you take it out for too long. Stories where Lois figures out the ruse should be limited to outside of canon.

It was part of the original formula and it was a mistake to leave it behind.
    I think it was played out on top of making Lois looking weak and shallow, not to mention it also making Superman seem malicious in going along with the ruse.

Present a more modern, less shallow interpretation of it and I might be fine with it. But Clark pining after Lois/Lois pining after Superman...yeah, I don't ever want to go back to that.

My feelings against reboots aside, the love triangle set up is still a fun timeless concept......that being said to me it’s also the kind that would out stay it’s welcome eventually if it’s the status quo for too long. Eventually it gets kinda old and you want their story to move forward. There’s a reason why most modern retellings seem to have her find out sooner rather than later. But yeah emphasis on “eventually.” I’m talking years of hijinks and drama before making that jump with her being in the know.

It's definitely fun up to a point, but you can't really build or maintain any real romantic angle when your hero is constantly gaslighting his love interest. Not a great look in 2019. While you can start from that perspective you can't maintain it for to long in any serious fashion. She is his partner and willingly would take on the risks associated. The whole for her protection angle doesn't fly and really makes no sense anyways.

I've talked myself into it as a way to deal with Bendis, but i'd like to see kinda a reverse take. Where she finds out or he tells her and they then both have to maintain the illusion she doesn't know without having giving away the secret but also have to pretend there's no romantic relationship between the public Clark and Lois.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-07-2019 at 11:06 PM.

The love triangle aspect is one of the reasons why I didn't and still don't like the Lois Lane character.

Incredible Member

I have love hate(mostly hate especially during the Sliver Age era) relationship with triangle story line. It was cute when it done right. Lois is an award winning investigative journalist, she should know Clark and Superman is the same dude by their third meeting. Or they can do something like in Secret Orgin when she looking at his face deeply. I'm sure she will know his true identity shortly after that lol
    or they can do it like in Lois and Clark, Lois telling Clark that he and Superman share the same values.
    Last edited by cookies; 02-07-2019 at 11:26 PM.
    Lois and Clark, Clark and Lois..no matter what, when or where it's always you two. Even in fractured quantum space-time you manage to find each other..but if those tinkering busybodies couldn't keep you apart, why should I waste my time?- Mr Mxyzptlk, Superman #19

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    The love triangle aspect is one of the reasons why I didn't and still don't like the Lois Lane character.
    Then Why are you pro aging up Jon? I am curious. One of the reasons, It is being done is to bring back the triangle in many aspects.
    On the flips side, if you read Action comics #1 Clark deserves the treatment he gets from Lois.

Astonishing Member

Eh its a take it or leave it concept for me.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The novelty and specific nature of the "triangle for two" is something I've liked to an extent. I find myself really enjoying the idea most when it's placed firmly as a stepping stone in the character's personal journey of growth. Like, I loved Darwyn Cooke and Tim Sale's Superman Kryptonite and how it frames the triangle. I love simple fun of Lois and Superman going on some extravagant date. And most of all I love the idea that Lois and Superman dating highlights very very specific character flaws and vulnerabilities in Clark/Superman. It was a hurdle he needed to have the courage to get over.

So because of all of that I never want it abolished from their shared history. Doing that literally taking away an already established character arc from a character who people complain is born full formed. But I don't have much of an itch to read about perpetually.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The triangle only works by either throwing Clark(disguise) under the bus or Lois under the bus. I hate both so i am not particularly missing it.

To maintain it long term you have to contrive ways for Lois to constantly be in the dark or Clark has to actively lie to a woman he purportedly loves. I mean it's not a healthy protrayal of any kind of relationship. So it can't really last. Having it function as a character flaw, and his letting her into his life as overcoming that is a pretty solid way to show growth. Smallville did that really well in the 10th season I feel. And the way Lois discovered it on her own but waited for him to tell her was handled well.

The Clark/Lois/Superman love triangle can be fun to a point but only for short-term, especially in live action and animation, and it depends how it's done. There is more than one way, but when you have Lois seeing Clark every day and Superman often too and she still doesn't figure it out, then she comes off really dumb, and she is supposed to be a very smart woman.

Clark also looks bad when he keeps lying for too long. In the Death of Superman movie he lied to Lois about his identity because he was trying to protect her from danger, but eventually he realized he had to trust her and be totally honest with her. Personally, I prefer a more mature relationship in which both support each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    To maintain it long term you have to contrive ways for Lois to constantly be in the dark or Clark has to actively lie to a woman he purportedly loves. I mean it's not a healthy protrayal of any kind of relationship. So it can't really last. Having it function as a character flaw, and his letting her into his life as overcoming that is a pretty solid way to show growth. Smallville did that really well in the 10th season I feel. And the way Lois discovered it on her own but waited for him to tell her was handled well.
    Yeah the best part about the triangle is how it gets resolved. There’s a great character arc with Clark finally telling her.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 02-07-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Yeah the best part about the triangle is how it gets resolved. There’s a great character arc with Clark finally telling her. The Death of Superman movie is a great example of that done right.
    Yes Death of Superman did it pretty well BUT Lois still comes off bad when she can't figure out Clark is Superman, especially when she has seen both up close. It could have helped if Clark had some kind of disguise but he didn't. He acted normal almost like when he is in the Superman costume. All Star handled the Clark disguise better, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    In Smallville, it is different and i liked it there. There lois's intelligence never had to be questioned. She subconsciously knew that "the blur" is clark without actually seeing the face of "the blur". Lois was never portrayed as any kind "bitch" to Clark. She liked teasing Clark. But overall Lois had become someone who pushes Clark to do better in a way that was sincere and true. Clark wasn't portrayed as weak willed guy who pushes a girl into some goons either. There was no Clark kent persona in that show. Clark was no nerd or a geek.He couldn't really live as a jock either and stay true to himself. He was a misfit in every category.