Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Superman's intelligence have always been underplayed. So him making a robot is not gonna happen(gotta keep batman smartest guy in the room) . He might get hand outs from Krypton though,just like the crystal fortress. Frankly, that doesn’t show the intelligence of Clark to pull of his abysmal disguise.
    If he gets robots from Krypton, then he really doesn't need intelligence to pull off his disguise does he? He just needs to know how to make the robots cover for him. And again, that's not including help from shapeshifters, illusionists and psychics projecting images of him wherever, Bizarro clones, and so forth. Your disguise can absolutely be abysmal and still work when you can pull off being in two places at once, and Superman has an abundance of options in that arena. And it's not like you'd be introducing the audience to any new concepts, all these things exist in media, you just need to introduce it to them in association with Superman.

And again, it isn't a problem if he just hides his face by saving peeps at superspeed, not letting his face get caught on camera, and not letting Lois interact with Superman or Lex meet Clark for most or all of the movie. If you've never seen both Clark and Superman, you wouldn't know they have the same face.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Even then, it is a stretch. Having someone posing as Clark and while he is being superman works. But still people not even seeing the resemblance is something that i can not get behind. I would rather people call it out like in "american alien" and then drop it because of the double .
    But still, Lois should be able to tell the difference after she starts dating him and gone out with him for couple of months. So, it would just make her seem like oblivious.
    Edit-And i can get behind the triangle if it is like the one in "smallville"

Even then, it is a stretch. Having someone posing as Clark and while he is being superman works. But still people not even seeing the resemblance is something that i can not get behind. I would rather people call it out like in "american alien" and then drop it because of the double

That's kind of what I was implying by the robots and shapeshifters and things, once people do know what Superman looks like they think he looks similar to Clark until they see a robot/clone/illusion/whatever body double in the same place as Clark. They see it, are suspicious, then drop it because Superman and Clark are seen at the same time separately.

But still, Lois should be able to tell the difference after she starts dating him and gone out with him for couple of months. So, it would just make her seem like oblivious.
    Edit-And i can get behind the triangle if it is like the one in "smallville"
    Again, only if Lois interacts with both of them. If she isn't used as a damsel in distress who needs saving, she might never get to know Superman well enough to tell it's Clark.

And how was it done in Smallville?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post

That's kind of what I was implying by the robots and shapeshifters and things, once people do know what Superman looks like they think he looks similar to Clark until they see a robot/clone/illusion/whatever body double in the same place as Clark. They see it, are suspicious, then drop it because Superman and Clark are seen at the same time separately.

Again, only if Lois interacts with both of them. If she isn't used as a damsel in distress who needs saving, she might never get to know Superman well enough to tell it's Clark.

She never saw his face when he saved her but she interacted with him over the phone while in a relationship with Clark.

In Smallville there was only Clark(real guy not the persona ) and "the blur". The blur's face was always hidden and used phone to talk to lois with his changed voice. But, still Lois found out after a kiss in the end. But still it lasted long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    She never saw his face when he saved her but she interacted with him over the phone while in a relationship with Clark.
    In Smallville there was only Clark(real guy not the persona ) and "the blur". The blur's face was always hidden and used phone to talk to lois with his changed voice. But, still Lois found out after a kiss in the end. But still it lasted long enough.
    Yeah, you apply something like that in films or comics then people wouldn't think Lois is dumb for not realizing it at all. After all, she never saw Superman's/the blur's face.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Clark isn't using robot replicas or super powers to fool people. He's using a pair of glasses and an exaggerated view of a nerdy reporter to fool them.
    He probably has at some point in the past. I distinctly remember a point in the Superboy series where he tricked Lana by using a Superboy bot. Even still it means his intelligence is above the vast majority of the planet.

Astonishing Member

You are fooling yourself. If you think "superman robots" are going to be a large part any outside media adaptations. The only one that even mentioned it was an animated cartoon. That to passively without much importance.
    And general public largely now views his secret identity as stupid and not believable.And lois, lex and rest of metropolis are always stigmatised for not being able to figure it out. There was a comedic element to the triangle, which does not work anymore especially if you want a level of seriousness and depth the current comics thinks it has. Triangle like the old days, just doesn't work with tone of today's DC comics in general.
    If the comics of today are too serious for the Clark/Superman secret I.D gag thing to work then the comics of today are too serious for Superman to work at all. Might be time for Big Blue to hang it up. He's a guy from space who's functionally different from us in every way yet looks exactly like us. The concept is whimsical in it's trappings even if Superman himself and the situations he gets into can be intense.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    If the comics of today are too serious for the Clark/Superman secret I.D gag thing to work then the comics of today are too serious for Superman to work at all. Might be time for Big Blue to hang it up. He's a guy from space who's functionally different from us in every way yet looks exactly like us. The concept is whimsical in it's trappings even if Superman himself and the situations he gets into can be intense.
    Hey! I am just describing the situation and the climate. I did not say i like it. Maybe alan moore's "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" has it's merit.i would love for some of the more weirder and more whimsical aspects to be focused. But, i don't think that is happening. Since, kids are no longer major part of the demographic "superman" is for. And Most fandom prefers wolverines and batmans of the genre. Also the humor Superman goes for might not even work today. Because marvel style quips, deadpool and harley style 4th wall breaking is what is in fashion right now. Superman used to do that albeit in way different way before but i don't know if people will accept a humorous superman, now. They preconceived notions regarding the character.

I think the main issue is to not show Superman as an insensitive person and a d!ck. And Lois as a needy girlfriend or an idiot.

Showing a more whimsical Superman is fine depending on the medium but in live action it needs to be introduced slowly, but we can't go back to camp and pure fairytale. Superman has evolved from that. I think a mix of styles is probably the way to go. Superman is a very romantic story at its core. He's the eternal optimist. It's fine to show a darker and more realistic world, but don't make Superman himself dark. That's not his niche.

It's also ok to show how intellectually advance he truly is, but again, you don't want to make him all knowing and all powerful all the time. Show it in little doses and have fun with the concept remembering he lives in a semi-realistic world. I mean, a world with superheros and supervillains can't be totally realistic. For me a mix of Man of Steel, the animated movies/shows and Donner Superman is the way to go.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Hey! I am just describing the situation and the climate. I did not say i like it. Maybe alan moore's "whatever happened to the man of tomorrow" has it's merit.i would love for some of the more weirder and more whimsical aspects to be focused. But, i don't think that is happening. Since, kids are no longer major part of the demographic "superman" is for. And Most fandom prefers wolverines and batmans of the genre. Also the humor Superman goes for might not even work today. Because marvel style quips, deadpool and harley style 4th wall breaking is what is in fashion right now. Superman used to do that albeit in way different way before but i don't know if people will accept a humorous superman, now. They preconceived notions regarding the character.
    All Star Superman was as weird and whimsical as it gets, and that blew up as huge as comics get today. The MCU started out grounded with Iron Man, but by this point has grown just as whimsical and weird as All Star, so that tone could definitely work in a Superman film. As for Superman's humor vs Marvel quippy banter and Deadpool fourth wall breaking? Eh, you could be right or you could be wrong, humor is kind of a hard thing to pin down. Just because one form of humor is dominant at the moment in Hollywood doesn't mean the audience won't be thrilled with another sort of humor. Good comedic elements and humor is always funny no matter what is in style, people still laugh at slapstick after all despite it not being as prevalent as it once was.

All Star Superman was as weird and whimsical as it gets, and that blew up as huge as comics get today. The MCU started out grounded with Iron Man, but by this point has grown just as whimsical and weird as All Star, so that tone could definitely work in a Superman film. As for Superman's humor vs Marvel quippy banter and Deadpool fourth wall breaking? Eh, you could be right or you could be wrong, humor is kind of a hard thing to pin down. Just because one form of humor is dominant at the moment in Hollywood doesn't mean the audience won't be thrilled with another sort of humor. Good comedic elements and humor is always funny no matter what is in style, people still laugh at slapstick after all despite it not being as prevalent as it once was.
    yeah. I think Aquaman, Wonder Woman and the mcu clearly show that general audiences enjoy the humor. As long as it's not overdone and turn a film like Superman into a full comedy, it's fine. And don't do jokes in very dramatic moments or it takes you out of it. The Aquaman movie was very funny, but it was also careful not to do it during very serious moments. That's very important. Even Game of Thrones have it's moments of humor, I mean. It doesn't get darker as that show.

So it depends how it's done. iMO, a Superman film needs some humor and lots of heart. That can be done by doing more light-hearted scenes. A joyful moment doesn't necessarily mean a joke. It's just a nice and sweet moment to remind us that Superman is also fun, warm and heartfelt.

Another important thing in these film is, don't play the villains campy. That doesn't work anymore. Supervillains are there to up the stakes not for us to laugh at them.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-11-2019 at 03:13 PM.