Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

The triangle would need to be upgraded so as to not make any of the parties manipulative, pushovers, foolish, stupid or shallow. If they can avoid all of that, I don't mind it coming back somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Yes Death of Superman did it pretty well BUT Lois still comes off bad when she can't figure out Clark is Superman, especially when she has seen both up close. It could have helped if Clark had some kind of disguise but he didn't. He acted normal almost like when he is in the Superman costume. All Star handled the Clark disguise better, I think.
    That was the laziest part of that movie by far. All Star and of course Christopher Reeve's transformation scene from Superman sell it. I also like American Alien's take. Where Clark said people always just told him he looks like Superman and laugh it off. That's probably how it'd actually go down.

Some of it you just have to chalk up to suspension of disbelief. Jimmy, Perry, and Lex all are typically around both and are never the wiser either.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Yes Death of Superman did it pretty well BUT Lois still comes off bad when she can't figure out Clark is Superman, especially when she has seen both up close. It could have helped if Clark had some kind of disguise but he didn't. He acted normal almost like when he is in the Superman costume. All Star handled the Clark disguise better, I think.
    I’m ok with her suspecting but I think he should be the one to tell her. It’s more interesting to see him make the decision to get out of his comfort zone to make that leap. I don’t think she looks bad if she doesn’t suspect who he is. It’s comic logic, everyone falls for the glasses, Lex Luthor is the smartest man in the world and he falls for it all the time. Anyway I know what you are saying with All Star and how he hunched over and whatnot. I loved Quietly’s interpretation even if I personally don’t need that to go that far to suspend disbelief. Though All Star is also a funny example since she didn’t believe him even after he told her, lol.

In Smallville Lois figures it out in the last episode of season 9 and season 10 was the last season. That was good.

Lois figuring out Clark's secret and them getting married is something that should happen near the end.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lasil View Post
    In Smallville Lois figures it out in the last episode of season 9 and season 10 was the last season. That was good.

Lois figuring out Clark's secret and them getting married is something that should happen near the end.
    Considering it happened nearly sixty years into their history, I'd say that's a decent chunk of time to wait.

If the story has a clear beginning, middle, and end, I could make a stronger argument that her finding out should be later in the sequence, but then it also matters how long of a story we're talking about.

When you look at something like Lois & Clark, which ran for four seasons, her finding out at the series midpoint made sense. If the show somehow were to last 20 seasons, I think having to wait 10 seasons would've seemed like a long time, perhaps too long.

Superman is the prototype superhero with a secret identity, and as such, I do miss the days when Lois didn't know. Either way you go, you can tell good stories, but I find stuff like DCEU a bit lacking in the sense that they skipped the secret ID part of the story altogether. The days of Lois' trying to prove Superman is Clark Kent is something I file into my brain as "classic" Superman, whereas the era in which she knows and is married to the guy (or even the mother of his kid) as "modern" Superman. Also in my head, "modern" is what changes you have to make, both good and bad, in order to keep an long-running story click with the audience of the time, and "classic" is what the character was meant to be about when he was created. So, when you get a chance to tell a Superman story for new audiences, I'd rather they stick to the "classic" mold.

Also, these days my favorite DC content tends to be from the Lego line, and "classic" Superman seems to fit the tone of Lego more than "modern."

Astonishing Member

I think the triangle is a good concept and much prefer it to the "Lois creates Superman" stuff in Smallville or Man of Steel where Lois plays a major role in setting up the identity and is in on the secret from Day One.

I don't mind her discovering the secret but to me it should take a bit of work … or else the whole secret id concept falls like a house of cards. I think if Clark is supposed to be able to interact in both identities with the police or even other reporters then there has to be more to his cover than just those people not getting a good look at both men. So I'd rather Lois' reporter skills take the hit than Clark's disguise. Let her eventual discovery be the result of her actually piecing stuff together from multiple sources. But just avoid the stupid Silver Age bit of her constantly setting traps for him and his cleverly avoiding them. And let Clark be a bit naïve as well in that whatever Lois might do to ferret out proof is something he avoids without ever realizing she set it up. She tries to get him to lift a deceptively heavy object and he simply assumes she is unaware how heavy it really is (though he tells her it is too heavy to lift),

And I kind of like the idea that Clark wanted to see if Lois was just attracted to the flash of his powers and fame. I'd prefer he never enter a romantic relationship as Superman (barring someone like Wonder Woman) and date exclusively as Clark So the triangle isn't in my mind ever based on Superman and Clark both actively pursuing Lois, but only Lois being attracted to Superman and seeing any other man as a consolation prize. And lois isn't the type to settle for that.

As for the lying part, I've always found that an interesting dilemma. Clark doesn't tell anyone his secret on meeting them. He didn't tell Pete Ross (Post-Crisis) or Lana (Pre-Crisis) and they were his friends for over a decade. So just how long is too long to wait?

If he tells her when they have been friends for 6 months, is that too soon? Too Late? If he tells her as a trusted friend, should he tell Jimmy and Perry at that point?

Does he tell her the first time they are on a date? That's sure to earn him a second date, right? And is the revelation any better or is it worse if he waits a few more dates to see if this is going anywhere romantically?

He has to tell her at some point before they get engaged- but honestly look at it from both sides and tell me just when you would tell your significant other … and is that the same time you'd be satisfied if you were the one being told for the first time?

BANNED

It was part of the original formula and it was a mistake to leave it behind.
    No it wasn't and it's dangerous thinking to want it back, as it leads to a lot of regression for everyone involved. Many comics are poorer for occasionally going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    No it wasn't and it's dangerous thinking to want it back, as it leads to a lot of regression for everyone involved. Many comics are poorer for occasionally going back.
    No offense but I don't think it's dangerous to want what the creator thought was the best way to write the characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I don't entirely agree. I think it would be regressive to have the current Superman and his wife revert to this set-up, but I wouldn't mind some out-of-continuity or untold tales that made use of it. Having an unmarried Lois and Clark in a future animated feature still at this stage could be fun. If they decide to start over with the cinematic Superman stuff, I'd love them to not have Lois in on the secret as part of the film.

I don't. It was a toxic and ugly aspect of the relationship and the less it's used the better.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-08-2019 at 03:33 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

When did Lois create "superman" in "smallville"? As far as i remember she created "Clark kent" persona. The costume was given to him by martha. And jor el took it later on and put it in his fortress.
    Lois created "clark kent" persona from the way she saw him as,initially. Then he just began to confuse the heck out of her.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-08-2019 at 03:56 AM.

No offense but I don't think it's dangerous to want what the creator thought was the best way to write the characters.
    Don't forget they wrote a story in 1940 where he revealed his identity to her and they intended them to then work as a team from that point. That was killed by DC at the time I believe. So it's not like they were opposed to the idea. It was their idea.

Plus at the time there was no need to progress characters beyond their initial status because the audience was thought to turn over as kids aged out. They weren't telling serialized stories like is expected now. Storylines need to and are expected to progress. And even then he's been marrying Lois since the 40's anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    As for the lying part, I've always found that an interesting dilemma. Clark doesn't tell anyone his secret on meeting them. He didn't tell Pete Ross (Post-Crisis) or Lana (Pre-Crisis) and they were his friends for over a decade. So just how long is too long to wait?

If he tells her when they have been friends for 6 months, is that too soon? Too Late? If he tells her as a trusted friend, should he tell Jimmy and Perry at that point?

Does he tell her the first time they are on a date? That's sure to earn him a second date, right? And is the revelation any better or is it worse if he waits a few more dates to see if this is going anywhere romantically?

He has to tell her at some point before they get engaged- but honestly look at it from both sides and tell me just when you would tell your significant other … and is that the same time you'd be satisfied if you were the one being told for the first time?
    That all kind of fits with the whole Superman is just dealing with our problems turned up to a ridiculous level. It's like any relationship, you have to judge when to open up and make yourself vulnerable to the other person. It should definitely happen prior to any engagement, but I don't think it needs to be super early. And his opening up to her should be a huge step for him personally.

He shouldn't tell Jimmy I don't think. Jimmy is an idiot. He'd just blurt it out to the next lizard girl he hooks up with.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-08-2019 at 06:11 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    The triangle would need to be upgraded so as to not make any of the parties manipulative, pushovers, foolish, stupid or shallow. If they can avoid all of that, I don't mind it coming back somehow.
    tbh, the aftermath drama is the fun part lol

Lois and Clark, Clark and Lois..no matter what, when or where it's always you two. Even in fractured quantum space-time you manage to find each other..but if those tinkering busybodies couldn't keep you apart, why should I waste my time?- Mr Mxyzptlk, Superman #19

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    When did Lois create "superman" in "smallville"? As far as i remember she created "Clark kent" persona. The costume was given to him by martha. And jor el took it later on and put it in his fortress.
    Lois created "clark kent" persona from the way she saw him as,initially. Then he just began to confuse the heck out of her.
    Is there nothing this (SUPER)man can do or come up with on his own?

Lois creates the dual identity. Momma gives him his clothes. Space daddy has to lay out his career as a hero. Yikes.