Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    This is an interesting theory. Could Nate be that calculating, wherein he's allowing Apocalypse to stir the pot, in order to lure out those predisposed to mutiny?
    It would explain why Nate would allow Apocalypse out at all. Nate hates Apocalypse, so why let him or even Evan just be about? They each probably have some level of immunity to his telepathy and Apocalypse is just a very ambitious, intelligent, and charismatic sociopath.

So yeah, this would explain a bit.

It could easily bsckfire, of course. What is Nate going to do if everyone rebels?

Heck, Glob is probably not being mindwiped because Nate just doesn't care about him. How many other people are not being mindwiped because Nate just isn't worried about them?

BANNED

Regardless if it fails or not, which it likely would/will for plot purposes, if Nate's bein' that deliberate & thinkin' that far ahead... now THAT, that would be subversive. I would give the dude some serious props, for comin' up with a contingency plan on that level.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Regardless if it fails or not, which it likely would/will for plot purposes, if Nate's bein' that deliberate & thinkin' that far ahead... now THAT, that would be subversive. I would give the dude some serious props, for comin' up with a contingency plan on that level.
    Yeah, it's such a good idea that I bet it won't happen lol

But away it goes into the theory pile!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Yeah, it's such a good idea that I bet it won't happen lol

But away it goes into the theory pile!
    I think what I'm liking most about AoXM so far is that it's the first event in a very long time where "intriguing" feels like a literal descriptor, and in multiple definitions of the word. It rouses a very real curiosity about just what's going on beneath the surface, we have literal intrigue/subversion/skulduggery plots running through most of the series, and there are multiple layers of mystery present. It's refreshing as hell after basic, often self-contradictory, hero-vs-hero events like AvX, IvX, and Schism to be getting something so complex that feels like there's been real thought put into all the aspects of how it should work.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I think what I'm liking most about AoXM so far is that it's the first event in a very long time where "intriguing" feels like a literal descriptor, and in multiple definitions of the word. It rouses a very real curiosity about just what's going on beneath the surface, we have literal intrigue/subversion/skulduggery plots running through most of the series, and there are multiple layers of mystery present. It's refreshing as hell after basic, often self-contradictory, hero-vs-hero events like AvX, IvX, and Schism to be getting something so complex that feels like there's been real thought put into all the aspects of how it should work.
    But this is why I'm honestly trying to keep myself in check. Yeah, it definitely feels like the X-Office is having fun and creating a layered and complex narrative that will have some fun twists and turns in it, but I have been burnt before.

That being said, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

I mean, Apocalypse is a rather personal villain for Nate. Just letting him out and about doesn't seem like something he would want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    But this is why I'm honestly trying to keep myself in check. Yeah, it definitely feels like the X-Office is having fun and creating a layered and complex narrative that will have some fun twists and turns in it, but I have been burnt before.
    I feel you. But I think this crew might have more freedom to do the unexpected given that this is kind of a self-contained AU. It's a set storyline - no one's going to be derailing anything or forcing plotlines to be dropped because of crossovers or early cancellation. So I'm daring to be optimistic.

Yep, another strong entry in the AoXM event:

spoilers:
    Brisson did a great job making Dept X seem scary as hell - Betsy as the attractive, smiling, squeaky-clean "for the greater good" face of law and order, Blob as the actual enforcer of that order, the lawful neutral thug threatening and manhandling a teenage girl (after possibly having tried to literally burn her and her friends out in the first place!). These guys are the role models for the next generation of heroes. Man. I suspect I am gonna have some complicated-as-hell feelings about the cast once The X-Tremists finally hits the shelves.

Most of this issue was about setting up character roles and building tension. Glob is still acting as our everyman. I think the way Brisson is going with this isn't that he was overlooked by Nate, but that he's been mindwiped before and his telepathic resistance has allowed him to keep some fragments of his canonical memories, and they're slowly resurfacing. Bling! and Anole seem to be forming a student resistance, and have definitely been caught and mindwiped before. Also, Anole is much better treated here than in Disassembled - he seems to have a brain, and the writer remembered his regen and camouflage powers. I honestly cannot tell if Pixie is a construct as theorized, or just an extreme goody two-shoes/suck-up, but yeah, not to be trusted. Armor seems a little too earnestly conflicted to be a plant, though.

I think the whole creepy aura of manipulation and fluid reality surrounding AoXM hits a bit harder here than in Marvelous X-Men #1 because the focus characters here are kids struggling against indoctrination and being repressed, both insidiously and violently, in response. So yeah, this book has the potential hit right smack in the feels once things go from "skin-crawlingly bad" to "Oh ****!" levels of fucked up. (And we just know they're going to.) I did not think I'd ever be saying that about something centered on Glob, but there you are.

Cameos:
    Teaching: Madison Jeffries, Sunfire, Husk, CeCe Reyes
    Students: Gentle (miscolored), Match (miscolored), Transonic (miscolored), Primal
    Other: The Marvelous X-Men cast
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-13-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Incredible Member bladeofdarkness's Avatar

spoilers:
    So, Glob confirmed as memetic molester.
    end of spoilers

Also, while the art is absolutely fantastic, I have a minor gripe in that Armor should not have BLUE eyes, and in some scenes she does.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    spoilers:
    So, Glob confirmed as memetic molester.
    end of spoilers

Also, while the art is absolutely fantastic, I have a minor gripe in that Armor should not have BLUE eyes, and in some scenes she does.
    Agreed. I don't know WTF was up with some of the coloring choices here. Maybe if someone asks JDW about it, it can get tweaked for the trade. The stuff with Match is just annoying. Gentle and Armor are bit more... yeah.

Forgetting to mention Blob and Bling!, which was the most interesting scene of all.

And Manon and Maxine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Forgetting to mention Blob and Bling!, which was the most interesting scene of all.
    What are you referring to?

And Manon and Maxine.
    Manon and Maxine were in the preview.

What are you referring to?

Manon and Maxine were in the preview.
    Okay, I thought you were listing who appeared. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Okay, I thought you were listing who appeared. Guess not.
    Nah, didn't list the primary cast either - like the twins, that was pretty evident from the preview. But some of the aspects people have been curious about are about who's crossing into which books and where the X-Men we saw in the big free-for-all landed in the AoXM; Heroine Addict is even compiling a fresh list. So I was just updating on that front.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 02-13-2019 at 02:13 AM. Reason: typos

Yep, another strong entry in the AoXM event:

spoilers:
    Brisson did a great job making Dept X seem scary as hell - Betsy as the attractive, smiling, squeaky-clean "for the greater good" face of law and order, Blob as the actual enforcer of that order, the lawful neutral thug threatening and manhandling a teenage girl (after possibly having tried to literally burn her and her friends out in the first place!). These guys are the role models for the next generation of heroes. Man. I suspect I am gonna have some complicated-as-hell feelings about the cast once The X-Tremists finally hits the shelves.

Most of this issue was about setting up character roles and building tension. Glob is still acting as our everyman. I think the way Brisson is going with this isn't that he was overlooked by Nate, but that he's been mindwiped before and his telepathic resistance has allowed him to keep some fragments of his canonical memories, and they're slowly resurfacing. Bling! and Anole seem to be forming a student resistance, and have definitely been caught and mindwiped before. Also, Anole is much better treated here than in Disassembled - he seems to have a brain, and the writer remembered his regen and camouflage powers. I honestly cannot tell if Pixie is a construct as theorized, or just an extreme goody two-shoes/suck-up, but yeah, not to be trusted. Armor seems a little too earnestly conflicted to be a plant, though.

I think the whole creepy aura of manipulation and fluid reality surrounding AoXM hits a bit harder here than in Marvelous X-Men #1 because the focus characters here are kids struggling against indoctrination and being repressed, both insidiously and violently, in response. So yeah, this book has the potential hit right smack in the feels once things go from "skin-crawlingly bad" to "Oh ****!" levels of fucked up. (And we just know they're going to.) I did not think I'd ever be saying that about something centered on Glob, but there you are.

Cameos:
    Teaching: Madison Jeffries, Sunfire, Husk, CeCe Reyes
    Students: Gentle (miscolored), Match (miscolored), Transonic (miscolored), Primal
    Other: The Marvelous X-Men cast
    end of spoilers
    This sounds SENSATIONAL!!

I'm so bummed because my LCS announced they likely won't have their shipment of books till tomorrow due to the midwest polar vortex delaying the truck(s).

UGH. #FirstNerdProblems

Thank you for the lovely summary, Anduinel. Bummer about the mis-colorings.

BANNED

This issue was soooooo good. All praise the Lifebringer Brisson and his herald Glob.