Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chip Zdarsky, what’s your take on his 20 issues of PPSSM?

I just finished reading his Spectacular run and wow, it really was just that. I laughed a good bit and damn it, he almost had me in tears with the last issues. I thoroughly enjoyed what he wrote and 310 has to be up there as one of the best single issues of any Spidey title.

I’m quite looking forward to his Daredevil and catching up on his 2 in 1 issues.

Astonishing Member

Link to the topic I created about Chip Zdarsky run on Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Spider-Man-run

Astonishing Member

To answer your question, I liked most of it with two great stories in My Dinner With Jonah (#6) and Finale (#310). I love #310, an instant classic.

Thanks for the redirect! Nice to read those other thoughts and participate in the poll. I rated great. I do also remember some parts in the middle that were not as good. Issues 6 and 310 really were fantastic, classics for me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Thanks for the redirect! Nice to read those other thoughts and participate in the poll. I rated great. I do also remember some parts in the middle that were not as good. Issues 6 and 310 really were fantastic, classics for me.
    Glad to help. With you on #6 and #310. Really liked Amazing Fantasy (#301-303) and No More (#304-305) more than most. #300 sucked for an anniversary issue and I got tired of the Tinkerer also.

I gave him a shot. Not a fan.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I gave him a shot. Not a fan.
    #310 didn't do it for you?

It was very hit or miss for me. There were several issues that were just fantastic and others I could hardly get through. Now with that being said I loved his Marvel 2 in 1! That series was phenomenal! I am also looking forward to his Daredevil run coming up.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

I liked a lot of his stories, loved that he took on Peter's sister and the Jameson issues are a revelation, but he's another guy who just failed to make a version of Peter and Gwen together interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I liked a lot of his stories, loved that he took on Peter's sister and the Jameson issues are a revelation, but he's another guy who just failed to make a version of Peter and Gwen together interesting.
    To be fair, based on her character and our prior conversation...that is very, VERY difficult to do with 616 Gwen lol

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    To answer your question, I liked most of it with two great stories in My Dinner With Jonah (#6) and Finale (#310). I love #310, an instant classic.
    I agree. I thought the first 3-4 issues were terrible though, and it did get kinda boring in the middle with the poorly done (IMO) alternate future plot. Other than those issues, I enjoyed pretty much everything else, and the two issues you mentioned have to rank somewhere among the greatest Spider-Man stories.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

I think his run really grows on you over time and improves a lot from the initial few issues, but I think he's got to have written one of my least favorite milestone issues for his run (#300).

Like, I definitely go into a milestone issue expecting the titular character of said issue to be overshadowed by a bunch of guest heroes taking the spotlight away and end up not really doing that much in the issue overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think his run really grows on you over time and improves a lot from the initial few issues, but I think he's got to have written one of my least favorite milestone issues for his run (#300).

Like, I definitely go into a milestone issue expecting the titular character of said issue to be overshadowed by a bunch of guest heroes taking the spotlight away and end up not really doing that much in the issue overall.
    To be fair, I think its pretty safe to say that he didn't intend the issue to be a milestone issue, and it just ended up being that due to Marvel's legacy numbering. When you look at it as just 2 issues smushed together into one, I don't think its not too bad.

That’s a good point, maybe he didn’t notice, wasn’t counting. But... What about editorial? Wouldn’t they have been up his ass about it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I agree. I thought the first 3-4 issues were terrible though, and it did get kinda boring in the middle with the poorly done (IMO) alternate future plot. Other than those issues, I enjoyed pretty much everything else, and the two issues you mentioned have to rank somewhere among the greatest Spider-Man stories.
    In agreement with you. My Dinner With Jonah would make my top twenty greatest Spider-Man stories. Finale, top ten.