Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default History of Spider-Man and the Eisner Awards

Thought it would be interesting for anyone who is curious to check out the history of all the Spider-Man series and issues that have won or been nominated for Eisner awards.

Winners:
    Spider-Man (1997) – Al Williamson, Best Inker
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #17-18 (1997) – Al Williamson, Best Inker
    Amazing Spider-Man #30-35 (2002) – J. Michael Straczynski, John Romita Jr., Scott Hanna, Best Serialized Story
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2002) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2003) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer

Nominees:
    Amazing Spider-Man (1989) – Todd MacFarlane, Best Artist
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man (1997) – Kurt Busiek, Pat Ollife, Best Comics For Young Audience
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man (1997) – Kurt Busiek, Best Writer
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man Annual ’96 (1997) – Joe Sinnott, Best Inker
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man (1997) – Tom Brevoort, Best Editor
    Essential Spider-Man Vol. 2 (1998) – Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Best Archival Collection
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2001) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2004) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man (2007) – Stan Lee, Oliver Copiel, Mark Morales, Best Short Story
    Sensational Spider-Man Annual (2008) – Matt Fraction, Salvador Larroca, Best Single Issue
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 (2008) – Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Best Archival Collection
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2012) – Brian Michael Bendis, Sara Pichelli, Best Continuing Series
    Ultimate Spider-Man #155 (2012) – Chris Samnee, Best Penciller/Inker
    Amazing Spider-Man (2012) – Marcos Martin, Best Cover Artist
    Superior Foes Of Spider-Man (2015) – Nick Spencer, Steve Lieber, Best Humour Publication
    Spider-Gwen (2018) – Clayton Cowles, Best Lettering

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Based on the nominees, Spider-Man pencillers and inkers and artists tend to get nominated more often than writers. They also favor writers from an indie background or who have chops with creator-owned work, like Bendis and Fraction both do, or JMS who was an established figure outside the genre as a TV producer and novelist.

But yeah, Bendis won more Eisners than anyone. And Matt Fraction's "To Have and to Hold" is the only single-issue of Spider-Man ever nominated. Non-continuity standalone stuff like Untold Tales by Kurt Busiek and Spider-Gwen get looks in.

Not that awards count or anything. I also wonder if Eisner is an industry or a fan award because I can sort of sense an Anti-OMD bias in the last

The idea of anything beating Foes for best humor publication shows what's wrong with our SOCIETY.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    But yeah, Bendis won more Eisners than anyone. And Matt Fraction's "To Have and to Hold" is the only single-issue of Spider-Man ever nominated. Non-continuity standalone stuff like Untold Tales by Kurt Busiek and Spider-Gwen get looks in.
    I would also count JMS & JRJR's Coming Home arc, since that also has specific issues being highlighted, as opposed to something like Ultimate Spider-Man which just won for the series as a whole, though if you look at the years you can probably guess which stories were what helped it win (basically issues #1-32, the first 5 volumes).

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The idea of anything beating Foes for best humor publication shows what's wrong with our SOCIETY.
    Apparently "The Complete Cul de Sac" by Richard Thompson beat it out that year, which I haven't read so can't accurately compare, but I think its safe in saying Superior Foes deserved it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This. Loved the Superior Foes of Spider-Man issues by Spencer/Lieber. Funniest comic book series I've read.

Astonishing Member

Surprised Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 (2008) – Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Best Archival Collection and Brian Michael Bendis for Ultimate Spider-Man (2001) didn't win either as that was a nominee for 2000 USM, right?

BANNED

Chip Zdarsky won today for Spectacular #310. First writer of 616 to win since JMS, first to write Spider-Man since Bendis, and first time a single issue won outright, rather than being nominated as in the case of Fraction.

Boy Zdarsky is gonna be pretty smug when he and Fraction meet up for lunch next time.

Congratulations to Zdarsky! Spectacular #310 was really one of the absolute best issues of last year and he damn well deserves all the praise and attention. Go enjoy that hangover you absolute mad man!

Chip Zdarsky won today for Spectacular #310. First writer of 616 to win since JMS, first to write Spider-Man since Bendis, and first time a single issue won outright, rather than being nominated as in the case of Fraction.

Boy Zdarsky is gonna be pretty smug when he and Fraction meet up for lunch next time.
    Him and Fraction have three Eisners each now, so I think they'll be fine (Fraction for Invincible Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Sex Criminals and Zdarsky for Jughead, Spec. Spider-Man, and Sex Criminals)

Yeah!!!! That's awesome!! Congratulations to Zdarsky!

Astonishing Member

Thrilled by this. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #310 was beautiful. Congratulations, Chip!
    Last edited by Batman Begins 2005; 07-20-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Based on the nominees, Spider-Man pencillers and inkers and artists tend to get nominated more often than writers. They also favor writers from an indie background or who have chops with creator-owned work, like Bendis and Fraction both do, or JMS who was an established figure outside the genre as a TV producer and novelist.

Not that awards count or anything. I also wonder if Eisner is an industry or a fan award because I can sort of sense an Anti-OMD bias in the last
    Isn't Untold Tales in continuity?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Isn't Untold Tales in continuity?
    Oh...my bad, I made a mistake. Untold Tales is in continuity. I meant that it was a niche series separate from regular continuity and a nostalgia piece set in the L-D era.

Default Spider-Man and the Eisners

I was thinking about this question for Spider-Man in general as I was compiling lists: the Eisners and Spider-Man - what got snubbed?

To my knowledge, Spider-Man has only had two comic wins:
    PPSSM #310, "Finale" and ASM (vol 2) #36 "Untitled"

As for writers and artists, Brian Michael Bendis won two years in a row for Best Writer, including his work on USM, and Al Williamson won in 1997 for best Artist/Penciller/Inker.

Now I'm curious: with so few wins, what do you think deserved the Eisner? What didn't deserve it?

I actually had already made a thread talking about Spider-Man's history with Eisners here:
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ghlight=Eisner

This is the list of all the winners and nominees Spider-Man has gotten over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Winners:
    Spider-Man (1997) – Al Williamson, Best Inker
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man #17-18 (1997) – Al Williamson, Best Inker
    Amazing Spider-Man #30-35 (2002) – J. Michael Straczynski, John Romita Jr., Scott Hanna, Best Serialized Story
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2002) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2003) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man (2019) - Chip Zdarsky, Best Single Issue

Nominees:
    Amazing Spider-Man (1989) – Todd MacFarlane, Best Artist
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man (1997) – Kurt Busiek, Pat Ollife, Best Comics For Young Audience
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man (1997) – Kurt Busiek, Best Writer
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man Annual ’96 (1997) – Joe Sinnott, Best Inker
    Untold Tales Of Spider-Man (1997) – Tom Brevoort, Best Editor
    Essential Spider-Man Vol. 2 (1998) – Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Best Archival Collection
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2001) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2004) – Brian Michael Bendis, Best Writer
    Stan Lee Meets Spider-Man (2007) – Stan Lee, Oliver Copiel, Mark Morales, Best Short Story
    Sensational Spider-Man Annual (2008) – Matt Fraction, Salvador Larroca, Best Single Issue
    Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 (2008) – Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, Best Archival Collection
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (2012) – Brian Michael Bendis, Sara Pichelli, Best Continuing Series
    Ultimate Spider-Man #155 (2012) – Chris Samnee, Best Penciller/Inker
    Amazing Spider-Man (2012) – Marcos Martin, Best Cover Artist
    Superior Foes Of Spider-Man (2015) – Nick Spencer, Steve Lieber, Best Humour Publication
    Spider-Gwen (2018) – Clayton Cowles, Best Lettering
    As for what deserved to win, its hard to say just because I'd also have to compare what else came out during the years, but at least looking at what else has been nominated, I do think the Sensational Spider-Man Annual, Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (that's the Miles run), and Superior Foes Of Spider-Man definitively deserved to win for their categories.
    Last edited by Inversed; 11-13-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Oh sorry. I could've sworn there was another thread.