Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Retired

"Jane Patrol" could really mess you up, if you're not prepared for it.

Not talking about the content (so no spoilers), but this made think about CGI and other visuals that aren't too real. Like I've seen some people say the CGI isn't good enough in SHAZAM! I don't see it, but even if I did, I wouldn't count that as a fault. Because it's magic and for kids.

If things look too real, it's almost too much to handle. I didn't need to see the real thing in the Underground for "Jane Patrol"--having a metaphorical representation was enough. There are some things we're better off not seeing for real.

Makes me wonder if THE LION KING will be effective--because it looks too real. I think as kids we like 2D cartoons because they are not real--real world stuff can be very frightening for kids, so if they have some distance from that, by making it a cartoon, they can handle it better.

And in stories where it's magic or an illusion or happening in someone's mind, the visuals don't need to be realistic. People who want everything to look real are too focused on the craft and the technological challenge of creating such images. But not everything needs to look real and sometimes it's better for us mentally if they don't.

I really liked the episode.
    spoilers:
    Especially the part where Cliff gains passage to the Well.

I'm actually relieved because Kay's abuse was going to be a a delicate subject and with the way Doom Patrol doesn't really pull punches, it could've been too much.

I think the episode served mostly as a 'this is Jane' button. It established a lot of material so they won't have to explain it later and they got her past covered for now.
    And they've even pushed her along her own journey.
    end of spoilers
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

"SUCCESS PATROL"

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/parrot...-march-2-2019/

It's a huge hit!

Retired

Besides Crazy Jane, Rom-Com Karen and Driver 8, where there any other alters in the Underground that were played by Diane Guerrero? If not I have an in-story reason for why they have her face in the Underground. Karen and Jane were recently in the real world, so they still wear the faces of when they were outside. Driver 8 is always travelling between the two worlds, so even though she never actually comes out, she's always coming close to the surface.

Of course, the practical explanation is that it would take too long and be too costly to have Diane Guerrero play all the alters--it's also interesting to see what they look like in the Underground. I would have liked to see another actress playing Karen, but Cliff needs to be able to recognize her immediately as soon as he sees her. That also explains why Driver 8 had to be played by Diane, because he mistakes her for Jane. And obviously why Diane had to play Jane in the Underground, so Cliff would know it's her.

But I can imagine that if Jane, Karen or Driver 8 were stuck deep down in the Underground for a length of time, they would take on different faces.

Good point. Who knows, maybe Karen's non-Jane persona is a real blonde.

I really liked how this episode danced on the knife's edge with the way they never explicitly stated what was going on with her father, but still managed to make it abundantly clear. I also liked how Cliff was completely ineffectual and only managed to save Jane by means of being a punching bag for her hang-ups.
    Live true or lie well.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

I forgot to mention, seeing how Danny the Street communicates with people, reminds me of a PBS children's show called "Ghostwriter," but that's my small weird opinion and I.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Besides Crazy Jane, Rom-Com Karen and Driver 8, where there any other alters in the Underground that were played by Diane Guerrero? If not I have an in-story reason for why they have her face in the Underground. Karen and Jane were recently in the real world, so they still wear the faces of when they were outside. Driver 8 is always travelling between the two worlds, so even though she never actually comes out, she's always coming close to the surface.

Of course, the practical explanation is that it would take too long and be too costly to have Diane Guerrero play all the alters--it's also interesting to see what they look like in the Underground. I would have liked to see another actress playing Karen, but Cliff needs to be able to recognize her immediately as soon as he sees her. That also explains why Driver 8 had to be played by Diane, because he mistakes her for Jane. And obviously why Diane had to play Jane in the Underground, so Cliff would know it's her.

But I can imagine that if Jane, Karen or Driver 8 were stuck deep down in the Underground for a length of time, they would take on different faces.
    I agree with this.
    However, I think that I think it's possible to see it as a bit more of a psychological analogy.

My theory is that...
    Jane prob looks like Kay (we're not really sure), because she's become the primary persona.
    Driver8 looks like Jane (who possibly looks like Kay) because she's the link between Kay's consciousness and all the other personas, so Kay sees more of herself in Driver8.
    And Karen may still look like Jane (who possibly looks like Kay) because she was just recently a primary persona (pretty much like what you suggested), so Kay probably still sees part of herself in Karen.

It's possible that when the personalities lose her features and become more distinct, they feel more like outsiders to her and she loses connection to them.
    And when one 'takes over' (Kay subconsciously 'shutting down' and stepping away from the wheel), another persona takes over and Kay begins seeing herself in them, which makes them stronger and Kay less likely to push them out.

I also have a theory that Driver8 may be Kay's real persona, which has possibly resigned herself to actively not be in control by just driving the train.

Retired

Crazy Jane reminds me of the old joke about the woman who thought she was a chicken. When her psychiatrist says he can cure, her husband says they need the eggs.

If Jane (or Kay) was ever cured and resolved her psychological issues, would she lose all her powers?

Crazy Jane reminds me of the old joke about the woman who thought she was a chicken. When her psychiatrist says he can cure, her husband says they need the eggs.

If Jane (or Kay) was ever cured and resolved her psychological issues, would she lose all her powers?
    Good joke.

I think that's an interesting question.
    Her origin of power is a bit different compared to the comics, but it does appear that she was schizophrenic before the experiments.

Which, like the gene bomb, would likely have given her the powers regardless of number of personalities, because it was a physical alteration and either way Jane would have had the same body.
    So I suspect that Jane would have all the powers available to her. Or powers that some powers could be combined into.

Interestingly, some personas like Sun Daddy, are an interesting oddity, because the name suggests they're named after their appearance and/or powers, which wouldn't have manifested until after the experiment.

BANNED

Terrific and frightening episode. I loved it more than Therapy and Danny. My only disappointment is the oversaturation of flashbacks from previous episodes... I hate recycling emotional scenes from previous installments, taking them out of context.

Anyway... what happened to Miranda?

I would think it's more about having Guerrero play the personas that had the more important lines so that we, the audience still relates to them as the Jane we know. If Hammerhead had had a larger, meatier role (especially opposite Cliff instead of Jane) in this episode I'm sure Guerrero would have been playing her.

I've always loved the Doom Patrol, especially the Silver Age team, but I already pay a lot for cable TV, so I'm waiting for this show to get a Blu-ray release.

Quote Originally Posted by karatattoo View Post
    I've always loved the Doom Patrol, especially the Silver Age team, but I already pay a lot for cable TV, so I'm waiting for this show to get a Blu-ray release.
    I totally understand.
    The comics being on there is what convinced me to keep it.

Retired

Thinking about SWAMP THING having to cut down on episodes, with DOOM PATROL, even though I like each episode, if they had to cut down on the number, it really wouldn't hurt the series. It feels like they have a start and an end and in between they have done a bunch of episodes that can stand on their own.

I hope that they sell a DVD for the show. I would buy it to give them support for a second season.

Thinking about SWAMP THING having to cut down on episodes, with DOOM PATROL, even though I like each episode, if they had to cut down on the number, it really wouldn't hurt the series. It feels like they have a start and an end and in between they have done a bunch of episodes that can stand on their own.

I hope that they sell a DVD for the show. I would buy it to give them support for a second season.
    I want a season of 52 episodes!
    One for every week of the year!