Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    For the sake of the TITANS series, it would be nice if Steve and Rita had been parental figures to Gar Logan. But I'm not sure how that could work out with this continuity. Although, if anyone can manage that gymnastic feat, it's the creators on DOOM PATROL. I'm amazed at the way they've woven together so many disparate elements from the comics.
    I don't know how the Titans episode even factors in anymore. The show hasn't made any mention of Gar. The Titans episode introduced Fever and she hasn't been seen or heard from since.

I'll peg Cliff being Gar father figure judging from the Titans episode.

I kind of got an X-men vibe from this one; I kind of wish that lodestone and Celsius were younger, so they could team up with the current doom patrol, but I guess they wouldn’t fit in. Still not sure if the chief is a bastard or what, but it seems like right now,he’s doing the best he can for the doom patrollers. Makes me wonder how well off he is, if he’s maintaining two separate residences for the heroes, plus their care. I’m glad to see that Rita is moving past her pity party, and i’m Guessing Larry and his other were involved in some sort of government operation that went badly. And Jane is starting to have doubts In The chief, and her relationship with her other selves. I still don’t understand the need to pepper virtually every conversation with swear words.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I kind of got an X-men vibe from this one; I kind of wish that lodestone and Celsius were younger, so they could team up with the current doom patrol, but I guess they wouldn’t fit in. Still not sure if the chief is a bastard or what, but it seems like right now,he’s doing the best he can for the doom patrollers. Makes me wonder how well off he is, if he’s maintaining two separate residences for the heroes, plus their care. I’m glad to see that Rita is moving past her pity party, and i’m Guessing Larry and his other were involved in some sort of government operation that went badly. And Jane is starting to have doubts In The chief, and her relationship with her other selves. I still don’t understand the need to pepper virtually every conversation with swear words.
    You can think of the Chief as a bastard as he planned to sent Jane to the Doom Patrol residence. Sending her to live in a dilapidated mansion filled with people he gave up on isn't a good feeling.

You get the feeling that Larry somehow been involved with NOWHERE?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    You can think of the Chief as a bastard as he planned to sent Jane to the Doom Patrol residence. Sending her to live in a dilapidated mansion filled with people he gave up on isn't a good feeling.

You get the feeling that Larry somehow been involved with NOWHERE?
    No, because i’m not that familiar with doom patrol history.

Retired

I understood from the first second, that the super-heroic Doom Patrol was an obvious X-Men parody. The fact that it's actually Steve Dayton's fantasy is the icing on the cake. This show is self-aware.

The Chief is a complicated character. Just like everyone else on the show. We're not supposed to think they're morally superior. But neither are they all bad. I'm sure the Chief believes everything he does is justified--just like Silas Stone. Even Mr. Nobody, while he's evil, manages to do a lot of good.

Crazy Jane almost started to lose it, when she was confronted with nightmare visions of her past trauma, so it's possible she's cracked before. Sending her to Joshua Clay might have been a kindness. Although, the run-down look of the place seems to indicate the Chief isn't putting much money into its upkeep.

The first time Cliff meets Jane, she's been away--so she must go on walkabouts sometimes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man scene was a riot.
    That had me dead; when I saw him wearing a stocking cap and the dinosaur, I thought to myself “of course.” haha

And damn that episode was heavy. ****; Mr. Noby showing them what the outcome is when fighting him. He's telling them that he's no joke; he'll **** them up.

Incredible Member

‘Doom Patrol Patrol’ was my favorite episode thus far! Enjoyed the tying in of the second DP era to the series. I feel like the writers are totally finding their comfort zone on the show.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    That had me dead; when I saw him wearing a stocking cap and the dinosaur, I thought to myself “of course.” haha

And damn that episode was heavy. ****; Mr. Noby showing them what the outcome is when fighting him. He's telling them that he's no joke; he'll **** them up.

I just don't understand:

1- When did Steve (the tourist) enter in the chamber anyway? Wasn't the chamber destroyed by Crazy Jane minutes before?

2- The CGI of the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man was good. It seemed to me his skin/body was constantly changing in a matter of seconds?

3- Did the AVM Man tear the door apart? Was it (the door) supposed to be sealed? It seemed to me the door was paper thin when he broke that up?

Another good episode. I might as well not even post in here until there is a bad episode. lol

Retired

I beg people to post about the goods things. It's so depressing when I go on threads and it's nothing but others listing their complaints and never saying anything good about a show. I like to know that other people are enjoying something as much as I am.

BANNED

Hey guys, about Episode 5, "Paw Patrol", more specifically the time travel thing:

spoilers:
    It's a fixed timeline like "Terminator 1". They showed Beverly (the leader of the Decreator cult) some time before Chief and Mr. Nobody would devise the plan involving time travel. So it's a fixed timeline and Nobody always interacted with Jane's past. Wow, brilliant.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 03-24-2019 at 04:16 PM.

It was probably my favorite episode so far, too.

spoilers:
    Loved the appearances by Steve, Arani, Joshua and Rhea.
    It's nice to see Joshua being put to use, even if he's still not interested in being a hero.

I think this episode was setting up a lot more than just the next stage of Nobody's story.

The name-dropping of the Brain will probably lead to something soon.

Rhea didn't do all that much, except to make an appearance. And her role in the story could've easily been filled by a few other old DP members... So I have a nagging suspicion that she was introduced as a setup for an upcoming Red Jack story. I don't think he'd care how old she is, and she'd probably get changed anyway.

And... Nobody likely wasn't the first villain they faced. I'm expecting at least one more 'villain from the past Doom Patrol' to return and give a reason to revisit the team in the '50s, via flashback. Maybe the Brain, maybe Gargaux...

Silas confirmed my theories about him.
    In the donkey episode, when Vic was recalling the accident he gave a short speech to Nobody as he regained his strength. Later, Silas said the same thing to Vic, word-for-word, which led me to believe that what he said to Nobody was programmed into him by his dad.
    I believe his memory of the accident is fabricated, and another programming of Silas, who is most likely the real cause of the accident that killed Vic's mom.

Rita's backstory has been done so well in the show. She's really showing character progression.

I also liked the nod to Arani's comic history of being married to the Chief and no one knowing. I think they handled it perfectly in the show.

With Nobody here already, and the Brain out there somewhere... I'm wondering which version of the Brotherhood we'll end up getting.
    While Phobia, Warp, Plasmus and Houngan were more involved with the team during the Titans days, I still think I'd like to see them brought into the DP mythos alongside the original Brotherhood of Evil and later Dada.
    And Madame Rouge seems like a logical choice to expand on Niles' past.
    end of spoilers
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

I'm planning to create a Doom Patrol TV series website.

Mighty Member

I really felt for the og DP and that scene with the cops turning into pinatas was crazy.
    Last edited by Beantownbrown; 03-25-2019 at 10:47 PM.

This show just gets better with each episode.
    -- Firstly, Jane's "Siri..." joke made me LOL. (one of many funny jokes here)
    -- Rita's backstory was the least impressive to me at the beginning, but with what we've seen since then in the present and the past is really making her into a great character.
    -- In terms of a similar slow-burn, fans of the comic know where they're going with Jane's origin reveal, and it will be much more impactful seeing it after we get to know her instead of it being part of her introduction.
    -- Great idea for the original Doom Patrol. It's too bad Rhea didn't get a story in there, but this episode was already jam-packed.
    -- Heartbreaking realization that Jane wasn't being groomed to be a hero, but was seen as a potential inmate.
    -- I hope Monsiuer Mallah and the Brain are the Big Bad for season two, now that they've been referenced.
    -- At least some peoplein this show ages! Aside from wondering how the Chief doesn't age, how is it the DP have never wondered? (unless they already know)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 03-25-2019 at 09:11 PM.