Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I just finished the first 1/2 of DP S4 and the show continues to excel at the extreme and absurd.
    It feels like Personal Loss is the underlying theme with the characters.
    Rita - lack of purpose after assuming the role of Leader no one wanted only to have it taken away and given to her worst candidate in Rouge.
    Cyborg - did the tech make him who he was OR is who he was still there? His MS/HS friends seem to think he's grown distant and unrelatable.
    Cliff - loss of his daughter and grandson whom he now sees a chance to experience new feelings(with his hand and touch) but can't get to them.
    Larry - what is going on with his other half, does it want him anymore?
    Jane - almost reverse here, does the Underground want her back. They seem fine without her and that seems to make her feel more isolated than at times she couldn't access the Underground.
    Dorothy - thought they had forgotten her entirely since she didn't appear till like episode 4/5. The loss of Niles still hits hard for her and now her necklace that connects all this.
    Danny the Streets continues to try and grow back but still feels the need to be cautious and self isolate it seems?

When does the remainder of the season drop? Anyone got an inside line, my google-fu gives me nothing solid.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Mighty Member

I’m very sad to see the show go but I’m glad that it didn’t get a surprise cancellation. They got to finish out the season.

October 12 the finale begins.

It's been a fun ride but we've known it was DOOMED for awhile.
    Final episodes will be how many?
    S1=15 episodes
    S2=9 episodes
    S3=10 episodes
    S4=6 eps to date

Will we be getting 3/4/5/6 episodes I wonder????

That musical episode was a lot of fun. I enjoyed everyone getting their own song/duet, but even better was how crude it was with the sex ghosts and Cliff...ah...enjoying his flesh and blood body. It was good to see human Cliff, but I would have liked to see more unwrapped Larry.

The sung intro and end credits theme were a treat as well.

Also, Immortus taking the form of Isabelle is somehow more frightening than I expected. Makes for a good opponent against Rita.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    That musical episode was a lot of fun. I enjoyed everyone getting their own song/duet, but even better was how crude it was with the sex ghosts and Cliff...ah...enjoying his flesh and blood body. It was good to see human Cliff, but I would have liked to see more unwrapped Larry.
    During Cliff's ... alone time scene, I just kept thinking, "That's an Academy Award winner..."

I also kept thinking it must've been really hot having to dance around in those sweaters and if the wardrobe department made sure to construct them from lighter materials.

And I also noted the lack of Matt Bomer - I wonder if it was a scheduling thing, especially since he seemed absent from group scenes that took place in the main part of the mansion.

So far, the last half of the season has been fun and I'm enjoying this take on Immortus, even though they could have just named her anything else.

Those are some angry butts!

Really good bits between Rita and Larry. I always like them acknowledging how long they've known each other.

Vic is back as Cyborg! That's a nice way to tie up his story. I've always kind of felt this series would end with the Doom Patrol dying, especially since most of them did possess longevity, but I think Cyborg may have to live to go on and join the Justice League.

I was getting kind of worried about Rouge's loyalties for a second there.

And it ends with a character serving finale as we say goodbye to one of the best comic book shows on air.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm glad they took the time to say goodbye rather than have the finale be mostly action then 15 minutes to wrap it up. It was mostly satisfying emotionally even if it wasn't the most creative. I don't get where the Space Case/ Jane relationship came from other than the writers deciding Jane/Kay needed a love interest to have a happy ending.(they did it for 3 of the members, so...)

Mighty Member

The seams in the final season were starting to show, like the filming challenges, the lower budget, and some unexplained absences (where was Dorothy in the final episode?). Still, it managed to land a strong and satisfying finale. I was already getting used to Rita's end and the rest of the gang splitting off, but Cliff's send off legit broke me. I'll miss this show, but I think it lasted the right amount. Especially after a couple of streaming service switches.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It was mostly satisfying emotionally even if it wasn't the most creative. I don't get where the Space Case/ Jane relationship came from other than the writers deciding Jane/Kay needed a love interest to have a happy ending.(they did it for 3 of the members, so...)
    Yeah, that felt very weak too. Honestly, Casey needed an entire season-long story arc to do justice. She felt very tacked-on here.

And whatever you do, don't look up what the comics did with her cat.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I was totally surprised at the fate of 2 characters after the search for their Longevity.
    Kept waiting for some nod to Titans for Vic but didn't get that.

It was a fun show and as zany a show in any genre that I've committed to in some time. I'm probably in the minority but the Longevity being something to be stolen and reclaimed was not a strong arc. The character interactions during the arc were better than the McGuffin and that helped me.

Glad for the appearance of Chief before the whole thing ended. Dalton was my first Bond, not favorite but first so I always have a fondness for him.

Agreed about Jane/Kay and Casey. I think her accepting that she's Kay was a happy enough ending for her. Larry and Vic got good endings too, but not as powerful as Rita's and Cliff's.

I think ultimately, Rita had the best journey throughout the course of the show. She was the least heroic in the first season (or at least the most passive character and removed from the action), which was mostly about her acknowledging what kind of person she was before her accident until then accepting her powers and learning them. Then she became team leader. Being the oldest, it made the most sense for her to be the one to age and die (and become a ghost watching her friends give her a funeral, that was funny). And Cliff...man, that was intense and beautiful.

Then there was Rouge. I liked her conversation with Vic. Rouge didn't become a bad guy, but she's definitely on a different path than Vic. Only real disappointment was how Immortus was wrapped up. Not only was the climax underwhelming, but his/her story didn't feel like it had an actual ending.

Mighty Member

Only real disappointment was how Immortus was wrapped up. Not only was the climax underwhelming, but his/her story didn't feel like it had an actual ending.
    Agreed with the first part, but I thought Immortus was "defeated" by introducing her to the butts's musical talents and having her drop villainy to pursue a musical career in the far future instead. Although I was expecting a closed time loop ending to explain how Niles got ahold of the longevity from her in the first place.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Only real disappointment was how Immortus was wrapped up. Not only was the climax underwhelming, but his/her story didn't feel like it had an actual ending.
    Agreed. I was all in on this new take, but the resolution was less than satisfying. By the end it made her character seem more like a plot device to move the characters where the writers wanted them to go. She was also more like a 5th Dimensional imp than Immortus the supervillain. But I can forgive it since the focus on the DP had great payoffs, and the series has been more about their emotional journeys anyway.

I want a Niles Caulder / Dr. Fate teamup. Please forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I'm only through the first season so far and really want to avoid spoilers.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?