Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    When she acquired her powers and her aging stopped, she wasn't a girl anymore, she was 38/39. So I guess it's correct to call her "Elasti-Woman".
    Not to mention, in the '60s it was more socially acceptable for a woman to be called 'girl' as it wasn't seen as some sort of condescending term.
    It was just 'hip' and it helped sell the comics to the audience of the '60s, which was predominantly kids and teens.
    And calling her a 'woman' would likely remove her from being relatable to those younger readers. They'd probably view her as a mom or a teacher instead of someone on their level.

Although, today, 'Woman' would be the better sale, as the readers of today are older.
    See also Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman and Invisible Girl/Invisible Woman.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Not to mention, in the '60s it was more socially acceptable for a woman to be called 'girl' as it wasn't seen as some sort of condescending term.
    It was just 'hip' and it helped sell the comics to the audience of the '60s, which was predominantly kids and teens.
    And calling her a 'woman' would likely remove her from being relatable to those younger readers. They'd probably view her as a mom or a teacher instead of someone on their level.

Although, today, 'Woman' would be the better sale, as the readers of today are older.
    Yes, true.

I'm wondering when Rita and Larry will start to use their codenames. Or even get them mentioned.

Although I think more people think "Hawkgirl" then they think "Hawkwoman," compared to the Invisible Woman/girl thing, if only thanks to the DCAU using the former.

It also probably helps that DC has some pretty famous "girl" characters.

Retired

But I was talking about trademark. I think the reason there's still a Supergirl and a Power Girl is that DC doesn't want to lose those trademarks through inattention. Even if they invent a new codename--such as Nightwing--they don't want to lose the old one--such as Robin. So it's important to have a character that keeps using that name so another company doesn't come along and pick it up.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Question: Is Karen one of Crazy Jane's personalities from the comic book or created for the show? I know she has 64, and it's hard keeping track of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegant Dreamer View Post
    Question: Is Karen one of Crazy Jane's personalities from the comic book or created for the show? I know she has 64, and it's hard keeping track of all of them.
    Some resources for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Jane
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/crazy-jane/4005-27304/
    https://screenrant.com/doom-patrol-c...y-personality/

As far as I can tell, Karen appears to be new.
    And Diane Guerrero looks great as a blonde, btw.

BANNED

About "Jane" and "Baby Doll", as well as the "Unsecure Girl" who showed up in "Cult Patrol" --- all 3 have no powers, right? So there are unpowered personalities among the 64.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    About "Jane" and "Baby Doll", as well as the "Unsecure Girl" who showed up in "Cult Patrol" --- all 3 have no powers, right? So there are unpowered personalities among the 64.
    On paper(assuming things have carried over from the comics), each of the sixty-four personalities should have a power set.

That said, at least a few of them that i remember are characters where you would never know.

Don't know if they ever really narrowed down if the seemingly powerless personalities actually had a power(or powers).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On paper(assuming things have carried over from the comics), each of the sixty-four personalities should have a power set.

That said, at least a few of them that i remember are characters where you would never know.

Don't know if they ever really narrowed down if the seemingly powerless personalities actually had a power(or powers).

Jane is the dominant personality.

Who knows, maybe their powers are useless?

Yeah, theoretically, all 64 personalities should have a power because the gene bomb that gave Jane powers did so on a physical level and all the personalities share the same body.

And if you imagine 64 different people given random powers, there's bound to be a few clunkers or ones not so noticeable.

BANNED

Whoa just watched Episode 8 in awe. So great!
    We've been discovering more about Negative Man's past and powers. That's kinda great. I hope to see the Negative Spirit in action soon, even.

Oh well, it's me or Maura Lee Karupt resembles the live action version of Starfire? LOL
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 04-09-2019 at 03:14 PM.

I don't agree with you. She looks much, much better with dark hair in my opinion.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

Some resources for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Jane
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/crazy-jane/4005-27304/
    https://screenrant.com/doom-patrol-c...y-personality/

As far as I can tell, Karen appears to be new.
    Thank very much for taking your time answering and the links! I really appreciate it!

BANNED

So about Negative Man's powers:

It seems like he's indestructible like David Dunn or Luke Cage, and has superhuman resistance to higher and extreme temperatures. Electricity also makes him suffer, but not die like anyone else.
    I think his "deformed" aspect is not burning-out, but the effect of the radioactivity that he absorbed.
    That would explain how he survived the rocket crash and why you can see - in the origin flashback - the flames barely "scorching" him.