Thread: Thanksgiving

Default Thanksgiving

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Definitely interested. I was one of those very people who very seriously suggested (after Grindhouse) that they actually make this film. But, but this trailer suggests a slicker more modern affair or telling, so obviously I'm concerned about whether all the grindhouse will be betrayed or dialed back. I want grimy cheap early 80s and I'm not sure that's this film. Feels like some big studio exec somewhere decided that the Grindhouse trailer couldn't make it "as is" just as a feature film, wouldn't be marketable enough, but I have no idea and Roth could have wanted it done this way. I hope I don't end up concluding a truly unmarketable direct-to-dvd cheap-but-trailer-accurate feature might have been the best route.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 09-07-2023 at 12:51 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Definitely interested. I was one of those very people who very seriously suggested (after Grindhouse) that they actually make this film. But, but this trailer suggests a slicker more modern affair or telling, so obviously I'm concerned about whether all the grindhouse will be betrayed or dialed back. I want grimy cheap early 80s and I'm not sure that's this film. Feels like some big studio exec somewhere decided that the Grindhouse trailer couldn't make it "as is" just as a feature film, wouldn't be marketable enough, but I have no idea and Roth could have wanted it done this way. I hope I don't end up concluding a truly unmarketable direct-to-dvd cheap-but-trailer-accurate feature might have been the best route.
    I mostly agree. I remember hearing about a full length film like 10 yrs ago and just assumed that it died in development. I wonder if what finally got it into production was someone saying, "No, don't do an homage to old slasher flix, just do a regular contemporary horror movie."

The movie finally drops this week, after all this time! Anyone else excited?

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    The movie finally drops this week, after all this time! Anyone else excited?
    Yes, I am!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I get that they're trying to stay within the genre of "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" by just using the name of the holiday, but those days have an inherent scary quality. Thanksgiving does not. I'd prefer a more clever name, but I don't really watch horror movies anyway, so I guess it's not for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I get that they're trying to stay within the genre of "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" by just using the name of the holiday, but those days have an inherent scary quality. Thanksgiving does not. I'd prefer a more clever name, but I don't really watch horror movies anyway, so I guess it's not for me anyway.
    Some other names could be: "The Turkey Terrible", "Turkey-Time", "Don't Eat the Turkey!", "The Turkey's Gonna Get You", "Turkey Carver".
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Eli Roth had already made a grainy Thanksgiving short trailer within Tarantino's Grindhouse, so we've come full circle. I'll watch it.

Do you have in-laws?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Retired

Obviously it should have been set in Canada, then it could have come out in early October, in time for spooky month.

"HE'S COMING TO CANADIAN THANKSGIVING! AND YOU'LL BE SORRY!"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Do you have in-laws?
    They were always super nice to me....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Obviously it should have been set in Canada, then it could have come out in early October, in time for spooky month.

"HE'S COMING TO CANADIAN THANKSGIVING! AND YOU'LL BE SORRY!"
    In my mind, I heard that as "Saw-ry." Somehow that makes it less scary.

Mighty Member

Default Howabout : Thanksgiving 2: the leftovers?

spoilers:
    Would love a sequel where the badly burnt bad guy comes back (a la Cropsey from The Burning) for revenge. He could make sandwiches and pot pies out of the final girl, the dad, Scuba etc.
    end of spoilers

Your thoughts and ideas on this?
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 11-22-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Would the sequel actually be "Black Friday?"

Mighty Member

and YES there *will* be a sequel in 2025. Would love to see them finally use Michael Biehn and maybe make leftovers of the surviving characters. The killer could store pieces of them in the freezer for later on..