Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I have a question that isn't really a spoiler. I've watched three different reviews for this week on youtube and in each one they pronounce Monsieur Mallah in a way that doesn't sound at all like how I pronounce it. And I speak French. But I when I hear comic book authorities using a different pronunciation from mine, I tend to think that I must've just said it wrong all these years, since they know what they're talking about and they've discussed comic books with other people. Yet Monsieur Mallah understands French, so wouldn't he pronounce "Monsieur" like French speakers do?
    I think it's a mass misunderstanding of how to pronounce 'Monsieur'.
    I grew up saying 'Mon-shzure', but that was my using English to say it and not having anyone around that said the word regularly.

Unfortunately, when they did the original Who's Who series and they'd have a section on the inside front cover to display how to pronounce names, they didn't do it for Mallah.

Later in life, I'd hear French characters in tv shows say 'Miss-yer' or 'Miss-yuh' and I just assumed it was another word that was similar to Monsieur.

BTW... I saw something when looking this up...

What do Madame Rouge, Silver Sorceress and Crimson Fox have in common?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

In Canada, we hear French all the time--and see it written everywhere. Most of us have to take at least a year of French in school. And even if we don't really learn much, simple things like Monsieur are just something we know. It's a form of address, so like Señor and Herr it's something that people use in movies and TV shows if not in real life. But even Professor Bill from Comic Book University pronounced it Mon Sewer when he reviewed the episode--and he's in Canada (although he's from the United States).

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

What do Madame Rouge, Silver Sorceress and Crimson Fox have in common?
    That's a puzzler. Obviously all have colour names, but beyond that I don't know. Two come from France but one doesn't. Two have reddish names but one doesn't. They all don't really wear the colour they're named for. They were each created in different decades ('60s, '70s, '80s respectively) by different creators.

I can't wait until Madame Rouge appears on DOOM PATROL. The internet will be alive with misspellings of her name. Other than typos, I don't know why so many people write Rogue when they mean Rouge and Rouge when they mean Rogue. But maybe some people think her name really is Madame Rogue--and how do they pronounce that? It will get interesting, if that happens.

That's a puzzler. Obviously all have colour names, but beyond that I don't know. Two come from France but one doesn't. Two have reddish names but one doesn't. They all don't really wear the colour they're named for. They were each created in different decades ('60s, '70s, '80s respectively) by different creators.

I can't wait until Madame Rouge appears on DOOM PATROL. The internet will be alive with misspellings of her name. Other than typos, I don't know why so many people write Rogue when they mean Rouge and Rouge when they mean Rogue. But maybe some people think her name really is Madame Rogue--and how do they pronounce that? It will get interesting, if that happens.
    Madame Rouge (red) wears blue.
    Silver Sorceress (silver) wears brown and gold.
    Crimson Fox (red) wears brown.

They all have color names but don't wear the color.

Silver Sorceress at least had white hair. But she always kept it hidden.

So you got it!
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Since the last episode is titled "Ezekiel Patrol", I'm wondering...

spoilers:
    What about the drawning that the Hangman's Daughter did? Will Cyborg decimate the Doom Patrol as big cliffhanger of Season 1?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 05-19-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Flex scene left me dying. It made my sides hurt.

BANNED

Is Flex a full member of the DP now?

BANNED

Jesus Christ............ the ending of the episode 14................ OHHHHHHHHH I wasn't seeing that coming at all. I didn't believe they would ever go that path. Jesus Christ!

Retired

I wonder how Chief was involved with Cyborg's origin story (beyond what we've already been told). This is something not from the comics, whereas we've had Chief's role in the lives of the other Doom Patrolers (from the very first story, in fact) but Vic and Niles have never been tied together before in the comics (unless there's a run I missed where that did happen).

BANNED

I wonder how Chief was involved with Cyborg's origin story (beyond what we've already been told). This is something not from the comics, whereas we've had Chief's role in the lives of the other Doom Patrolers (from the very first story, in fact) but Vic and Niles have never been tied together before in the comics (unless there's a run I missed where that did happen).
    Vic noticed anomalies with the explosion, when rewatching the video.

I STILL don't understand how Caulder managed to "fabricate" the incidents which gave Larry and Rita their powers, it seems almost impossible to me.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Vic noticed anomalies with the explosion, when rewatching the video.

I STILL don't understand how Caulder managed to "fabricate" the incidents which gave Larry and Rita their powers, it seems almost impossible to me.
    Rita doesn't seem like a stretch to me. He could have influence where the movie was being shot and scene where she fell into the water.

Retired

I can envision how Chief could have been involved with all of them. But this would mean that he has access to a lot more gimmicks than we've seen. Maybe, like with Willoughby Kipling, he stole the things that made these "acccidents" happen. And if he could have made a much better robot body for Cliff--maybe even saved more of his original body than just his brain, like with Vic--did he deliberately choose not to, in order to make Cliff's suffering worse?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Rita doesn't seem like a stretch to me. He could have influence where the movie was being shot and scene where she fell into the water.
    But how did he know that the subacquean rocks under the bridge were storing a mysterious, ancient glowing bio-toxin and how did he know the effect of that toxin on human body?
    I don't see how he could have put that toxin in the rocks by himself... even.

Larry's case seems even more complicated. How did he know there was a radioactive storm on there? As well as knowing the effect the radioactive storm would have on human body. Given the fact the storm opened a portal to the Negative Space...
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 05-21-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Retired

He might not have known the outcomes. It could have been that he was just experimenting to see what would happen and using live humans as his guinea pigs. What happens if a human is exposed to this toxin, what happens if they go into this radioactive storm. And then he wanted to have them at Doom Manor so he could study them and record his findings.

BANNED

He might not have known the outcomes. It could have been that he was just experimenting to see what would happen and using live humans as his guinea pigs. What happens if a human is exposed to this toxin, what happens if they go into this radioactive storm. And then he wanted to have them at Doom Manor so he could study them and record his findings.
    Yeah, yeah. But does this kinda "soften" his responsability? It's not like he put them in those situations??? He just knew about the causes, not the effects.

Could you please describe me how he "orchestrated" the incidents in the comics?