Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    That was smart 2 out of 3 of your biggest actors are voice work only outside of a couple small scenes.

Love BRENDAN Frazier but boy he looks awful. The robot look is an improvement
    At 50 years old, Brendan looks as good as most men at that age. Maybe not movie star good--but he's gone through a lot of crap and suffered for it, and certainly doesn't have the funds to pay for personal trainers, plastic surgery, good hair transplants and trips to fat farms. Besides, Cliff looking like a mess is part of his character arc--and they probably made Brendan look a little worse off to play that up. He doesn't get a lot of scenes in the flesh, but the ones he does get are gold. And his voice acting makes this show the great work that it is.

Matt Bomer gets a lot of scenes as himself. As we saw in the latest episode. And I think the burned up Larry, without the bandages is also Bomer not his double. The acting that both doubles do is more than just stunt work--it's real acting (just without words)--so I'm not sure what we should call them.

"Danny Patrol" was a beautiful episode. I was just so happy with it. One quibble is that after some creative ways of showing Danny's messages, they fell back on conventional devices to do that. Maybe for budgetary reasons. I like it when the words show up in unexpected places.

Thematically speaking, I liked the parallel tales - where one group of people are fighting to maintain their independence from "normalcy," Jane (or Karen) is fighting tooth and nail to impose the most "normal" traditional life onto herself and others as way to retreat from the "non-normalcy" of her life. (which of course came across as the most "non-normal" thing to do...)

Also, *loved* Robotboy! Cliff has a sidekick!

Retired

Cliff has seen FLASHDANCE more times than me! I thought about how that could happen and I came to the conclusion that Niles has a very limited number of videos at Doom Manor. So they just watch the same movies over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Yay - Danny the Street! I really thought it'd take until season 2 to get to him, but I should have known considering how much this show really goes for it. I want that Larry Karaoke song on my playlist - is that even a really song? I don't know it. ... "we're all misfits livin' in a world on fire..." So sad when it jumped back to Larry being sad again in the audience.... Poor guy. I have to wonder what the Bureau had him do before he managed to make it to the Manor.

As much as Vic's heroism might actually be part of his programming, he still comes across as genuinely sympathetic to the Dannyzens and seems a genuinely earnest person rather than someone who just "wants to be a hero."

The Karen stuff was just ... disturbing.
    I suspect we probably won't see Danny again until next season.
    It was nice to see him, though.
    And maybe when he returns he'll have Flex with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Cliff has seen FLASHDANCE more times than me! I thought about how that could happen and I came to the conclusion that Niles has a very limited number of videos at Doom Manor. So they just watch the same movies over and over.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Karen has a secret stash of all the John Hughes films.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I didn't know what Danny the Street was before seeing this episode but I want to see more of it.

BANNED

I've not watched Episode 8 yet but... I hope the team will leave Doom Manor for more exotic adventures.

Retired

I read "I Made a Deal with Doom," from MY GREATEST ADVENTURE 51, but I can't figure out any connection it would have with what's happening on DOOM PATROL. It might just be they chose if for the title and nothing else.

I read "I Made a Deal with Doom," from MY GREATEST ADVENTURE 51, but I can't figure out any connection it would have with what's happening on DOOM PATROL. It might just be they chose if for the title and nothing else.
    That's my guess.
    Danny might have made a deal with Niles and the original Doom Patrol.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I want that Larry Karaoke song on my playlist - is that even a really song? I don't know it. ... "we're all misfits livin' in a world on fire..." So sad when it jumped back to Larry being sad again in the audience....
    I answered my own question -- it's Kelly Clarkson's "People Like Us." I prefer this version.

BANNED

Two questions about Rita:

1- Is she supposed to be Elasti-Girl or Elasti-Woman? The actress is 39 years old, and Rita's aging stopped in 1955. I thought she was supposed to be "Elasti-Woman", frankly.

2- At the beginning of "Doom Patrol Patrol", during the 1956 flashback, did the producer say to Rita that she has been in Hollywood's "black list" since 1946, ten years before?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Two questions about Rita:

1- Is she supposed to be Elasti-Girl or Elasti-Woman? The actress is 39 years old, and Rita's aging stopped in 1955. I thought she was supposed to be "Elasti-Woman", frankly.

2- At the beginning of "Doom Patrol Patrol", during the 1956 flashback, did the producer say to Rita that she has been in Hollywood's "black list" since 1946, ten years before?
    1. Elasti-Woman is used in the promotional material.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    1. Elasti-Woman is used in the promotional material.
    That's good and it makes sense.

Retired

I want her to be Elasti-Girl just because she should stand up to those Incredibles and not let them steal everything from the established super-heroes. But that's probably why she's Elasti-Woman in the advertising--because the Elasti-Girl name was stolen.

BANNED

I want her to be Elasti-Girl just because she should stand up to those Incredibles and not let them steal everything from the established super-heroes. But that's probably why she's Elasti-Woman in the advertising--because the Elasti-Girl name was stolen.
    When she acquired her powers and her aging stopped, she wasn't a girl anymore, she was 38/39. So I guess it's correct to call her "Elasti-Woman".