Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Nnam

The poster looks good.

Darn, well I now have slight concerns, but assuming 13 was the last episode of the season that is impressive. My issues were that I feel like we got so far with Rita and Larry in terms of growth but the but they both kind of regressed in different ways in "Flex Patrol". For Rita I don't feel we needed another moment for her to reflect on her past vanities; especially the execution, it just felt like the old timer was glaringly used as just a bin dump in a backstory--just a prop.

As for Larry, he comes off unlikable when you find out he could have helped Flex all this time, but chose not too. He had a good reason to an extent, but it's like it put us almost back at square one when it came to the internal fear and external moaning and complaining. Jane takes the top spot for steadier growth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    Darn, well I now have slight concerns, but assuming 13 was the last episode of the season that is impressive.
    Thank God, it's not.

Retired

That old timer was goddamn Ed Asner! A giant among actors. He was in fact a young actor in the time period that Rita was talking about. He might not have had much to do except listen to her monologue, but for actors having a great actor to work with in a scene, who can give them that support, improves their own performance. I'm sure April Bowlby was beside herself with glee at being able to work with such a professional as Asner and it certainly showed in her delivery of that scene. She was amazing. And it says something about the people working on DOOM PATROL that they were able to get Ed Asner as a day player. He doesn't need the work. The info about Rita was hinted at in previous episodes but this was the first time we got the full story revealed. I was impressed that they decided to do it all in a monologue--and not as a flashback--but having April Bowlby do it this way was much more effective, I thought.

BANNED

Oh Jesus... Episode 13 was 100% fantastic. This is just the best Superhero TV show in history. Terrific character development, genius screenplays and wonderful special effects.

Whoa, the meta-ending with Mr. Nobody is actually a bit creepy, I must say. I love it.

Just one question... is it me or Flex, during the 1964 flashback, reveals that the Negative Spirit comes from another dimension?

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Thank God, it's not.
    Mm ok, Alan Tudyk's eccentric meta ending gave me that impression. Then I realized they wouldn't end without a big hoorah for Chief.

Retired

Man, this series is about as good as it gets for any "TV" series. There was one scene this episode that had me laughing so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Man, this series is about as good as it gets for any "TV" series. There was one scene this episode that had me laughing so hard.
    What scene? Nothing this episode stood out as particularly comedic
    On an unrelated note I seem to have blacked out sometime between the Doom Patrol arriving at Dany street and them being sent to the white zone. And every time I try to rewatch I mentally blackout again, can anyone fill me in on what happened?

Retired

I have to be cryptic because "Penultimate Patrol" just debuted and I imagine a lot of people haven't seen it yet. So I can't *gush* about the scene that had me in stitches.

Mighty Member

YO, that ending. Damn

BANNED

I have to be cryptic because "Penultimate Patrol" just debuted and I imagine a lot of people haven't seen it yet. So I can't *gush* about the scene that had me in stitches.
    Unfortunately, I will be able to see the episode on 21th May. Damn! Can't wait.

BANNED

Please, tell me Episode 14 does not show flashbacks of their secret origins that we already watched in the first two episodes...

Retired

Okay, I won't tell you that.

BANNED

Okay, I won't tell you that.
    No, do it! Did they rehash the flashbacks about the incidents? Hopefully not and we can see more new stuff about their former lives...

Retired

I have a question that isn't really a spoiler. I've watched three different reviews for this week on youtube and in each one they pronounce Monsieur Mallah in a way that doesn't sound at all like how I pronounce it. And I speak French. But I when I hear comic book authorities using a different pronunciation from mine, I tend to think that I must've just said it wrong all these years, since they know what they're talking about and they've discussed comic books with other people. Yet Monsieur Mallah understands French, so wouldn't he pronounce "Monsieur" like French speakers do?