Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 304

Thread: Doom Patrol

  1. #16
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    The cast as two poc.
    Crazy jane is the other one and she is latino.
    TWO?! How dare they!

  2. #17
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Why? Because the cast needed a minority character. Simple as that, and to hell with anything even remotely resembling continuity from the original comics.
    They could have used Tempest or Celsius or someone else for that. I think Cyborg eventually ends up in Titans somehow.

    Crazy Jane is one of my faves so I'm glad she's included, but doesn't seem as crazy as in the comic books so far...

  3. #18
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    8,668

    Default

    The reason Cyborg is on this team is for name recognition and to tie into the Titans later.

    The first part I get ... but isn't Beast Boy the normal tie to Doom Patrol for the Teen Titans?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  4. #19
    Mighty Member Darkseid Is's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Why? Because the cast needed a minority character. Simple as that, and to hell with anything even remotely resembling continuity from the original comics.
    That's fine but what about Tempest? Honestly I don't know much about the character I only ever read Morrison's run and I remember him being a part of the team before Morrison jumped on.

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    No argument there. My argument was with the poster that was upset there was a POC in the show. #comicsgatelives

    It's as strange to have Cyborg on the Justice League as on the Doom Patrol when he was a [New] Teen Titan right up to New 52, but it would be appalling if all our comic book adaptations were as white as the comics have historically been themselves. I'd be all for Tempest. I'd also be cool with making existing white characters non-white. Representation has to happen somehow.
    I think Cyborg belongs on Titans over Justice League but it doesn't bother me because my first exposure to Cyborg was Ernie Hudson voicing him on Galactic Guardians the Super Powers Team. Just wish Firestorm was with him.

  6. #21
    Titans Together!! byrd156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    8,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Many really great reviews of the pilot if you search "doom patrol review" on twitter. I LOVE Doom Patrol but was iffy on the series until I saw so many great reviews. Now I can't wait.
    This series looked great from the start. I feel like this is gonna be the best DC related property since YJ first came out.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

    "In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

    "One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think it's strange to go with Cyborg when he's on the Justice League in the DCEU and they have a Titans show where he'd make more sense and not go with Tempest (Joshua Clay not Garth) for Doom Patrol or someone.

    None the less they were the best part of Titans and looking forward to the show.
    I don't have a problem with race swapping in DP since the characters are not so iconic. Though having Cliff Steele or Larry Trainor being black would be kind of pointless (at least for visual diversity purposes). But if they brought in a black Mento or even if the Chief was black, I'd be cool with that.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with those two other guys)
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I don't have a problem with race swapping in DP since the characters are not so iconic. Though having Cliff Steele or Larry Trainor being black would be kind of pointless (at least for visual diversity purposes). But if they brought in a black Mento or even if the Chief was black, I'd be cool with that.
    Oh I agree race swapping Negative Man or Robot Man would defeat the purpose of visual representation. Chief I would had been cool with until they cast Timothy Dalton just love him as an actor. I just found using Cyborg strange especially with a Titans show. Since it's based off Morrison's run another popular run of his was Animal Man a race swapped version of him on the team could had been interesting or like I mentioned early Joshua Clay's Tempest.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,709

    Default

    Or we can stop assuming that anytime a POC shows up, it's to fulfill some quota or SJW agenda - as though that's the only reason one would be included.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Or we can stop assuming that anytime a POC shows up, it's to fulfill some quota or SJW agenda - as though that's the only reason one would be included.
    Thank you. Also, what's wrong with SJW? We need more of them, not less, in comics and everywhere.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thank you. Also, what's wrong with SJW? We need more of them, not less, in comics and everywhere.
    The only thing wrong with it is that it's a simplistic term that its detractors use as away to dismiss the underlying social relevance of the sentiment behind it. (buzzwords are the hallmark of simple minds and the enemy of intelligent discourse)

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The only thing wrong with it is that it's a simplistic term that its detractors use as away to dismiss the underlying social relevance of the sentiment behind it. (buzzwords are the hallmark of simple minds and the enemy of intelligent discourse)
    Word. 10 char

  13. #28
    Extraordinary Member Jokerz79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    5,193

    Default

    While way over used now and used to describe any person with a liberal viewpoint "SJW" was used once to describe the far end of a political ideology in it'd case the left in the very same way something like "Bible Thumper" was to describe the religious right.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 02-12-2019 at 10:12 PM.

  14. #29
    Mighty Member C_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    While way over used now and used to describe any person with a liberal viewpoint "SJW" was used once to describe the far end of a political ideology in it'd case the left in the very same way something like "Bible Thumper" was to describe the religious right.
    I think even that's an oversimplification. I don't think politics has too much to do with it to a certain degree except in the sense that everything is politics. Because I consider myself pretty far left, but I don't think I've ever been called an SJW. I think SJW started out as an insult hurled at people on the left who preached moral sociopolitics from a condescending position, mainly dealing with traditionally marginalized groups, without having the knowledge to back up their claims. Probably containing a little bit of hypocrisy. While it's true that many people who would fit this are on the left, a great many of them don't really care about any of the other issues that the Far Left focuses on.

    Those are the ones who the term was created about and the term was probably used properly for about an hour and thirty minutes before it became the most popular insult on the internet used by white boys who are upset that they can't use the words faggot, retard and pussy anymore without getting called out. Now, I'm not saying everyone who uses the term is a racist, sexist, homophobe. But most of the racist, sexist, homophobes who I have met on the internet use the term like its currency and it does certainly make me take the opinion of the person I'm talking to with a grain of salt.

  15. #30
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    The reason Cyborg is on this team is for name recognition and to tie into the Titans later.

    The first part I get ... but isn't Beast Boy the normal tie to Doom Patrol for the Teen Titans?
    Beast Boy left the DP in the Teen Titans episode. But he could definitely drop in for an appearance in this series.

    That could also be why Cyborg is there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •