Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

One episode in and I think we're off to a great start! We get origins for Rita, Cliff and Larry which were all great!(focus on Cliff though, but that's not surprising) I imagine some people won't like some of the changes to the origins, but I can see why it's needed to flesh these guys out. I don't really recall any of them having any kind of real life before the team, and it just makes sense for the show that they had issues before becoming freaks. I like it.

First episode is pretty great. One of the best first episodes for any superhero show in fact.

Retired

I wish we could get all the episodes at once instead of having to wait. The pilot really just sets things up and just when everything is about to happen, that's when it ends.

While I liked that each character belongs to a different time period (but what about the Chief?), this does mean they've been sitting around Doom Manor for a very long time. And some of those timeline things seem clunky. It's hard to accept that these strange heroes have been couch potatoes for decades, with nothing ever happening until now.

WOW! That exceeded my wildest expectations. Loved it more than any live-action DC TV since Batman '66. Can't wait for the rest of the season!

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I thought this was a great start and I don't mind the one episode a week deal myself. Less of chance for someone to spoil the entire season for me that way, which happens a lot to me with shows that drop all their episodes at once. (I have friends that have unintentionally done so in the past and I really hate that so...)
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Great episode definitely one of the best live action DC shows has right now with Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I wish we could get all the episodes at once instead of having to wait. The pilot really just sets things up and just when everything is about to happen, that's when it ends.

While I liked that each character belongs to a different time period (but what about the Chief?), this does mean they've been sitting around Doom Manor for a very long time. And some of those timeline things seem clunky. It's hard to accept that these strange heroes have been couch potatoes for decades, with nothing ever happening until now.
    I’m guessing because of their various afflictions, they wouldn’t age the same way as ‘normal’ people. But I am a little curious as to why they introduced each character from specific, different time periods. As far as the characters themselves, I think Rita is the most realized for me. In the comics, she didn’t really interest me much; size changing heroes, or elastic heroes don’t really interest me. But here, she seems more “fleshed out.” Larry’s story is also kind of interesting- I can’t really understand the negative being’s powers, or how Larry controls it, or doesn’t. I also can’t really tell if Matt bomer is really doing the voice or not. Cliff Steele is the hardest for me to get behind- robot man still looks clunky to me. Also, can robots blink? I’m guessing the chief is at least partially responsible for what happened to mr. nobody, but i’m Wondering if they’re going to have him directly responsible for the accidents that befell the doom patrol. How would he be responsible for accidents?
    I could do without the near constant f-bombs. I’m starting to like Alan tudyk, in spite of myself.
    Last edited by protege; 02-15-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Retired

The ageing for Cliff, Larry, Rita and Jane makes sense--their afflictions explain why their age isn't visible. But the Chief was around in all those periods and doesn't seem to have aged since the 1980s--so he must have an affliction as well, or is time not passing normally in Doom Manor?

I like the different time periods because it lets each character have their own ambience in the flashbacks. The 1950s makes sense for a classic film actress. The 1960s makes sense for a hotshot jet pilot. The 1970s rings true for the far-out Crazy Jane. Leaving the 1980s for Cliff.

Lots of opportunity for set design and costuming.

What doesn't make sense is why Jane and Cliff met so late, when they both seem to have been in the house at the same time--this leads me to think that there's weird stuff going on inside the house which would explain how their ships never passed in the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The ageing for Cliff, Larry, Rita and Jane makes sense--their afflictions explain why their age isn't visible. But the Chief was around in all those periods and doesn't seem to have aged since the 1980s--

What doesn't make sense is why Jane and Cliff met so late, when they both seem to have been in the house at the same time--this leads me to think that there's weird stuff going on inside the house which would explain how their ships never passed in the night.
    I think it's a narrative conceit. The really important things have to happen in the now. They also conveniently left out Beast Boy as being a guest, but the line of how other people have some and gone was the catch-all for the fact that people have been around, but Cliff didn't necessarily meet them all. It's a big house and I can imagine the Chief limiting various guests to various parts of the house.

BANNED

Loved it, fantastic start.

From posters to promos to trailers to the opening theme I have been surprised by how they kept impressing me. I'm actually going to nab a free trial to check this out. I wasn't going to do it for Young Justice alone, but now I have more of a reason. I know 0 about DP, so this should be interesting.

I like the little detail of how Cliff's metal shoulder pads contain solar panels.

Mighty Member

That was a dope first episode and it was cool to see this scene

Dude....it was fucking good..

Great even. Holy ****, I had a good feeling about this show but it may have even exceeded my expectations. I hope to zeus it doesn't lose it's way along the road, but for now great job DC.

Good to hear that folks are enjoying the show.