Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

spoilers:
    was that the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man at the end of the episode?
    end of spoilers

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    spoilers:
    was that the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man at the end of the episode?
    end of spoilers
    Yes. [10 characters]

BANNED

This show almost made me cry at least twice now:

spoilers:
    Robotman realizing his wife/daughter died...well, at least his wife...(and I, myself, realized what was going to happen just a moment before), and Larry's wife saying good-bye to him.
    end of spoilers

I've quite enjoyed it so far, and haven't had any experience with Doom Patrol before this.

I don't get the complaints against Jane. ::shrug::

Retired

They kind of spoiled a few things in the trailer that they put out just before the series began. So the revelations about Cyborg didn't have the impact they should have had. And also knowing stuff from the comics means that I'm not as surprised. But it's affecting when they change stuff, like they did with Cliff.

I don't get the complaints about Jane either. Figuring out her different personalities and her secrets is one of the threads that keeps the show interesting. I'm digging the whole cast. I even liked those two German women, Greta and Franka--they were cute.

I loved Cliff's response after he tore the bad guys apart "what have I done".

Jeez dont p!$$ robbie off

Jane also doesn't exactly where kid gloves does she.

And to think people thought Titans was brutal.
    Last edited by beatboks; 03-03-2019 at 04:21 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    They kind of spoiled a few things in the trailer that they put out just before the series began. So the revelations about Cyborg didn't have the impact they should have had. And also knowing stuff from the comics means that I'm not as surprised. But it's affecting when they change stuff, like they did with Cliff.
    IDK. Is the Cyborg stuff (so far) really what it seems? When he's reviewing the explosion footage, the actual blast seemed to come from another side of the room? Plus there's the whole "privacy mode" that's...not really a privacy mode. I'm speculating Vic's dad is a bit manipulative.

Mighty Member

Man, this show is lit. Another unique, crazy episode. It did make me want to see Constantine on it.

Retired

Some of the reviews I see of the show, while they appreciate it, they say that it's just so weird. This could potentially lead people to think that DOOM PATROL is uncontrolled madness. But everything I see in the show serves the story and it's not weirdness just for the sake of being weird. There are some series that simply try to be goofy and there's no point to them. But DOOM PATROL makes sense. The writers clearly know where they're going.

Maybe when some reviewers are presented with off-the-wall elements--and the latest episode certainly had its share--they're thrown off their game and lose the thread. And when you lose the thread, you'll lose your way and never get out of the maze before the Minotaur catches you.

I guess I've read comic books for so long that none of these delightful things cracks my concentration. If you sing "A Hard Day's Night" backwards that's the strongest spell--but of course. Everyone knows that.

They can't show me a snarky, greezy,smoking, trench coat wearing brit and not have me think of Constantine, lol.

Another good episode, I'm still having fun with this series. Cyborg has a major stick up his ass though, they need to go easy on that.

A co-worker said that he enjoyed the show, but that it's very strange. I told him, "Of course it's strange. Ever since they first appeared in My Greatest Adventure, the Doom Patrol has been billed as 'the World's Strangest Heroes.'" And that was before Grant Morrison got a hold of them and added characters like Crazy Jane and Dorothy Spinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    They can't show me a snarky, greezy,smoking, trench coat wearing brit and not have me think of Constantine, lol.

Another good episode, I'm still having fun with this series. Cyborg has a major stick up his ass though, they need to go easy on that.
    Kinda the point.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Kinda the point.
    Then why not actually use the character? I don't anything preventing them from doing so.

Retired

Grant Morrison couldn't use John Constantine at the time, because Vertigo said no to that, so he made up his own John Constantine in Willoughby Kipling. It's kind of cool, when you think about it. He's actually supposed to look like Richard E. Grant in WITHNAIL AND I--and sort of based on that character. But as played by Mark Sheppard, he's like the Continental Op to Constantine's Nick Charles.

Grant Morrison couldn't use John Constantine at the time, because Vertigo said no to that, so he made up his own John Constantine in Willoughby Kipling. It's kind of cool, when you think about it. He's actually supposed to look like Richard E. Grant in WITHNAIL AND I--and sort of based on that character. But as played by Mark Sheppard, he's like the Continental Op to Constantine's Nick Charles.
    Exactly.

They are sticking with a character that was a workaround in the comics.

Incredible Member

I was wondering why they didn't use Constantine when I was watching this. That's good to know. But can they use him on the show?

They gotta use the blue horse again, that **** was wild