Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Doom Patrol

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Grant Morrison couldn't use John Constantine at the time, because Vertigo said no to that, so he made up his own John Constantine in Willoughby Kipling. It's kind of cool, when you think about it. He's actually supposed to look like Richard E. Grant in WITHNAIL AND I--and sort of based on that character. But as played by Mark Sheppard, he's like the Continental Op to Constantine's Nick Charles.
    I didn't know that. Good to know.

Retired

I wonder what they'll do for SWAMP THING, since you would expect to see John Constantine. Yet there seem to be plans for him on the CW--so would they have two different actors play him, or use Matt Ryan for both, or go the Willougby Kipling route and have him stand in for Constantine in Swampy's series?

I wonder what they'll do for SWAMP THING, since you would expect to see John Constantine. Yet there seem to be plans for him on the CW--so would they have two different actors play him, or use Matt Ryan for both, or go the Willougby Kipling route and have him stand in for Constantine in Swampy's series?
    They haven't announced Constantine for show yet. It's likely they won't use him at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    They haven't announced Constantine for show yet. It's likely they won't use him at all.
    Depends on how closely they stick to the Moore run.

If you weren't following note-for-note, you probably could get away with leaving John out.

Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Depends on how closely they stick to the Moore run.
    If you weren't following note-for-note, you probably could get away with leaving John out.
    DC has plenty of minor magic-users who can serve the Constantine 'annoying magical gadfly' role in a Swamp Thing 'inspired by' pretty easily, like Madame Xanadu or Terrence Thirteen or Dr. Occult or Sargon the Sorcerer or Jason Blood (operating sans Etrigan). Jason Blood's probably the most 'Constantine-like' option, being not much of a magician, and a snarky Brit to boot.

Heck, even a more potent magician, with reason to avoid openly mixing it up, like the Phantom Stranger, could be in that position, since the cryptic advisor who shows up, says something open to interpretation, and then doesn't really do anything of significance to help anyway, is pretty much Phantom Strangers Justice League career in a nutshell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    DC has plenty of minor magic-users who can serve the Constantine 'annoying magical gadfly' role in a Swamp Thing 'inspired by' pretty easily, like Madame Xanadu or Terrence Thirteen or Dr. Occult or Sargon the Sorcerer or Jason Blood (operating sans Etrigan). Jason Blood's probably the most 'Constantine-like' option, being not much of a magician, and a snarky Brit to boot.

Heck, even a more potent magician, with reason to avoid openly mixing it up, like the Phantom Stranger, could be in that position, since the cryptic advisor who shows up, says something open to interpretation, and then doesn't really do anything of significance to help anyway, is pretty much Phantom Strangers Justice League career in a nutshell.
    Madame Xanadu is slated to appear in the Swamp Thing show.

Retired

I think DOOM PATROL proves that drawing from the best comics is the way to go. Now the Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson run is still my favourite Swamp Thing, but it's pretty well a fact that the Alan Moore run is the favourite for most people--so they should try as much as they can to use that blueprint.

Retired

How come no one else is posting about the latest episode?

I hope I'm not the only one that's watching. Five episodes in I feel like this is one of the best series there is. Each episode is like a mini-movie.

Fantastic Member

How come no one else is posting about the latest episode?

I hope I'm not the only one that's watching. Five episodes in I feel like this is one of the best series there is. Each episode is like a mini-movie.
    Its the best thing on TV by far. I love this show!!!!!

One thing Mr Nobody and Batman have in common.

They both hate punk.

Spectacular Member

I didn't know what to expect with this show since I never read "Doom Patrol" comics. The only knowledge I had of them was when they showed up in a crossover with Byrne's Superman way back in the day. I freakin' love this show!! It's so bat-crap crazy in a good way. Every week I'm watching and saying, "I have no idea what is going on, but I am excited!"

Mighty Member

How old is Jane and why doesn't she age?

Retired

Why don't any of the Doom Patrol age? I think there's a good excuse for each of them--the Chief is the only one that hasn't been explained yet. With Crazy Jane, she has 64 personalities, so that seems to be why she doesn't age much. I would guess she was around twenty (?) in 1977.

It's interesting to think that everyone working on this show has worked on other shows for the CW. Not to critique the CW, but they're rather limited in what they can do. Whereas, here, they have the freedom to do much more. So the people involved have the talent to do some amazing comic book adaptations--and I guess it's really about what the channel alllows them to do.

I would also guess that even if the CW could have a show like DOOM PATROL, the ratings wouldn't be very good. Quality television has a hard time attracting viewers.

Another awesome episode. They pushed Jane a bit more emotionally, which I greatly appreciate.

Really liked this week episode only complaint was they say they're having a staring contest than cut to it's over wish there had been just a little more and yeah wish they'd explain why Jane and Caulder aren't aging I get the rest just wish it was explained with them.