Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Fatman on Batman used to be the best.... THE BEST!

I know its been a long time now but Fatman on Batman was just the greatest podcast at one point, and its the just the worst piece of garbage there is now. Marc Bernardin ruined it and Kevin acts like a dumb radio host now. Man do I miss what it used to be.
    Last edited by Orpheus37; 02-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.

I used to listen to Fatman on Batman all the time. Kevin's interviews were great and so personal when he did them from home. We all know he's a huge Batman fan and to hear his stories always made for a great listen.

Maybe the rut the Batman books have been in for a while are also to blame?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus37 View Post
    I know its been a long time now but Fatman on Batman was just the greatest podcast at one point, and its the just the worst piece of garbage there is now. Marc Bernardin ruined it and Kevin acts like a dumb radio host now. Man do I miss what it used to be.
    Agreed I'm not a fan of Marc at all. I also enjoyed what it used to be. The Kevin Conroy episode has my favorite interview with Conroy.
    Last edited by Batfan Beyond; 02-08-2019 at 03:15 PM.

I liked his old interviews with Morrison and Loeb. Can't stand the current stuff. I'm sure that he has drastically increased his audience by dumbing it down to cater to the casuals who have never opened a comic but love superheroes because the watch The Flash and Avengers and have DC wiki'ed Blackest Knight. Not for me anymore though.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batfan Beyond View Post
    Agreed I'm not a fan of Marc at all. I also enjoyed what it used to be. The Kevin Conroy episode has my favorite interview with Conroy.
    I know Marc is the worst, a total unoriginal crybaby

Amazing Member

I liked his old interviews with Morrison and Loeb. Can't stand the current stuff. I'm sure that he has drastically increased his audience by dumbing it down to cater to the casuals who have never opened a comic but love superheroes because the watch The Flash and Avengers and have DC wiki'ed Blackest Knight. Not for me anymore though.
    I loved the one with Loeb too. The early Dini ones were legendary, while the later ones with Dini were a precursor for the bad things to come.

I personally love Marc Bernardin. He's a really smart guy who knows media and has decent insight on genre movies and TV but I don't really care for the new format. There are a ton of podcasts with a similar make up as this one. And if I'm being honest, I think Kevin brings it down. I'd much rather listen to Marc explain the media with another co-host as it almost seems like Kevin just randomly shows up without much to say. I love other podcasts with Kevin (big Babble-On fan, his dynamic works better with Ralph Garman), but this one isn't my favorite.

I did like the old format as there really isn't another podcast out there that's devoted to longform interviews with comic book creators.

I need to go back and listen to them all, honestly only heard the Grant Morrison episode (and wept openly whilst listening). Huge fan of Kevin, too.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

I too enjoyed the old shows, but you know, the internet needed another podcast for forty year old dudes to complain about things.

Loved the Morrison, Snyder, and Kyle Higgins episodes.

Astonishing Member

I also liked the one he did with Johns, which was probably Johns at his most honest about New 52.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I personally love Marc Bernardin. He's a really smart guy who knows media and has decent insight on genre movies and TV but I don't really care for the new format. There are a ton of podcasts with a similar make up as this one. And if I'm being honest, I think Kevin brings it down. I'd much rather listen to Marc explain the media with another co-host as it almost seems like Kevin just randomly shows up without much to say. I love other podcasts with Kevin (big Babble-On fan, his dynamic works better with Ralph Garman), but this one isn't my favorite.

I did like the old format as there really isn't another podcast out there that's devoted to longform interviews with comic book creators.
    Really? I guess that's cool but I think Bernardin is a such a blow hard. I don't he has any real insight, and his opinions are as predictable and as uninteresting as they could be... let's see, he's on the left and while there's nothing wrong with that he's obnoxious about it, loves marvel movies, hates dc movies. pretty much like any other boring comics podcaster. I'm not going after you so I apologize but man Bernardin ruined that show.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I like Bernardin, hate the format. It went from being a cool podcast about Batman to being just another nerd news show. And nerd news shows are awful.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus37 View Post
    Really? I guess that's cool but I think Bernardin is a such a blow hard. I don't he has any real insight, and his opinions are as predictable and as uninteresting as they could be... let's see, he's on the left and while there's nothing wrong with that he's obnoxious about it, loves marvel movies, hates dc movies. pretty much like any other boring comics podcaster. I'm not going after you so I apologize but man Bernardin ruined that show.
    From the tone of your response, I'm going to assume that your main reason for not liking him is that you disagree with him. Which is fine. I don't think he hates DC movies, in fact, he appears to be a bigger DC fan than Marvel. He just doesn't enjoy this crop of movies, which is completely fair (though he does like Wonder Woman and seemingly Aquaman). Just because you don't like his movie opinions doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's talking about when he talks about the industry. I don't agree with everything he says either, but that doesn't change him being a smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I like Bernardin, hate the format. It went from being a cool podcast about Batman to being just another nerd news show. And nerd news shows are awful.
    I agree. I think nerd news shows walk a very thin line and most of them fail to do so. You either have a host who doesn't have any background in what they're covering or they have so much that the fanboy cringe is real and are unable to think critically. I think Kevin Smith himself falls on both sides, which is why I think he's the one who ruins the format.

The only nerd news show I enjoy is Screen Junkies and that's for two main reasons. 1) While they are mainly focused on nerd subjects, they don't shy away from covering any major industry news and do a pretty good job deep diving into that. 2) They have a nice balance of experience with the industry and knowledge of their subject bases. Some of them are very knowledgeable in industry things, some of them are very knowledgeable in comics, ect. It's like they're the anti-Collider, who I often feel are just fans with no real insight.

Amazing Member

I guess what bugs me is that everything he says is so predictable. He's just not interesting.