Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
Yeah, and I didn't like that. She was introduced too late for that to be a good idea. Though originally, she was a very young adult, I still think it was a bad call. Hawkgirl became Hawkwoman in 1981. And they had to write a story about Barbara not switching to Batwoman somewhere the in 1977-1979 timeframe. If she'd been introduced a decade earlier, sure, everyone was doing it, but she was introduced in 1976 - did things change that much in just a few years (I was not yet born)? After that, maybe inertia kept the name? I'm honestly not sure how old she was by time the '90s rolled around (don't know if any retcons changed age).

Anyway, I do prefer Supergirl introduced as a 15 year old as she originally was. But she needs to age at the same rate as everyone else. And if she's Dick age, should make it to at least her mid-to-late 20s (unless killed off). That means growing past the youth stage and having a real, grownup life (something DC doesn't seem to support for certain characters, while others are allowed it). She should have left the name Supergirl behind her by then. It's fine to choose at 15 and it's fine for inertia to keep it a while, but by 22/23, it needs to be gone, IMO.
It's unfortunate that DC introduced another character named Superwoman (probably to maintain copyrights). Otherwise Supergirl could have grown into Superwoman just as Superboy grew into Superman.