Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do you prefer Supergirl as a teenager or a young adult?

Just a thought. Supergirl tends to be portrayed as one of these, usually getting introduced as a teenager, which she is in the comics right now. Do you prefer she stay this way, or should the comics allow her to grow older?

A teenager. If she is an adult, then she should no longer be SuperGIRL.

A teenager.

I was first introduced to Supergirl as a teen (S:TAS) and that's usually how I visualize her.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Young adult.

Like an early college student. Her last episode in JLU really, really landed well for me, and her introduction (and Morrison's description of her) sold the idea for me. I like some mileage on her boots, ya know? Her last episode in JLU really sold the idea that she can keep all of the fresh off the boat aspects to her, but with this added nuanced of adaptation and assimilation in the interest of making due/the best out of a situation.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Straddle the line. Like make her 18. A legal adult but still technically a teenager.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

teenager,16 years old or so
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    A teenager. If she is an adult, then she should no longer be SuperGIRL.
    Yes. The explanation in the television show was lame. Carol's boss was not a girl but a woman. By the same logic, Superman should forever be Superboy.

I personally think Supergirl should be a teenager since we have Powergirl as the alternate reality young adult version.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. The explanation in the television show was lame. Carol's boss was not a girl but a woman. By the same logic, Superman should forever be Superboy.
    I know people in relationships with women over 21 years old and they still call them "girlfriend" so your argument is stupid just on that logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I know people in relationships with women over 21 years old and they still call them "girlfriend" so your argument is stupid just on that logic.
    Thank you for your polite and non-personal rebuttal.

So, since, women over 21 call men over 21 their boyfriend, that means the grown man from Krypton is still called Superboy. Right?
    Power with Girl is better.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Thank you for your polite and non-personal rebuttal.

So, since, women over 21 call men over 21 their boyfriend, that means the grown man from Krypton is still called Superboy. Right?
    Well in the age of respecting everyone's pronouns of choice, if they give themselves that name, I think it's fair to continue calling someone "Superboy" until they decide otherwise. If Kara (or Shiera/Kendra as Hawkgirl, Karen as Power Girl) want to keep going by "girl" in their thirties, who am I to argue it's time they go by "woman?" Likewise, if Conner wants to be Superboy until he's 50, he's welcome to. Is it a bit weird? Sure, but hey, they can fly and likely don't age the same so who cares?

They want to be Supergirl, Power Girl whatever. When they decide to go by "woman," well that's cool too... But I think it's fine.

Spectacular Member

I personally think Supergirl should be a teenager since we have Powergirl as the alternate reality young adult version.
    Since they merged the universes in the Arrowverse, Powergirl might actually show up on the new Superman television show, she too is from Krypton, maybe not the same Krypton Kara is from, a different actress should play her though. I think they might actually reverse roles and have Powergirl be younger than Supergirl, still pretty mature and developed, probably around 18 or so. Do you know of any actresses or models that could play her?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Since they merged the universes in the Arrowverse, Powergirl might actually show up on the new Superman television show, she too is from Krypton, maybe not the same Krypton Kara is from, a different actress should play her though. I think they might actually reverse roles and have Powergirl be younger than Supergirl, still pretty mature and developed, probably around 18 or so. Do you know of any actresses or models that could play her?
    If they were going to use a teen version of her, she might as well be played by the actress who's played teenage Kara since Supergirl season 3.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    If they were going to use a teen version of her, she might as well be played by the actress who's played teenage Kara since Supergirl season 3.
    Yes why not, and since they were merging the various universes, why not have two Supergirls in one? You can have Kara of National City, reporter of CatCo and another Kara that just arrives in her spaceship, this is the Kara that was native to the Arrowverse also known as Earth 1, this Universe had it's own Krypton, this Kara's spaceship could just arrive, since she would be in suspended animation the whole time, it would be a younger Kara so it would require a younger actress. Since Supergirl already exists in this Universe she might take the name of Powergirl to avoid confusion, makes perfect sense.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Just a thought. Supergirl tends to be portrayed as one of these, usually getting introduced as a teenager, which she is in the comics right now. Do you prefer she stay this way, or should the comics allow her to grow older?
    I prefer Supergirl as a teenager and to have her develop into an adult in the comics, not as had happened in the Supergirl television show where she hides her powers until she decides to come out as a Superhero as an adult.

There are many fascinating question as a teenage superhero that need to be answered such as:

1) Who is Supergirl's legal guardian on Earth?
    Supergirl shows up in a spaceship as a teenager and someone adopts her, how does this happen? Is a secret identity established and how? How does Supergirl have a somewhat normal life if she does not have a secret identity? If she is just Supergirl or Kara Zor El when "off duty" how does she avoid becoming an instant celebrity with a fan club and people after for her autograph and reporters and photographers trying to snap a picture of her and write stories about her private life, as that is what would happen without a secret identity?

A secret identity is a good idea, but how? She'll need more than glasses. A wig is often suggested, usually a dark wig to contrast with her normally blonde hair. Maybe a magic/technological ring that disguises her by wrapping a hologram around her? I think that will work better. Perhaps it is a Kryptonian artifact, it basically makes her look like a different girl, giving her brown eyes and dark hair, the same shape and size though, I would suggest the disguise is not perfect, let's say for instance a boy kisses her, he gets inside the hologram and sees Kara as she normally looks instead, so that gives her a reason to be shy around boys.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 12-28-2020 at 11:56 AM.

I prefer Supergirl as a teenager and to have her develop into an adult in the comics, not as had happened in the Supergirl television show where she hides her powers until she decides to come out as a Superhero as an adult.
    Agreed. And then for her not to be de-aged again.

Is a secret identity established and how?
    I think forged paperwork/hacked records works well enough for this sort of fiction. But there's the matter of who does that (Clark? Bruce? Is she still introduced before Barbara?) and how completely is it done (plot device of someone finding the records inadequate later for some reason).