Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Do you prefer Supergirl as a teenager or a young adult?

Just a thought. Supergirl tends to be portrayed as one of these, usually getting introduced as a teenager, which she is in the comics right now. Do you prefer she stay this way, or should the comics allow her to grow older?

A teenager. If she is an adult, then she should no longer be SuperGIRL.

A teenager.

I was first introduced to Supergirl as a teen (S:TAS) and that's usually how I visualize her.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Young adult.

Like an early college student. Her last episode in JLU really, really landed well for me, and her introduction (and Morrison's description of her) sold the idea for me. I like some mileage on her boots, ya know? Her last episode in JLU really sold the idea that she can keep all of the fresh off the boat aspects to her, but with this added nuanced of adaptation and assimilation in the interest of making due/the best out of a situation.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Straddle the line. Like make her 18. A legal adult but still technically a teenager.
    Assassinate Putin!

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

teenager,16 years old or so
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Teen that progresses to adulthood (granted, I would like that for all characters, but age progression is apparently a big no-no unless done in questionable ways).

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I'd like Kara in Dick and Donna's generation.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think the reason she's gone from college to college is because it doesn't really fit her character to be olser than that, neither does it serve her cousin. Additionally, I think having her as an adult colors how people see her too much. Like people think of a woman like Benoist and it sets up the wrong impression of the comic character. Sometimes.... inappropriate, outside of a flash forward story.

Basically if not stuck at a static age I think she should run between 13 to 19 in a given continuity. As a Supergirl fan my favorite material is in her 8th grade adventures, Stanhope, Chicago, New 52, and the original Action backups. The Andreyko stuff is really promising and she seems just a little more mature, but it's still not adult.

I think it was not great to put Jon as an older teen and now Kon is back. But Kara should have the right of way. Of course, I also don't like that Dick Grayson is a grown man so what do I know.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Wasn't HawkGIRL a fully grown, married woman? They tend to drag the definition of "girl" out a bit long.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Wasn't HawkGIRL a fully grown, married woman? They tend to drag the definition of "girl" out a bit long.
    Batgirl was also originally a college graduate and working woman.

It's only been with subsequent reboots that they've made Babs start out as Batgirl in her teens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Batgirl was also originally a college graduate and working woman.

It's only been with subsequent reboots that they've made Babs start out as Batgirl in her teens.
    I think she's in or graduated college right now and she's still called Batgirl.

Actually, Supergirl pre-Crisis was an adult by the time Crisis happened, even became an actress in a soap opera. I think it's one of those things that have changed with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think the reason she's gone from college to college is because it doesn't really fit her character to be olser than that, neither does it serve her cousin. Additionally, I think having her as an adult colors how people see her too much. Like people think of a woman like Benoist and it sets up the wrong impression of the comic character. Sometimes.... inappropriate, outside of a flash forward story.

Basically if not stuck at a static age I think she should run between 13 to 19 in a given continuity. As a Supergirl fan my favorite material is in her 8th grade adventures, Stanhope, Chicago, New 52, and the original Action backups. The Andreyko stuff is really promising and she seems just a little more mature, but it's still not adult.

I think it was not great to put Jon as an older teen and now Kon is back. But Kara should have the right of way. Of course, I also don't like that Dick Grayson is a grown man so what do I know.
    I think they had to age her up for the CW to keep her consistent with the age brackets of the other shows. Particularly given all the crossovers. I know they said they wouldn't crossover in the beginning but I never believed that.

But I agree on the 13-19 range. I think it's a good age range to both differentiate her from Clark but has some good storytelling potential. Main problem is you have to many comic artists that'd draw a 15 year old like a 25 year old model regardless.

As part of Nightwing's and Batgirl's (Babs') generation.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Actually, Supergirl pre-Crisis was an adult by the time Crisis happened, even became an actress in a soap opera. I think it's one of those things that have changed with the times.
    True, but that's because DC actually let her grow up. She initially started out as a teenager.