Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

How old was the Matrix Supergirl? Clearly a young woman but an age was never given.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Don't forget he was physiologically stuck as a 16 year old for some time after his genetic meltdown situation.
    How long was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    How long was that?
    He was stuck at 16 at issue 41 of his series. Serling Roquette was able to reverse this during the Young Justice crossover event Sins of Youth. That was issue 74 of his series.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I do so love the "creators make choices" argument because fans (and I do this to, mind) only use it when it's a decision they don't like. If Kara went by Superwoman that's her and not the writer or editor? Changeling turning into Beast Boy isn't a reduction too?

Look, I get it, Robin got to be the Teen Wonder when he got older. Society expects boys to grow up fast and girls stay young forever. It sucks. I'm not defending that, but we need to remember these are fictional worlds driven by commerce in which the IP supercedes story. Why do you think Batman loses to a clown but can beat up gods?

But Kara is eternally a young adult, and probably doesn't know her place in the world yet. Legally you're an adult at 18 but most don't truly feel that way. I know I didn't feel like a man at 18. I felt more a boy at 18 than I did 16 because the world opened up in a big bad way. These characters don't really age or process it in the same way. A lot of times that's circumvented by giving them an ageless name (Nightwing), but the hero's are young. In universe, that's enough reason for them not to rebrand... And that brings up the most important factor: these books are commerce first, story second. The brand of Supergirl is stronger than Superwoman. That's why it won't change. Everything else is basically like trying to explain the glasses or how everyone is too stupid to figure out Batman is Bruce Wayne despite being the only one with the resources and all the DNA samples he leaves on crime scenes since he bleeds in every fight. It's just trying to explain why something needs to be bullshit because it helps business.

As far as justifications go, a young adult not sure where they fit in the world may not really care to change their identity because they're not yet sure what it is. Maybe by going by Superwoman she's putting herself in the same league as Wonder Woman and that intimidates her. Maybe she just likes Supergirl.

She goes by Superwoman later in life, but there's never going to be a satisfying answer that trumps Supergirl is her brand and she's an IP first to the people in control.
    I was going to bring that factor into my previous post but I forgot. Recognizable brand name which sort of goes to, "People in the real world make these decisions".

Wonder Woman probably got that name because it rhymes and because her creator who was for Women's rights and equality (albeit in a weird way) chose the name.

Supergirl started as a teenager in the original version. So, brand name.

Beastboy maybe because it rhymes and to keep his connection to the Teen Titans.

Robin got to be Nightwing but Wondergirl had nowhere to go because name taken and literally ageless Amazon.

I get that every choice isn't intentional sexism. In the television show, it might have been better if they hadn't addressed the issue but I'm sure they thought they were giving a sensible answer and that they addressed it shows they at least understood there was an issue to be addressed.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

How old was the Matrix Supergirl? Clearly a young woman but an age was never given.
    In terms of how long she was alive at the time of her introduction she was an infant. Like Conner she was created without going through childhood. Superman pointed that out when he remarked on how innocent she was when she first got together with Lex Luthor Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I was going to bring that factor into my previous post but I forgot. Recognizable brand name which sort of goes to, "People in the real world make these decisions".

Wonder Woman probably got that name because it rhymes and because her creator who was for Women's rights and equality (albeit in a weird way) chose the name.

Supergirl started as a teenager in the original version. So, brand name.

Beastboy maybe because it rhymes and to keep his connection to the Teen Titans.

Robin got to be Nightwing but Wondergirl had nowhere to go because name taken and literally ageless Amazon.

I get that every choice isn't intentional sexism. In the television show, it might have been better if they hadn't addressed the issue but I'm sure they thought they were giving a sensible answer and that they addressed it shows they at least understood there was an issue to be addressed.
    If Carol Danvers can be now recognized as Captain Marvel then Kara can absolutely be recognized as Superwoman as long as there is corporate synergy.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    If Carol Danvers can be now recognized as Captain Marvel then Kara can absolutely be recognized as Superwoman as long as there is corporate synergy.
    It shouldn't ever be corporations writing these comic books, they should instead be hiring comic book artists and writers and allow them maximum artistic freedom, and the only thing they should care about his how many comic books they can sell. People write comic books not corporations. Corporations print and distribute but they should not be telling their artists how to do their jobs because they don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    It shouldn't ever be corporations writing these comic books, they should instead be hiring comic book artists and writers and allow them maximum artistic freedom, and the only thing they should care about his how many comic books they can sell. People write comic books not corporations. Corporations print and distribute but they should not be telling their artists how to do their jobs because they don't know.
    The point is that if they want her to be known as Superwoman they can't keep selling other stories and shows and merchandise where she is called Supergirl. If they just maintain that consistency then people will totally transition to thinking of her as Superwoman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He was stuck at 16 at issue 41 of his series. Serling Roquette was able to reverse this during the Young Justice crossover event Sins of Youth. That was issue 74 of his series.
    So before 2003 Teen Titans. That can still go under the year he was 16 and Tim was 14. I don't remember when Tim had his 15th birthday, just that it's before Infinite Crisis.

Writers and artists still need oversight. Otherwise you end up with infighting and multiple contradictory takes on the character. Especially in the DCU where people can't agree on what the right take on a character should be.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Writers and artists still need oversight. Otherwise you end up with infighting and multiple contradictory takes on the character. Especially in the DCU where people can't agree on what the right take on a character should be.
    I don't think it should be decided by a committee, I don't want corporate politics deciding what is produced, that way you end up with movies like Wonder Woman 1984.

Spectacular Member

The point is that if they want her to be known as Superwoman they can't keep selling other stories and shows and merchandise where she is called Supergirl. If they just maintain that consistency then people will totally transition to thinking of her as Superwoman
    there is no consistency between the movies, the TV shows and the comic books. Is that a terrible thing? I don't think so, a movie should be able to stand on its own. If you need to be a comic book collector to understand a movie, it wasn't done well. Also I think they ought to feature these characters in non-graphic novels, just the regular kind of novel with cover art, and words. You can have more complex stories in regular novels.

there is no consistency between the movies, the TV shows and the comic books. Is that a terrible thing? I don't think so, a movie should be able to stand on its own. If you need to be a comic book collector to understand a movie, it wasn't done well. Also I think they ought to feature these characters in non-graphic novels, just the regular kind of novel with cover art, and words. You can have more complex stories in regular novels.
    I don't think it should be decided by a committee, I don't want corporate politics deciding what is produced, that way you end up with movies like Wonder Woman 1984.
    Wtf are you guys talking about? I'm not talking about forcing everyone to tell the same type of stories. I'm talking about us evolving Kara beyond her somewhat repressive moniker of Supergirl. I don't see anything wrong with a company telling it's employees that they want to address a problem and as such they are gonna require everyone who uses Kara to call her Superwoman, at least until the name sticks, and afterwards you can have stories about when she was younger and was called supergirl. I think this is a very positive strategy.

Spectacular Member

Wtf are you guys talking about? I'm not talking about forcing everyone to tell the same type of stories. I'm talking about us evolving Kara beyond her somewhat repressive moniker of Supergirl. I don't see anything wrong with a company telling it's employees that they want to address a problem and as such they are gonna require everyone who uses Kara to call her Superwoman, at least until the name sticks, and afterwards you can have stories about when she was younger and was called supergirl. I think this is a very positive strategy.
    There are other characters called Superwoman that aren't Kara Zor El, this leads to a bit of confusion.

There are other characters called Superwoman that aren't Kara Zor El, this leads to a bit of confusion.
    And none of them are more important to the Superman mythos than Kara. So I absolutely think it's worth empowering Kara over other characters. Specifically since when you say Superwoman no particular character comes up. Some people even assume it's a grown up Supergirl