Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    I don't think it should be decided by a committee, I don't want corporate politics deciding what is produced, that way you end up with movies like Wonder Woman 1984.
    Wonder Woman 1984 is entirely a result of Jenkins's vision. She had complete artistic freedom when making that movie.

There are other characters called Superwoman that aren't Kara Zor El, this leads to a bit of confusion.
    Then change those characters' names then. There is no reason why an evil version of Wonder Woman is called Superwoman.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wonder Woman 1984 is entirely a result of Jenkins's vision. She had complete artistic freedom when making that movie.

Then change those characters' names then. There is no reason why an evil version of Wonder Woman is called Superwoman.
    who decided to put Jenkins on the project?

who decided to put Jenkins on the project?
    The people who hired her. Just as writers are hired to write whether they have total freedom or not.

The way I see it, in order to have Kara be Superwoman is to introduce a new Supergirl DC wants to promote.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The people who hired her. Just as writers are hired to write whether they have total freedom or not.
    They probably knew what she was going to write about before hiring her, this is Time-Warner after all, the same company that runs Time Magazine, and who were the Time persons of the year this year? I know who they were, and if you don't know you can check it out.

The point is I don't think Pattie Jenkins was putting in 100% into making this a great movie, I think she had some other agenda going on, and the reviews I heard of the movie were not that great. The first movie was a success, and afterwards I feel that she weaponized the second to meet that other agenda she and Time-Warner had in mind and the result was a not so great movie. If you concentrate on telling a good story, you are likely to do a better job that if you have some other purpose for your movie that you are also trying to accomplish.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    He was stuck at 16 at issue 41 of his series. Serling Roquette was able to reverse this during the Young Justice crossover event Sins of Youth. That was issue 74 of his series.
    I can't find when Tim turns 15 but he turns 16 in July 2003. Way earlier than I thought.

So

Kara was rebooted back to 18 year old in 1982
    Kara died in COIE in 1985
    Batman #440 when Tim was 13 was 1988
    Adventures of Superman #500 when Conner first appear was in 1993
    Knightsend when Tim was last mentioned as 14 ended before September 1994
    Superboy #41 when Conner stopped aging at 16 was 1997
    Young Justice series began in 1998
    Superboy #74 when Conner can age again was 2000
    Batman Murderer when Tim was already 15 began in January 2 2002 though he's been 15 before this story
    Teen Titans #1 was July 16 2003
    Robin #116 when Tim turns 16 was July 23 2003
    Superman/Batman #8 when Post Crisis Kara arrived on earth was in 2004
    Infinite Crisis when Conner died was in 2006
    Red Robin, Batgirl, and Adventure Comics series when Kara befriends 18 year old Steph, Tim was 17 and Conner was back alive was in 2009
    New 52 Supergirl #1 when Kara arrived again on earth at 16 and Tim was back to 16 was in 2011
    The current Young Justice when Cassie and Steph are 19 and Tim is 18 runs in 2019-2020

I'm too tired to recount again right now and what happen if Kara ages at which point so it's just a list of ages and publication year
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-05-2021 at 09:32 AM.

They probably knew what she was going to write about before hiring her, this is Time-Warner after all, the same company that runs Time Magazine, and who were the Time persons of the year this year? I know who they were, and if you don't know you can check it out.

The point is I don't think Pattie Jenkins was putting in 100% into making this a great movie, I think she had some other agenda going on, and the reviews I heard of the movie were not that great. The first movie was a success, and afterwards I feel that she weaponized the second to meet that other agenda she and Time-Warner had in mind and the result was a not so great movie. If you concentrate on telling a good story, you are likely to do a better job that if you have some other purpose for your movie that you are also trying to accomplish.
    The movie had no grander agenda. It had a theme it wanted to explore and story to navigate. I really liked the film. But if you didn't it had nothing to do with an "agenda".

Astonishing Member

I prefer as a young adult. She's been a teenager since forever. It's time they let her mature, more so with the like of Jon being around.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wait, I didn't realize this, but are we talking about calling her Supergirl at age 20-25? Then my answer's no. Leave Supergirl moniker when she's 13 to 19. Kara can grow up but I want her to be Superwoman or whatever when she hits adulthood.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The movie had no grander agenda. It had a theme it wanted to explore and story to navigate. I really liked the film. But if you didn't it had nothing to do with an "agenda".
    To be fair, I haven't actually seen the movie yet. I don't have HBO Max and the movie theaters in my area are closed, so I'm talking about the reviews, maybe they are wrong. Some say the villain is based on a politician that I won't mention here, the reviews I heard were not great, but I will probably see the movie eventually. The first movie was good though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I prefer as a young adult. She's been a teenager since forever. It's time they let her mature, more so with the like of Jon being around.
    Then let's have a series run long enough for her to get through high school, college and start her career, just like Smallville did for Clark Kent. We knew where Clark Kent was going to end up, we don't know where Kara is going to go though, Smallville was a prequel series, Kara however is supposed to be a Superhero as a teenager, her teenaged life is in the present, it was a disappointment to have the Supergirl show simply skip over the defining part of her life that we know as Supergirl, and have her go into hiding and only come out as a Superhero when she is grown up, that was a big let down. Why have her arrive as a young girl only to skip over that part and go directly into adulthood and throw the DEO with Martian Manhunter at her? That was not the Supergirl I was expecting.

Another thing that bothered me was how moldable Kara was, she arrives have grown, but in alternate universes she is treated as a lump of clay able to be molded into whatever shape her adopted parents wanted, if her parents were Nazis, she grew up as a Nazi, if they were Communists, she grew up as a Communist, seems like her Kryptonian parents did not impart any of their values on her.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-05-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wait, I didn't realize this, but are we talking about calling her Supergirl at age 20-25? Then my answer's no. Leave Supergirl moniker when she's 13 to 19. Kara can grow up but I want her to be Superwoman or whatever when she hits adulthood.
    I consider whatever she grows into to be a possible future, the defining reality of her is her as a teenager.

To be fair, I haven't actually seen the movie yet. I don't have HBO Max and the movie theaters in my area are closed, so I'm talking about the reviews, maybe they are wrong. Some say the villain is based on a politician that I won't mention here, the reviews I heard were not great, but I will probably see the movie eventually. The first movie was good though.
    Nah he's not. Trump has a very obvious brand. Max Lord is simply a charlattan whose whole promise is tp satisfy everyone's desires, and in this case he can actually do it with bad consquences. But he is still a sympathetic villain. His relationship with his son is a huge part of the story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nah he's not. Trump has a very obvious brand. Max Lord is simply a charlattan whose whole promise is tp satisfy everyone's desires, and in this case he can actually do it with bad consquences. But he is still a sympathetic villain. His relationship with his son is a huge part of the story.
    In any case, I think they ought to leave out politics and stick to story.

In any case, I think they ought to leave out politics and stick to story.
    It's not about politics. If anything it's about culture. And even then, only kinda