Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    As you said, based on the evidence of ratings, that season had almost no impact on ratings, likely because, if you were still watching by the time that season even started, you were a fairly dedicated fan.

It is true that the alien situation made no sense. For one thing, in the show, alien immigrants really were a threat to jobs. The idea seems to be that they were escapees from various horrible regimes. For some reason, they all came here to get jobs as bartenders, fast food workers and factory employees. They could have just done the metaphor by having an anti-alien prejudice arise that was disproportionate to their numbers.

My objection would be that it was a heavy-handed and obvious metaphor. Where the X-Men were a general metaphor for all prejudice, this was addressing one very clear topical issue.

And, yes, in the real world, it was steeped in ethnic bigotry far beyond any real threat.
    Kind of insults your intelligence if they expect us to swallow this alien guff, and anyway, I think we have a right to our World. Ever see the movie Avatar? In that movie humans were the invaders and the Na'vi were the natives, the Na'vi were quite anti-aliens, to them we were the aliens invading their world, we were the illegal immigrants. Turn that around in Supergirl and I think we rightfully ought to have some say in which extraterrestrials get to call Earth home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    Kind of insults your intelligence if they expect us to swallow this alien guff, and anyway, I think we have a right to our World. Ever see the movie Avatar? In that movie humans were the invaders and the Na'vi were the natives, the Na'vi were quite anti-aliens, to them we were the aliens invading their world, we were the illegal immigrants. Turn that around in Supergirl and I think we rightfully ought to have some say in which extraterrestrials get to call Earth home.
    Bro I told you, I don't care about the Supergirl show and the success or not of that storyline. I just don't want you to be spilling some lies like when you lied about the show losing viewers because of it. It didn't lose any viewers because of that storyline.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Bro I told you, I don't care about the Supergirl show and the success or not of that storyline. I just don't want you to be spilling some lies like when you lied about the show losing viewers because of it. It didn't lose any viewers because of that storyline.
    I didn't lie about me, I did stop watching it, so that is less. So are you saying that Republicans never watched the first season and stopped watching later after being insulted enough times? I believe it did happen, and if the ratings don't show it then they are lying.

I didn't lie about me, I did stop watching it, so that is less. So are you saying that Republicans never watched the first season and stopped watching later after being insulted enough times? I believe it did happen, and if the ratings don't show it then they are lying.
    I doubt many republicans watched Supergirl in the first place.

And they can't lie about the ratings. The only reason why people buy ads is because of the ratings. If they were caught lying they could get sued to oblivion. Plus if they wanted to lie about the ratings then they would pretenx Supergirl had more viewers than it does. It was never a popular shiw and they never pretended that it was popular.

Spectacular Member

And they can't lie about the ratings. The only reason why people buy ads is because of the ratings. If they were caught lying they could get sued to oblivion. Plus if they wanted to lie about the ratings then they would pretenx Supergirl had more viewers than it does. It was never a popular shiw and they never pretended that it was popular.
    Billionaires can purchase ads to subsidize the network that is churning out anti-Trump and anti-Republican propaganda. They don't care about losing their own money so long as it hurts Trump, and they can make it back elsewhere.

Seems to me that while Supergirl is fiction, there are some real "Lex Luthors" out there and they are mostly Democrats.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-06-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Billionaires can purchase ads to subsidize the network that is churning out anti-Trump and anti-Republican propaganda. They don't care about losing their own money so long as it hurts Trump, and they can make it back elsewhere.

Seems to me that while Supergirl is fiction, there are some real "Lex Luthors" out there and they are mostly Democrats.
    Dude you have problems. You said you didn't like people putting politics in the shows you watch, and yet you won't stop making ridiculous conspiracies. Trump gave billionaires numerois tax reductions and subsidies these 4 years. If anything they probably want him to stay in power. Now stop making up stuff without any proof.

Spectacular Member

Dude you have problems. You said you didn't like people putting politics in the shows you watch, and yet you won't stop making ridiculous conspiracies. Trump gave billionaires numerois tax reductions and subsidies these 4 years. If anything they probably want him to stay in power. Now stop making up stuff without any proof.
    Billionaires make money by selling stuff to the government, that means the more government spends the more they make, they have the power and influence to get government to spend money on what they sell, if they have to pay more in taxes they just get the government to spent more to compensate. More government money flows into their pockets than out, for ordinary citizens who can't afford to buy that influence from politicians, more money flows out as they raise your taxes.

Billionaires make money by selling stuff to the government, that means the more government spends the more they make, they have the power and influence to get government to spend money on what they sell, if they have to pay more in taxes they just get the government to spent more to compensate. More government money flows into their pockets than out, for ordinary citizens who can't afford to buy that influence from politicians, more money flows out as they raise your taxes.
    Dude move on. Keep your political delusions out of this. This thread isn't about this.

Spectacular Member

Dude move on. Keep your political delusions out of this. This thread isn't about this.
    I guess you didn't want that explanation.
    Last edited by Tom Kalbfus; 01-07-2021 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Supergirl was introduced to be the DCU's sweetheart. Stargirl's pretty much sniped it from her, but I don't see why Supergirl shouldn't course correct more towards that side.
    Yeah, more than one person can have similar personalities.

if it is a show called Supergirl and not "Team Supergirl" it should be about Supergirl, and she should not share the spotlight with a bunch of other superheroes in the show because the show should be about her!
    It's done gradually. In season 1, the only other powered hero was Martian Manhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, also this. It's not like it's the next step. Every Robin didn't have to graduate to Nightwing. They do their own things. PG never was Supergirl initially (one more thing New 52 screwed up), she went straight to PG because she didn't want to be Supergirl.
    Not even every Dick Grayson. Pre-Crisis Earth-2 Dick was still Robin as an adult, though with Batman dead he was the leader and Huntress was the sidekick.
    Right now Kara is definitely associated with the name Supergirl. But if they consistently called her Superwoman from now on I think people would change just as fast as Carol Danvers started being called Captain Marvel instead of Ms Marvel. I never read or hear people calling Carol Danvers Ms Marvel anymore.
    That's probably because Kamala Khan well and truly owns the Ms. Marvel name now.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The way I see it, in order to have Kara be Superwoman is to introduce a new Supergirl DC wants to promote.
    Yeah. I wonder if they ever considered having Gotham Girl take the mantle? She has similar powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I prefer her to be a young adult. It'd be one thing if she were a teenager and allowed to actually age but DC isnt really about that life anymore. And let her be something besides a reporter like Clark.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I prefer her to be a young adult. It'd be one thing if she were a teenager and allowed to actually age but DC isnt really about that life anymore. And let her be something besides a reporter like Clark.
    I can't think of a worse career than that of a journalist these days.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think I've weighed in on this yet, so let me just say that I prefer SG as a teenager, PG as the young adult (early to mid twenties---I see her a being a bit younger than Dick Grayson for example), with Jon being the youngest Super. I just like SG being a TT age hero, I like seeing her deal with school, and all the other normal things a teen deals with. It gives her layers that aren't present if she's just another adult superheroine. And it further distinguishes PG and SG, by giving them somewhat different focuses.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Yes, that's too expected....though as I said above I prefer that not to be a focus for her since I want her to be a teen.