Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Yes, that's too expected....though as I said above I prefer that not to be a focus for her since I want her to be a teen.
    I would like Supergirl to be a teenaged superhero going to High School, similar to Clark Kent in Smallville only she is not afraid to wear a cape and be called Supergirl. One needs to think long and hard about what sort of disguise she is going to wear, pretty girls like that tend to draw a lot of male attention, eyes will be on every little detail.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kalbfus View Post
    I would like Supergirl to be a teenaged superhero going to High School, similar to Clark Kent in Smallville only she is not afraid to wear a cape and be called Supergirl. One needs to think long and hard about what sort of disguise she is going to wear, pretty girls like that tend to draw a lot of male attention, eyes will be on every little detail.
    You mean no secret identity?

In the 80s she wears a brown wig and conservative clothing... well... in the first page. I don't know about the rest. I think she did wear a nerdy clothing and glasses with braided hair in Bronze Age. You can also have her having a completely different style like punk, metal or goth, something where if you wear a make up you look like a completely different person, but rebel attire will attract attention.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I prefer young adult. I like teenage heroes when they're emancipated like the cartoon version of Teen Titans. The family, civilian life and mentor thing is overdone.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    You mean no secret identity?

In the 80s she wears a brown wig and conservative clothing... well... in the first page. I don't know about the rest. I think she did wear a nerdy clothing and glasses with braided hair in Bronze Age. You can also have her having a completely different style like punk, metal or goth, something where if you wear a make up you look like a completely different person, but rebel attire will attract attention.
    Some practical consideration with wigs. Have you ever worn a wig yourself? Generally a wig has to sit on top of your hair if you are not bald. How do you get the wig to stay in place? We can't have it flopping off or getting spun around, and it has to be a really good wig, and Kara would have to color her eyebrows to match the wig. If she is going to gym class, she has to do a bunch of stuff like run around and do gymnastics without the wig coming loose and making it obvious that she is wearing a wig. Her Mom or Dad would have to cut her hair, it is hard to cut your own hair and do it right, so her adoptive family would have to know her identity to do such things. As for her hair being hard to cut, hair is made up of dead cells except at the roots, so cutting above that should not break the scissor, the same goes for finger and toe nails, otherwise she'll have real long finger and toe nails, and that would make assuming a secret identity rather difficult, so any part of her that is not alive does not share her invulnerability. Skin deflects bullets, but not fingernails and hair, they grow back anyway so it's not a big deal if she breaks a nail.

Incredible Member

Young adult.

Like Dick Grayson, she's a first crush character for lots of guys and gals and nonbinary pals. With an aging audience, you either have to deny that aspect of her character or it turns creepy. She belongs in the original Titans' age bracket.

Besides, Jon, Conner, and Natasha have younger ages covered. And besides having a different personality, I think Powergirl can work as a middle aged character. Plenty of celebs look like Karen, she's Kryptonian, and her Clark is around 100.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Young adult.

Like Dick Grayson, she's a first crush character for lots of guys and gals and nonbinary pals. With an aging audience, you either have to deny that aspect of her character or it turns creepy. She belongs in the original Titans' age bracket.

Besides, Jon, Conner, and Natasha have younger ages covered. And besides having a different personality, I think Powergirl can work as a middle aged character. Plenty of celebs look like Karen, she's Kryptonian, and her Clark is around 100.
    100%, though I tend to think of Karen as more 28, Dick around 25-26 and Kara is like solidly 16 (first arrival)-22 (current)? As the Batfam has ballooned, I kind of pushed her into more Tim's age range.

Your reasoning on them being the first crush gateways, however, is a sound reason for wanting to keep them young and vital.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gerard View Post
    Young adult.

The audience has always been aging and replaced with new generations since the 1960s, if the audience is aging and not being replaced then Supergirl has some serious problems. I think Supergirl should stay young with each interaction, keep her in the high school to college age. Just because her audience is aging doesn't mean we have to age her to match, people did not stop having children. So when they reboot her character again, start her out at 14 and let her age with the next generation of teens, instead of starting her off in her mid twenties. I think she was meant to be a teenage superheroine, if you want a grown up feminist Icon, that is what Wonder Woman is for.

I always viewed Karen as being well into her 30's.

As I've stated before I think Kara should be college aged with Connor as a teenager and of course Jon being a pre schooler. The Super Family has all the age ranges covered.

Conner should not be a teenager anymore. And I think Kara should at least be Dick Grayson's age, if not older.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I always viewed Karen as being well into her 30's.

As I've stated before I think Kara should be college aged with Connor as a teenager and of course Jon being a pre schooler. The Super Family has all the age ranges covered.
    You get a 10 year run if you start Kara as a Freshman in high school then have her go through 4 years of College then a final two years pursuing her masters degree and then you reboot her back in high school again for the next iteration, star her off in College then you only get 6 years. Anyway the most interesting part are the social interactions, not her sitting in class and taking notes. From my experience, high school had the most drama, it would be ashame to skip over those years especially for a superheroine. Why? Because high school represents a cross-section of society more than College. High School is mandatory, therefore there is all sorts of people there that don't want to be, thus they are troublemakers. College by contrast is tamer, there is not a lot of drama in College as most people are of like mind in getting good grades or they don't last. Animal House days are long gone.