Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I'm fine with either since it depends on continuity. I was thinking that current comics Supergirl was around Cyborg's age.
    "Cable was right!"

I prefer Supergirl as a teenager as a rule. The reason she's called Supergirl and not Superwoman isn't because of institutionalized sexism like the TV show claims, it's just because she's very openly and obviously a kid. Contrast Spider-Man, hiding his face and putting on a deeper voice when around people who know him to seem older than he really is. Supergirl doesn't have as much to hide.

I mean, I get not making her a kid on TV too, for a bunch of reasons. They wanted a procedural for... some... reason... they wanted a workplace environment that... doesn't reflect real working experiences for people her age... but most importantly, it's just easier to film with someone who can treat the show as a full time job and not a side gig they have to do school on top of.

But in a perfect world, in comics and hopefully in movies, I want to see a Kara who is obviously a kid.

Admittedly, this also slots in with my ideal Superman age - I like him to be on the younger side of things. If she's a young adult and so is he, you run into Smallville where they're just the same age. Naw, you know?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

Considering most people's brains don't stop developing until they're 25-26, I'm okay with her still calling herself Supergirl until this point. Once you hit 28 and start pushing 30, though, it becomes a bit problematic.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Young adult, maybe 21-24?

Mostly because my first Supergirl was Matrix, and that's the age range she always came across to me as.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As part of Nightwing's and Batgirl's (Babs') generation.
    Older thread, I know, but with Supergirl part of Nightwing's generation, would there be any reason she was never on the Teen Titans? And I presume you like Barbara to be Dick's age? I prefer her older, as she originally was. Or maybe like in the comics, Kara was a new college student when the Teen Titans formed, so didn't quite fit in with them?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Older thread, I know, but with Supergirl part of Nightwing's generation, would there be any reason she was never on the Teen Titans? And I presume you like Barbara to be Dick's age? I prefer her older, as she originally was. Or maybe like in the comics, Kara was a new college student when the Teen Titans formed, so didn't quite fit in with them?
    I think that it could be said that Kara was just never a team player, or that she appeared shortly after the Teen Titans formed - at which point the TT were already well established and more than a team were a group of friends. Or maybe, assuming a new continuity, Supergirl was a part of the team.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I think that it could be said that Kara was just never a team player, or that she appeared shortly after the Teen Titans formed - at which point the TT were already well established and more than a team were a group of friends. Or maybe, assuming a new continuity, Supergirl was a part of the team.
    I thought about Supergirl being part of the team in a reboot, but it just changes so much in terms of how characters relate to each other, long-term relationships, etc.

Of course, originally (and a reboot doesn't have to be like originally), Supergirl was around before Wally or Garth showed up (or Donna was established as a separate character or met any of the guys). And Wally was a ninth grader when he got his powers, and Dick was probably already 15 when TT formed, so about the age of Kara when she came to earth.

Retired

Supergirl aged up during the 1960s and 1970s, so she must have been around 25 years old, but then they de-aged her in the early 1980s when she got her own new daring book of adventures.

I prefer that Kara is 14 years old when she arrives on Earth. They can age her a bit after that, but I wouldn't be in a hurry about it. They have Power Girl to be the adult male fantasy object, so Supergirl can appeal to young girls.

A young teen when she first gets to Earth, but does gradually grow. Honestly, probably of a similar age to Jason Todd.

GRADUALLY. That does NOT mean leave for a few weeks to come back almost a decade OLDER.

Comic Geek in General

This is somewhat of s slippery slope, but.....if one adds a few years since Rebirth started, then Kara should be at least 17-18 by now........I say have her be a young adult (18 thru 21) like her Crisis Era incarnation (when she was a Actress/ Social Worker/ College Student/ Model (?)/ JLU Counterpart in Season 2........so, basically, let her grow older like Nightwing, Barbara Gordon, Garth, Lilith, Cyborg, Jason Todd, Tim Drake and Donna Troy

Wasn’t Power Girl still using “Girl” even though she was older?

Comic Geek in General

you just know that 5G would probably show Kara be her cousins age/ Power Girl’s age, though she’ll probably have the “S” and not the infamous window......

Comic Geek in General

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    A young teen when she first gets to Earth, but does gradually grow. Honestly, probably of a similar age to Jason Todd.

GRADUALLY. That does NOT mean leave for a few weeks to come back almost a decade OLDER.
    Like some other family members (I see what you did there)

Wasn’t Power Girl still using “Girl” even though she was older?
    Yeah, and I didn't like that. She was introduced too late for that to be a good idea. Though originally, she was a very young adult, I still think it was a bad call. Hawkgirl became Hawkwoman in 1981. And they had to write a story about Barbara not switching to Batwoman somewhere the in 1977-1979 timeframe. If she'd been introduced a decade earlier, sure, everyone was doing it, but she was introduced in 1976 - did things change that much in just a few years (I was not yet born)? After that, maybe inertia kept the name? I'm honestly not sure how old she was by time the '90s rolled around (don't know if any retcons changed age).

Anyway, I do prefer Supergirl introduced as a 15 year old as she originally was. But she needs to age at the same rate as everyone else. And if she's Dick age, should make it to at least her mid-to-late 20s (unless killed off). That means growing past the youth stage and having a real, grownup life (something DC doesn't seem to support for certain characters, while others are allowed it). She should have left the name Supergirl behind her by then. It's fine to choose at 15 and it's fine for inertia to keep it a while, but by 22/23, it needs to be gone, IMO.

Astonishing Member

I think I get the distinction in the initial thread question ... but like ... and it's been a minute since I've been there, but like ... what's the difference?

Supergirl's not typically depicted as a "young teenager". She always seems like she's somewhere between a junior or senior in high school or a college kid. But that's 16, 17, 18, 19. I imagine the TV show probably skews a smidgen higher and gives the impression of 21 maybe. But like ... a kid. All of those ages are a kid. And a young adult. Simultaneously.

I think I generally would always like to see Supergirl depicted in the vague general descriptor of "College Aged".
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I am fine with either.

On one hand, Kara being a teenage hero who has to go through the trials and tribulations of not only being a young hero but a young hero who is a legacy of the world's greatest hero is a great premise.

on the other hand, Kara being a fully realized hero is also great and going to university and getting a job (like she did Pre-crisis) has a lot of storytelling potential.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman